Will the newer A320 solve my problems ?

I posted here recently enquiring about whether there would be any significant benefit retiring my old AXE and purchasing the newer version of the A320/A321 ( not the Professional as I still use FSX ).  I was still debating whether to go ahead or not.  However, in the last few weeks I have been getting a lot of CTD either just after take off, or just as I exit the runway on landing.    So I am thinking I now have no real option other than to buy the newer version.

The event Viewer is reporting faults in either FMGS.DLL, or  MSVCR80.dll

Faulting module name: fmgs.dll, version: 1.2.3.35, time stamp: 0x52684e5b

Exception code: 0xc0000005

Faulting module name: MSVCR80.dll, version: 8.0.50727.9659, time stamp: 0x5c7d6589

Exception code: 0xc000000d

I have spent time looking through the old AXE forum posts and tried many of the purported fixes and and reinstalled all my VC++ redist, but the problem persists.   Tried reinstalling too.  I think I have run out of options.   Frustrating as I have used this aircraft for years with few issues

My concern is that I buy the newer version only to have the same issues.   Can you say with any confidence that these errors a feature of the AXE only ?

• Deputy Sheriffs

You will never get a 100% guarantee that a certain software runs 100% error free on your specific system. There are simply too many variables involved.

There were and still are people getting certain errors, while the vast majortity never saw those errors. Like me. For example, I got this fmgs.dll error in the early times of the AXE as a betatester, but the last time I saw this error is many many years ago. I never saw it with any versions following the AXE. Also the devs never could really reproduce this type of error. They had some ideas (but never100% sure), offered an alternate fmgs.dll that worked for most people, but for some not. And this comes up most in combination with other errors like the msvcr80.dll (or other dlls being part of the OS), which are clearly a sign that something is broken on a system. We never saw it on a fresh installed and latest version of Windows.

When you google for the msvcr80.dll error, you will see that at appears since years with almost any kind of software. What it makes so complicated is the fact, that for the same file are different version available and should be installed on a system. Thats why we asked peole to install ALL versions of the MS Visual C++ Redistributables, starting from 2005 up to 2019. Because each version is not an update, e.g. from 2005 to 2008, but a completely other version.

And it gets more complicated, when you run an unsupported OS like Windows 7.

Thank you for your reply.    I am on Win 10 and its fully up to date.    I only started getting these errors recently, so perhaps something an a recent Win 10 update has upset things.   I'll check the redist packages again and maybe remove them and reinstall.  I have found over the years it is necessary to do a clean install of FSX itself and that can sort things.     I looked about for the newest version of the FMGS.DLL but any post I found with the file, the file was no longer available.  Any idea where I can get the most recent copy ?

Thanks.  I've clean installed the bus and also removed and reinstalled all the VC++ redist packages.  I'll give that a try and see if it's stable.

Regards

Andrew

Firstly apologies to all for the rather terse ending to my previous post.   Frustration was getting the better of me 

Thanks Allesio.   I found various posts referring to this file, but had not found the original post.    I will try this file.   In fact I was about to ask if someone with a stable AXE could post me a copy of their FMGS.DLL file, but the original is even better.  Thanks.     I will persevere and report back.

• 2 weeks later...

Made quite a few flights this past week after installing the more up to date FMGS.DLL file, and so far no CTD .   I still get a worrying pause at times when I input something into the FMC and press the button, but it eventually accepts it.  So fingers crossed, we are functioning again.

Andrew

Archived