High altitude airport landing

yvesamuel

Hi,

Just flying to KSLC. As this airport is at about 14300 ft, I would like to fly at 240 n at about 14000 ft because 10000 ft is to low. I do not find where I can ask the plane to manage the spedd at this altitude.
Thank's

Yves

1 hour ago, yvesamuel said:

Hi,

Just flying to KSLC. As this airport is at about 14300 ft, I would like to fly at 240 n at about 14000 ft because 10000 ft is to low. I do not find where I can ask the plane to manage the spedd at this altitude.
Thank's

Yves

The aircraft correctly computes all of this information for you including the correct landing speeds, regardless of the altitude of the airport.  In fact, I have landed at KSLC in many different simulator aircraft (including the Airbus Professional aircraft) many times over without issues.

I'm not sure where you are finding that KSLC is at 14,300ft, it's not.  The airport elevation is 4231 ft, which is just over 10,000ft different than what you seem to think it is.

By "240 n", I'm assuming you mean 240 knots?  This is not a good landing speed.  However, if you wish to fly at 240 knots when landing or transversing the area then that's entirely up to you.   All you have to do is place the Speed Control in Selected Mode by pulling the Speed Knob on the FCU, ensure the FMGS does not enter into the Approach Mode (if using an ILS Approach do not activate the Approach Mode in the MCDU and do not lock onto the LOC and Glideslope, or do not establish the aircraft on an RNAV approach as any of these will automatically places the FMGS into the Approach Mode).  Alternatively, you can fly a visual approach.

I hope I've answered your questions.

Best wishes.

Hi,

14200 ft is the airport high plus 10000ft. I suppose at this altitude the speed has to pass from about 290 knots to 240 knots. And it is this new speed I would like ton manage. Of course, landing speed is not 240 knots, but about 140 knots. I know this.

So my question is : I want to reduce speed to 240 knots higher then 10 000 ft. Is this possible?

Thank's

Yves

• Deputy Sheriffs

Again, the airport is not at 14200 ft. And of course you can go at/below 240 kts above FL100, BUT:

- Why

- asked by ATC?

- constraints in the flightplan?

- taken various parameters like weight, wind etc into account?

And how to do so, Dave already told you.

2 hours ago, yvesamuel said:

So my question is : I want to reduce speed to 240 knots higher then 10 000 ft. Is this possible?

Absolutely.  Use the Open Descent or Selected Mode.

• 3 weeks later...

Dear @yvesamuel,

If what you are looking for is the funtion of the FMS to automatically limit your speed at a certain threshold - usually 250kt below 10000' AAL - you have that option in the vertical revision page.

To access vertical revision page simply click on one of the right LSKs related to any climb or descend waypoint. This will open the vertical revision page for that waypoint.

Here you will find, among other options, CLB SPD LIM or DES SPD LIM that can be edited for your needs. In your particular case I assume you wanna use 240/14300.

Just as additional info, 4300ft airfield is not considered an high altitude yet. Usually thats for 8000'+

Have a great day!

• Deputy Sheriffs

Hello Mats,

This is support forum for 64 bit Airbus. But to quickly answer your question in general, the aircraft takes the airport elevation automatically from the database.

Archived