330 : CLB thrust , cruise altitude , overspeed

Tozzifan

Hello,

I am sorry for not discovering any reply by searching

for the first time (1.0.0.5) it happened that, at cruise level, CLB thrust, the a330 accelerated into a slight overspeed, enought to set off the alarm

I manage to fix it by pushing back, just a little, the throttle levers, and keep the expected speed

if I remember correctly, sometimes it happened also with some other flight of the Bus family

just my feedback, thanks for the product

57 minutes ago, luko0211 said:

Its seems to me as the A/THR button is not active, so the speed is set manually and not controlled by the autopilot.

you're right, thence a further question

what disconnected it, since the 330 was on a long haul cruise, having nothing all along ? (I was away from the PC)

Did your indicated airspeed increase or did the aircraft go into overspeed at the same indicated airspeed?

If the latter then one thing I've seen cause this is a weather engine burp with barometric pressure. You can actually force this by running with a weather engine and close down the weather engine while at cruise.  Depending on conditions, it can really be something.

I've experienced both of these.

The only cause I can think of from the aircraft systems wise is the A/THR going into TOGA LOCK for some reason.  Did you leave the aircraft unattended for sometime before you noticed this?

13 hours ago, DaveCT2003 said:

The only cause I can think of from the aircraft systems wise is the A/THR going into TOGA LOCK for some reason.  Did you leave the aircraft unattended for sometime before you noticed this?

yes, being a 6 hours flight, I went away after a step climb, until 100 miles out of TOD....more than two hours

6 hours ago, Tozzifan said:

yes, being a 6 hours flight, I went away after a step climb, until 100 miles out of TOD....more than two hours

Sure, I understand.  I do the same thing.

I think my guess about something forcing the A/THR into TOGA LOCK is likely correct.  Weather engines receiving errant data from real world sources can cause this.  Thanks to changes made in various weather engines to smooth out such data errors have really helped to mitigate this, but it still happens from time to time.  I know of two areas where I sometimes see this. The first is between Chicago and Boston (just after the Detriot area, if I'm not mistaken) and one in between Instanbul and Frankfurt, somewhere around LROP if I'm not mistaken.  This errant data doesn't take place 24/7, making it an adventure doing those flights... lol.

Without more info (which I wouldn't have if I were in your shoes so I don't expect you to have it), the above is really my best guess here since I don't experience the issue that you did.  But I'm certainly not ruling out the possibility there might be a bug in our code either.  I will leave this thread open in case you experience it again, and might be able to share a little more info to help us track this down. I will also do my best to try and recreate this, and will ask my team of guys to keep an eye out for it.

Thanks so much for the report!

Archived