Destination Data and top of descent

I have noticed that when I enter destination data into the fmc, I lose the top of descent distance. I was wondering is it better to wait to enter the destination data till after I reach top of descent? The tutorial wasn't much help on this subject. So, at what point should this data be entered for a proper approach to the runway?

1 hour ago, Captain Fred97 said:

I have noticed that when I enter destination data into the fmc, I lose the top of descent distance. I was wondering is it better to wait to enter the destination data till after I reach top of descent? The tutorial wasn't much help on this subject. So, at what point should this data be entered for a proper approach to the runway?

Hi Fred

You shouldn't lose the top of descend. So it might be a bug. My suggestion would be to wait till you start your descend before you enter dest data at least until this bug is fixed.

Markus 

• Deputy Sheriffs

What do you mean by entering destination data? Rwy etc. or only the weather data on perf appr page?

If you enter the rwy and star just now it might be possible that you are now already past the new calculated TOD. How is the VNAV when it happens? Are you above the profile?

• Deputy Sheriffs
23 hours ago, Captain Fred97 said:

Ok thanks. I will wait and start my descent before filling in the weather data. Thanks.

I always fill in weather before reaching TOD. Never had any problem.

• Deputy Sheriffs

What data are you trying to fill in before the top of Descent?

If you add the runway and STAR it might push the T/D marker further but should not remove it completely. The PERF page should also be filled before T/D and should not remove the T/D marker.

Only thing that I can really think of here is that you insert the data so soon before the descend that the new T/D is calculated behind your aircraft and you should already be descending. The Descend data should be filled around 80nm before T/D to give it margin to move a bit in case the T/D should happen earlier than initially calculated.

Archived