fuel counter in FMS perf page and engine starts

jalexb88

Hi,

Thank you for the great update is much appreciated.

I am am a little disappointed because I was hopping that the engine start and fuel counter in the FMS perf page was repaired.

Its a snag that I reported since the first CRJ version. Let me know if they anything I could do to help. I am an active flight instructor on CRJ.

Thank you and happy new year.

On 1/4/2020 at 11:54 PM, jalexb88 said:

Hi,

Thank you for the great update is much appreciated.

I am am a little disappointed because I was hopping that the engine start and fuel counter in the FMS perf page was repaired.

Its a snag that I reported since the first CRJ version. Let me know if they anything I could do to help. I am an active flight instructor on CRJ.

Thank you and happy new year.

I assume that the engine start issue you are referring to concerns the unrealistically fast increase in N1, N2 and EGT on light off. Unfortunately, that is probably not something that can be easily changed. I’m pretty sure that “under the hood”, the CRJ uses default FSX/P3D systems for many functions, and the default engine modeling has always suffered from this problem. 

I’m not a developer, but it’s my understanding from other threads I have read over the years that there is very little that can be done to “slow down” the start sequence when modeling a jet engine using the standard FSX/P3D SDK. I believe the only way around it would be to code a completely custom engine emulation that runs outside of the main sim process. This is what PMDG and Flight Sim Labs have done in their products - which are in a much higher price class than the CRJ.

It is probably a very complex undertaking from a developer’s perspective, and would likely require reworking many other systems as well. 

• 2 weeks later...
  • 2 months later...
On 1/15/2020 at 7:40 AM, jalexb88 said:

thank you for the explanation.

On the perf page, the ramp fuel show show the the actual fuel in tank. I reported this issue a while ago. 

Thank you 

The FMS fuel quantity is actually independent of of the fuel indication system displayed on ED1, but I am unaware if there's an STC that links the two). FMS fuel takes the original amount entered by the pilot and reduces it by the calculated engine burn, and is mostly accurate. It doesn't take the APU burn into account though. 

We occasionally have to update the FMS fuel on longer flights (fuel density problems from various fuel suppliers). In the FMS 4200 though, doing this resets the fuel burn totals for the flight so, we gotta think twice before resetting FMS fuel. 

TLDR: The fuel sensing system in the wings doesn't talk to the FMS in the real plane

Archived