Survey: World's Most Extreme Airports

Sasa

Hi,

I forgot to mention Queenstown (NZQN - New Zealand) in my list. It's one of the most challenging approach in the world. Mountains all around and ditches on each sides of the main runway.

The IFR approach for runway 05 forces pilots to do a 360° turn just in front of the threshold !!!

Cheers,

Emmanuel

• Replies 82
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Yes indeed Emmanuel, that is a great idea. I flew in there for real in a NZ 737. Was a nice day so not too hairy, but quite spectacular. That would make an excellent add-on, I'm sure.

• 2 months later...

Hi,

here you can find some nice airstrips:

www.mountainflying.com/CabinCk1.htm

www.mountainflying.com/soldier2.htm ...

What about a combination with some missions?

Albrecht

• 2 months later...

Take a look at this:

Juan Fernandez Island (Robinson Crusoe Island - the island and a story of Alexander Selkirk, a man who had to live there on his own for 4 years inspired Defoe). Extremely beautiful scenery and a very small dirt strip for an airport.

Edit: the video starts in black and white but gets colored after a while and the second half is realy a blast.

The airport

Link to a picture of the airport

The island

ircview(w).jpg

• 5 months later...

All right, I don't have any actual suggestions, just a small request for whenever you decide to make one of these challengers...

When you make it, have another one or two similar airfields not-so-far away, so that we can hop between them in our Twotters. That's the reason I fly Saba-St. Barth hops. Short distances and breathtaking sights make awesome tours.

Do it! ^_^

Cheers,

A-Spot

They already have!! It's only Saba and St Barts which (last time I looked) won't be upgraded/rebuilt for FSX. I really hope FlyTampa, or of course Aerosoft (!) release these 2 amazing islands/airports for FSX. Both great challenges and so close to each other (and St Maaten) that you can fly short hops all day long. Perfect for the new Aerosfot Twotter too.

Uh, you guys who say Saba/St Barth is not available for FSX from FlyTampa?.. It's been out for a long time now....

http://www.flytampa.org/order.html You have to buy the St Maarten "Complete" package and it's in there.

I know that this "airport" has been mentioned many times before, but in my opinion, Barra (Isle of Barra, west of Scotland) with its unique beach landing should be done, with Aerosoft's usual eye for detail and sense of beautiful terrain and textures. Barra would be such a nice addition for Twin Otter pilots. Maybe a few missions - passenger lifting, a cargo run, searching for a missing sailboat just off the shore, etc.

I hope you'll consider it.

Oh, just info; ScotFlight for FSX already features Barra - but not in any proper detail. That's where Aerosoft enters the scene... ;)

Cheers,

A-Spot

• 1 month later...

It seems that one of the major requirements to make an airport challenging is the weather. Narsarsuaq in Greenland sounds very interesting but only if you can emulate the severe turbulence and wind shear. I think it would be very interesting to see Aerosoft team up with someone like HiFi Simulation to make a Narsarsuaq X with a weather scenario specifically designed for this airport.

Certainly having a weather add-on is compelling on its own but if there are sceneries and airports optimized to take advantage of more complex weather modeling then I think it is an equation where 1 + 1 = 3.