Uncontrollable and unflyable

natbrain

I'm running 1.0.0.6 of the a330, and I find it to be completely uncontrollable and unflyable, especially on approach. My trim settings are correct, I've reinstalled a couple times, made sure my joystick calibration is correct. It is simply uncontrollable. Whenever I'm manually flying an  approach, I make even the slightest nudge to my Thrustmaster Hotas Warthog, and the a330, after a slight delay, slowly begins rolling to the direction I nudged my joystick, and it simply continues rolling. In an effort to correct for this, I nudge the joystick in the other direction, and that causes it to overturn to the other direction. Eventually the a330 makes a sharp bank of over 10 degrees and I'm panicking trying to correct this and I simply can't. For me, it is impossible to fly a stable approach on this aircraft. The responsiveness is too slow and too extreme at the same time. Trust me, it's not that the aircraft is a heavy aircraft. I've tried this at many different payloads. It's a strange feeling of the controls being both sluggish and overly sensitive at the same time. I still find that there's a response lag for the joystick, and once the aircraft starts pitching or banking in one direction, it's extremely difficult to make the corrections necessary because (a) there's a lag time, so I try to correct, but once I realize I've overcorrected, I need to overcorrect in the other direction, but the aircraft is still busy executing my first correction, etc etc and (b) whenever I do correct, it's either too slow, or the plane violent pitches or banks - the perfect ingredients for an unflyable aircraft and a complete disaster of an approach.

I get that this plane isn't the 777, or the 787, or the 747, or the 737 or a320. The difference between this though and the other aircraft has always been the responsiveness to the controls, and I know this topic has been brought up before. Hear me, there's a difference between responsiveness and heaviness. The a330 is a heavy aircraft - that has been made clear, I get that. But these issues are clearly more than just heaviness. It's the responsiveness of the aircraft to the user inputs. Whatever has happened, it has made it such that there is no middle ground in responsiveness for this aircraft - either my corrections are too little, or the plane makes a drastic jerk, which once in that position, is obviously impossible to correct because the controls are so slow to implement in the aircraft that you've been on the ground for 5 seconds before the software realizes I've been pulling my joystick in the other direction for a good 10 seconds.

To use an overused comparison, I find the 777 to feel heavy (easily heavier than the 737 and a320), rightly so, but I don't feel that it's unresponsive. If I need to bank 5 degrees to the left, it feels heavy, yet very natural to do that. I know that I can gently tilt my joystick to the left, and once it gets close to 5 degrees, if I were to put my joystick on neutral, the plane due to inertia may slowly continue banking so I'll gently move the joystick to the right to a slightly lesser degree than I moved it left in order to stabilize the turn. But on this a330, if I gently turn my joystick to the left, if I start moving my joystick to the right to stabilize said turn, the aircraft keeps turning left for another 1.5 seconds, leading to me overshooting drastically the 5 degree bank angle. So maybe it's a good idea to correct a tiny bit more to the right. So I try that, but this time, the plane violent banks right. No middle ground, and very slow (again, not heavy). There's nothing natural about this. Different planes feel different, rightly so, but I don't think pilots should feel like they're fighting the aircraft. Pilots generally say that planes will fly themselves, that's not the case here. This must be looked at. I know a lot of work has gone into this, but as it is now, I simply cannot fly it. It's just frustrating because I paid $70 for a product that I never got to try out, and now I'm stuck with it. So this must be fixed.

Once last thing to add, in order to show that I feel like this is a responsiveness issue and not a heaviness issue, I’d like to talk also about my experience with the Aerosoft A318-A321 series. Now, I haven’t used that product since I was with FSX, so it might’ve changed a lot since then but when I had it, but I had a chance to try the smaller buses and also had a very hard time flying stable approaches even in calm weather because the responsiveness simply felt mushy. It wasn’t a heaviness issue. This was the number 1 reason why I switched to the FSLabs A320. Since the Aerosoft a320 and the FSL A320 model the same aircraft, this should isolate the variable of aircraft type. And yet, using the FSL a320, even in gusty conditions, my approaches were stable. Even though both products handled like lighter aircraft, the FSL product was so much more responsive and smooth, making it much easier to control and correct for small deviations. When it comes to heaviness, an a330 should simply require more muscle power to do the same maneuvers, but the execution of the inputs from the flight stick should still feel connected with what the plane is doing, and in my experience, and in the experience of many others, it appears the reason why the Aerosoft a318-321 and a330s are so hard to fly isn’t due to heaviness but because it feels like what I’m telling the plane to do with my joystick is disconnected with what the plane actually does. 

As a result, flying the Aerosoft a330 turns into a wrestling match between the user and the aircraft. 

5 hours ago, natbrain said:

'm running 1.0.0.6 of the a330, and I find it to be completely uncontrollable and unflyable, especially on approach.

Hello my friend, sorry to hear you are experiencing issues.

The good news is that we understand the issues you're having, why they occur and what causes them.

Before we I can help, we'll need a little information. This information will give us the big picture of things in order to best help you.

Would you be good enough please to provide your complete systems specifications including:

1. CPU and any overclock you may have,

2. Type of processor cooling,

3. The speed rating and amount of RAM on  your motherboard,

4. The type and size of your hard disks,

5. The type of GPU  that you're running including the amount of VRAM it has.

6. Would you also please provide screen shots of the following P3D settings:

-Traffic Settings

- Display Settings

- World Settings

- Lighting Settings

7. Do you have GSXv2 installed?

8. The type of resolution of any AI Aircraft models you have installed.

9. Do you run any type of software in conjunction with P3D?  This would include FS2Crew, MCE and similar programs.

10. Do you have ANY non-native P3Dv4 addons installed?

11. Do you run any type of Remote Server for placing the MCDU on a tablet?

12. When is the last time you updated your computer drivers?

13. How long has it been since you did a full wipe and re-installation of P3D?

14. Which weather engine to you use?

15. Do you use custom weather textures? If so, which ones and what resolution are they set to?

I know that's a lot of information, but it's better to get it all out rather than our asking piecemeal.

Looking forward to hearing back from you.

5 hours ago, DaveCT2003 said:

Hello my friend, sorry to hear you are experiencing issues.

The good news is that we understand the issues you're having, why they occur and what causes them.

Before we I can help, we'll need a little information. This information will give us the big picture of things in order to best help you.

Would you be good enough please to provide your complete systems specifications including:

1. CPU and any overclock you may have,

i9-9900k, overclocked to 5 Ghz. I got a binned CPU so it's guaranteed to be stable at that, and after some stress testing of my own and hours of using P3D and other games, I can stay it's very stable.

2. Type of processor cooling,

I use liquid cooling. NZXT Kraken X62. Additionally, I've retrofitted it with my own Noctua fans and put Noctua fans all over my case to ensure positive pressure and sufficient cooling. Temperature monitoring during P3D rarely averages above 80C, and is usually in the 60s to low 70s, which is very safe for the i9-9900k.

3. The speed rating and amount of RAM on  your motherboard,

G Skill Trident Z 2800Mhz 32GB RAM. Full product code is F4-2800C14D-32GTZ. Timing 14-14-14-35 with a CAS Latency 14. I am running an XMP profile in order to get it to 2800MHz.

4. The type and size of your hard disks,

Samsung 860 EVO 4TB 2.5 Inch SATA III Internal SSD (MZ-76E4T0B/AM)

5. The type of GPU  that you're running including the amount of VRAM it has.

ASUS ROG STRIX GeForce GTX 1080 TI 11GB. It is overclocked with a Core Clock of +113 MHz and +595Mhz on the Memory clock. Intensive testing has confirmed that is stable. 

6. Would you also please provide screen shots of the following P3D settings:

-Traffic Settings

70% just for the commercial aviation, 0% everything else

- Display Settings

FXAA: Off

AA: 4xMSAA + 4xSSAA on Nvidia Inspector

Texture Filtering: 16x

Texture Resolution: Ultra

Resolution: 2560x1440x32

Vsync: Off

Target frame rate: Unlimited, but externally limited to 30

Wide view and Mipmac VC checked

0 2-D transparency

- World Settings

LOD Radius: High

Tesselation: Ultra

Mesh Res: 5m

Texture Res: 7 cm

Scenery complexity: Extremely Dense

Autogen draw: High

Autogen vegetation: Normal

Autogen building: Normal

Water Detail: Medium, no bathymetry

Reflections: Clouds, User Vehicle

Both special effects to high

- Lighting Settings

Brightness: 1.30

Bloom: 0.65

Saturation: 0.85

Dynamic Reflection: Low

Dynamic Lighting, landing lights illuminate ground, and display lens flare checked

Shadow quality: High

Shadow draw distance: Ultra

Receive shadows on all, cast on internal/external vehicle, clouds, terrain

7. Do you have GSXv2 installed?

Yes. I've seen people have issues with it that are avoidable if they instantly load the aircraft, which I've done.

8. The type of resolution of any AI Aircraft models you have installed.

This I do not know.

9. Do you run any type of software in conjunction with P3D?  This would include FS2Crew, MCE and similar programs.

I run Projectfly, PF3, and Ezdok. I know Ezdok has had issues with the views, but running Ezdok configuration deletes conflicting hotkeys and I've had no issues since then. 

10. Do you have ANY non-native P3Dv4 addons installed?

Various sceneries here and there. 

11. Do you run any type of Remote Server for placing the MCDU on a tablet?

No

12. When is the last time you updated your computer drivers?

Not too long ago. Couple months back. About 6 months ago I completely reinstalled Windows 10. I frequently update the graphics driver. 

13. How long has it been since you did a full wipe and re-installation of P3D?

About 6 months ago when I completely reinstalled Windows 10. My issues with the controls for the A318-A321 series were on different computers so the lack of responsiveness persisted even across Windows installations and P3D installations and I presume the A330 would be the same.

14. Which weather engine to you use?

ASP4.

15. Do you use custom weather textures? If so, which ones and what resolution are they set to?

I use REX4 with Soft Clouds. They're set to DXT, 1024x1024. 

I know that's a lot of information, but it's better to get it all out rather than our asking piecemeal.

Looking forward to hearing back from you.

Like I said, I find it weird that it's only the Aerosoft products. And even when we take out the variable of aircraft type with the Aerosoft vs FSLabs, the Aerosoft is the one with the issues. And even across Windows and P3D installations it still persists. 

2 hours ago, natbrain said:

Like I said, I find it weird that it's only the Aerosoft products. And even when we take out the variable of aircraft type with the Aerosoft vs FSLabs, the Aerosoft is the one with the issues. And even across Windows and P3D installations it still persists. 

Thanks for the information.  I know  you provided the numerical values, but when you get a chance would you please provide screen shots of the P3D pages I requested?  After that, I'm hopeful that we can assist you.

Manyt thanks!

6 hours ago, DaveCT2003 said:

Thanks for the information.  I know  you provided the numerical values, but when you get a chance would you please provide screen shots of the P3D pages I requested?  After that, I'm hopeful that we can assist you.

Manyt thanks!

Please login to display this image.

On 1/9/2020 at 2:21 PM, DaveCT2003 said:

Manyt thanks!

Great news so far: I may have found a work around. I decided to configure the control axes of my joystick with FSUIPC rather than assign those axes using the standard P3D Axis Assignments under the control menu. I sent it direct to FSUIPC for calibration (kept the slopes for both elevator and aileron axes at 0), and what a difference. All of a sudden it's extremely stable. I just flew a perfect manual approach. I took off and I was able to control it perfectly without any fighting - I was having such an easy time with responsiveness I hand flew it up to 15000 feet, which I would never have been able to do before. No more uncontrolled or delayed banking or pitching, and when I stop telling the plane to turn, it stops turning. It's completely responsive now. I'm not sure how much I compromised the realism of the feel of the aircraft for responsiveness, but as it is now, the aircraft still feels heavy like I feel like it should, but just as responsive as all my other addons now. In other words it feels just like it did before but without the unresponsiveness. It must have been with the way this aircraft was reading the controls from P3D. Once I switched to FSUIPC, it seems to have gone away. Before you close this topic, I'll fly around a bit more, and give another update in the coming days. 

I was working on your issue last night and wrote half a page or more, but didnt post as I needed to do a little more research. But I never thought it would be control set up. I'll write more later when I'm back at my computer.

On 1/11/2020 at 5:18 AM, DaveCT2003 said:

I was working on your issue last night and wrote half a page or more, but didnt post as I needed to do a little more research. But I never thought it would be control set up. I'll write more later when I'm back at my computer.

So it looks like the issues with responsiveness were fixed by mapping to FSUIPC, and have stayed fixed since. Interesting how this works. 

Hi Dave, I have just installed 1.0.0.7 update. The handling is even worst than before. I have to pull the joystick till maximum for take-off.  And the trim setting is very difficult.... 

I have not tested anything else. Seen the difficult to take off, i shut down the sim.

I´ll wait for new updates.

Best.

Miquel

• Deputy Sheriffs

Hello Miquel,

The unresponsiveness on takeoff is probably related to a trim issue that we are currently working with the airbus where the CG value on fuel planner and MCDU3 does not match with the CG value the aircraft is loaded with. If you could post a screenshot of the MCDU3 Load & Fuel page and lower ECAM on F/CTL page I can probably confirm this. However, since this is most probably a different issue I recommend you to open a new topic for this.

Archived