FSX/P3D sceneries compatible with P3DV4?

Greg Goodavish

• Deputy Sheriffs

Anything that is for "P3D" with no further version info is for the original P3D. When v2 came out is when we started seeing version numbers. That's an LM convention, and they get to name their own products. While there are no guarantees your older sceneries will work on v4, since you own them, simply try them and see. Since they won't have P3Dv4 installers, you'll probably have to manually point them to an install folder (I suggest something like "Add-ons" outside the P3D root folder, but of course without the quote marks), and then manually add them to the scenery library. If you find any of them insist on installing where a P3Dv4 executable is, just copy the real one over (or make a dummy one) to the root of the install folder. The P3D executable will never run, it's just to trick the installer. Afterwards, you can delete/remove it.

All this said, it's likely you'll have one or more that just look bad, have messed up markings or missing buildings because it wasn't made with the appropriate compilers for v4. Remember, v4 is 64 bit and some 32 bit apps just don't like it. Your mileage may vary.

BTW, since you mentioned "a ton of Aerosoft sceneries," I moved this over to the more general scenery support area to get a wider audience.

Best of luck and I hope you'll be able to find new life in at least some of your old favorites.

Archived