Engine Igniter

GuiLaMon

• Deputy Sheriffs

As the name indicates, they ignite the fuel in the engines. Normally just used during start because the resulting flame is self-sustaining. Depending on the installation, they're then turned of or left in their "Normal" position. They're also turned on when flying in precipitation and in some aircraft during turbulence. This is because these conditions can result in disturbances to the flame pattern, which would result in engine surging or shut down.

I uninstalled my Twin Otter when I finally said farewell to FSX, so I can't see the checklists to point you to where they're activated. I don't recall the switch positions you noted, but instead recall a simple guarded switch. If this is current, they're listed in this version as "Ignition Switch - NORMAL". Someone else will have to add to this with what the Aerosoft Twotter currently has.

10 hours ago, GuiLaMon said:

What do the engine igniters do? (L1, both, L2; R1, both, R2) Are they simulated?

They are not referenced at all in the checklists so I'm not sure how/when they are used?

The 'No.1/both' switches (left and right) don't appear to have any significance in the sim. I have always presumed they represent a dual ignition system that is more efficient or more robust.

The 'Normal/Manual' switch does have significance in the sim. When it is a 'Normal', the igniters fire only during the start sequence - you can hear them clicking when you hold the start switch left or right. Once the engine lights, it is self-sustaining and so the igniters stop firing. If you move the sitch to the 'Manual' position (which would more logically be called 'Continuous'), the igniters fire continuously. This guards against flame-outs, as the engine will generally relight immediately if it flames out. You can test this by momentarily withdrawing the fuel and restoring it - with the ignition switch at Manual the engine will falter but continue, but with it at Normal it will stop. You can actually get flame-outs in the Twin Otter Extended in cold weather, so it helps to use this switch. I have neverexperienced flame-outs in any other circumstances, at least as far as I know.

Thank you guys. So during normal starting and "good" flying conditions it's appropriate to keep it inthe normal position. Flying in cold or wet conditions, the switch should be set to 2 to ensure the engines remain fired up?

6 hours ago, GuiLaMon said:

Flying in cold or wet conditions, the switch should be set to 2 to ensure the engines remain fired up?

Make sure you have understood which switch we are talking about. The '2' position is for the igniter switches, which don't do anything. The Normal/Manual position is for the Ignition switch, which is the one you need to change. 'Manual' ignition is for flame-outs due to icing or for other reasons, such as (notionally) flying in heavy turbulence.

• 3 months later...
  • Deputy Sheriffs

Because we believe this topic has been answered we have closed it. If you have any more questions feel free to open a new topic.

• Herman locked this topic

Archived