Respect and Thankfulness...

Beat578

Dear Mathijs, Dear Aerosoft Team

Today I recieved a nice sitemail from a person i tried to help in a forum, ending with the advice, „to write only when i can help the topic or else shut the *&%$ up“. It made me think. What times do we live in, where you insult people you don’t even know for trying to help you? I don’t want to rant, I pitty those people, they must have been growing up in an enviroment or family where you did not learn respect and thankfulness.

If you even get those mails as user of a forum, I don’t want to imagine what you guys have to read or hear all day. So time to say thank you for all you do for us here. You are there day and night, i am sure you often check those posts in your freetme and answer them if you have time to. Such a dedication since many many years, that’s very uncommon. So thank you, Mathijs, Emanuel, Mopperle, Dave and Tom and many others, working in the forum with such a dedication, for all you do to make our hobby even better. It must be hard sometimes, to keep up with it when you are critizised for so many things. I sometimes wonder why so many people think they are in a position to command a developer what to do, just because they bought a license for a product.

So to conclude: I think I will still post things when I think it could hlep, but I like to send a huge thank you to all of you at aerosoft for doing this on a daily base!

And all others: please guys, try to show a little respect. It’s our hobby, something that should bring os joy and happyness. We should be glad and thankful for every plane or scenery that comes out that enrichens our sim even more. There are enough problems in the „real world“, we don’t want to poison our hobby with agression and hate as well.

Kind Regards

Beat @ LSZH

• Aerosoft

Even though it sometimes hurts (I will not hide that) 99% of customers are just nice people and I will be damned if I let the 1% be important. Often you find those are minors btw

But there is a change indeed. I have been moderating forums for more then 30 years (started on Compuserve) and for the first 22 years I never had to ban anybody, right now we ban one person every two months or so.

Thankfully, today people are not really anonomous in social media, and people get fired, denied promotions or not hired countless times each day for what they posted in social media, even if it was years ago. There is an entirely new business sector that companies use for this quick type of background check. Afterall, if you REALLY want to know what type of person someone is before you hire them, look how they behave when they think nobody is looking or they are anonomous! Doing this actually saves companies a LOT of money.

Every once in a while we get requests to close forum account, for all sorts of reasons.  The first thing I do is check what a user has posted and if they've been, well lets just say "bad" then I won't delete their account, instead I will deny them access but keep the posts. They act in a publically unacceptable way, I want them to get what they deserve.

Anonomous? Ha! Not anymore, not by a long shot.

33 minutes ago, Mathijs Kok said:

started on Compuserve

@Mathijs Kok,

I am impressed you remember that!!!  I doubt this present generation knows what Compuserve is  :) I did not know you could use Compuserve in Germany. I thought it was America based???

Regards,

Aharon

11 minutes ago, Aharon said:

I am impressed you remember that!!!

I'm impressed anytime Mathijs, Hanse or I remember anything from the 70s or 80s. For that matter, the 60s as well!

• Deputy Sheriffs
3 hours ago, Aharon said:

did not know you could use Compuserve in Germany. I thought it was America based???

Mathijs is not the only one who grew up in Compuserve ;)

They had dial-in knots all over the world. 

• Deputy Sheriffs
3 hours ago, Tom A320 said:

Mathijs is not the only one who grew up in Compuserve ;)

They had dial-in knots all over the world. 

Certainly not. In the Netherlands it was about the first online service. And there it was where forums became popular. Only years later the internet came available for home users. Mathijs and I were part of the moderator team on FSFORUM, but oh boy, those chief moderators were very strict on what people were allowed to write and not exactly in line with what us "freedom loving" Dutchies were used to. :)

I grew up using AOL... And boy, there was no "secretly dialing in" to play or read or watch movies all night. It has been as loud as your 330 starting at full speakers and you had 3 Minutes to download a picture or hours to download a file with 10 MB, what would have been a huge file... :)

• Aerosoft
On 1/8/2020 at 11:23 PM, Eric Bakker said:

Certainly not. In the Netherlands it was about the first online service. And there it was where forums became popular. Only years later the internet came available for home users. Mathijs and I were part of the moderator team on FSFORUM, but oh boy, those chief moderators were very strict on what people were allowed to write and not exactly in line with what us "freedom loving" Dutchies were used to. :)

They were indeed. I was kicked out because I wrote [shit]-[F7] by accident instead of [shiFt]-[F7]. Honestly.

Can't remember what Shift-F7 did in ATP.... But then again many here won't even know what ATP is.

• Deputy Sheriffs
10 hours ago, Mathijs Kok said:

They were indeed. I was kicked out because I wrote [shit]-[F7] by accident instead of [shiFt]-[F7]. Honestly.

Can't remember what Shift-F7 did in ATP.... But then again many here won't even know what ATP is.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Flight_Assignment%3A_A.T.P.?wprov=sfla1

vor 17 Stunden , Mathijs Kok sagte:

Haha, oh I remeber very well, it was a box with a view of a cockpit flyint into a sunset... It was my fist touch with ATC in a sim...

By the way: mabe you should rename the thread to Respect and Thankfulness and very old memories :)

Archived