A330 Checklist - Fuel Pumps and External Lights

gjgriff

G'day, my preference is to do things manually therefore I never have the co pilot switched on.  Any automated functions such as taxi/landing lights coming on when moving is not something I like, I would prefer any automated option to be able to be switched off.  I think these automated functions should only be associated with the co pilot and if this function is not used, then nothing automated should happen.  Just my preference.

So, I have just about nailed the A330 checklist, using the Normal Procedures manual as a guide, setting all switches and dials manually but for the life of me, during Cockpit Preparation Checklist, I can not get the checklist to recognise that the Fuel Pumps are ALL SET TO ON as per the Normal Procedures manual.  I always need to skip this part in the checklist.  Is this an issue with the checklist?

Also, during the Approach Checklist, the last few items go like this:

EXTERNAL LIGHTS, then

CABIN SIGNS, then back to

EXTERNAL LIGHTS.

Is this a known issue?  And again, I can not get the Checklist to recognise that ALL EXTERNAL LIGHTS ARE ON.

So to summarise, I'm very happy with the machine, the only things I need to SKIP during all the Checklists from Cockpit Preparation to Parking, doing it all manually and not using the co pilot are:

1. FUEL PUMPS, during COCKPIT PREPARATION, and

2. EXTERNAL LIGHTS, during APPROACH and LANDING checklists.

Not too bad all in all, nearly perfect in fact :)

Thanks in advance for any advice.

• Deputy Sheriffs

Hello gjgriff,

Can you please give us a screenshot how your overhead panel is looking when you get stuck with the fuel pumps?

Same thing with the exterior lights.

4 hours ago, Secondator said:

Hello gjgriff,

Can you please give us a screenshot how your overhead panel is looking when you get stuck with the fuel pumps?

Same thing with the exterior lights.

The only thing I can think of for the Exterior Lights issue, is that I switch the Strobe Lights from Auto to On when entering the runway for takeoff and leave them in this position until I exit the runway on landing when I switch them back to Auto.  Can you confirm if this is correct, because my understanding is that in Auto mode the Strobe Lights wont come on until airborne, and then will switch off automatically on landing?  I'm pretty sure at least CASA regulations in Australia and probably other countries around the world, the Strobe Lights need to be on whenever entering an active runway?  But again, I'm not a real world pilot so I could have this wrong or not understand how the Strobe Lights Auto function works?  Also in switching back to Auto after exiting the active runway and setting the remaining lights as per the Normal Procedures Manual, the After Landing Checklist Exterior Lights Challenge and Response works fine :)

The fuel pumps issue I have no idea why the checklist does not recognise that they are ALL ON?  I did try turning the WING X FEED, OUTR TK XFR (AUTO) and T TANK MODE (AUTO) on and off in a range of sequences but still the checklist did not recognise the fuel pumps were ALL ON as per the Normal Procedures Manual.

Any advice greatly appreciated or if anyone can provide a screen capture of their Fuel Pump settings, when the Co Pilot is OFF, resulting in a successful acknowledgement in the Checklist that they are ALL ON, then I would be very satisfied :)

Unless of course my configuration is corrupt and if so, any suggested amendments I can make to any configuration files would be appreciated too.

Regards and thanks in advance.

Please login to display this image.

Just as an afterthought, and apologies for providing additional information in a separate post (I didn't have the option to edit the appropriate post) but regarding switching the Strobe Lights from Auto to On prior to entering the runway for takeoff, the Before Takeoff Checklist acknowledges that the Exterior Lights are SET or ON (I can't remember the response) as they should be in the positions as per the screen capture above OK.

• Deputy Sheriffs

What you should do is to check if your manual settings are identical with the settings the copilot does (if enabled). So I suggest to run the checklist one time with the copilot enabled and to see which settings are required for the CL to proceed.

Just one thing regarding STROBE: It is set to AUTO and stays like that until the aircraft is secured. There are various SOP's for the lights differing from airline to airline but this cannot be considered in the checklist. We have therefore decided just to use of of the major european airlines.

3 hours ago, Hanse said:

What you should do is to check if your manual settings are identical with the settings the copilot does (if enabled). So I suggest to run the checklist one time with the copilot enabled and to see which settings are required for the CL to proceed.

Just one thing regarding STROBE: It is set to AUTO and stays like that until the aircraft is secured. There are various SOP's for the lights differing from airline to airline but this cannot be considered in the checklist. We have therefore decided just to use of of the major european airlines.

Could you please provide a screen capture of the Fuel Pump settings you use in the A330 Professional, with Co Pilot OFF, that I am supposed to set... Because I have tried what you have suggested and the checklist still does not recognise that they are set identical to what the Co Pilot does (when enabled) as you say, so any further advice or evidence you can provide, that you have been able to set the Fuel Pumps to a state that satisfies the Checklist manually, without using Co Pilot, would be greatly respected and appreciated??

Unless this is an issue that needs to be resolved or is currently being ignored, which I would be happy to learn of, and therefore await the appropriate update in time??  As this is the only issue (other than the Exterior Lights, which I can live with) that I feel needs to be resolved satisfactorily please... Particularly as I do not have this issue with Fuel Pumps and the Checklist responses within the A320/A321 Professional checklist so I feel it is an easy fix??

With regard to setting the STROBE to Auto, I have also done this yet the Checklist still does not recognise this during the APPROACH nor the LANDING Checklists.  Again I would greatly appreciate if you could provide a screen capture of your Exterior Light settings that satisfy the APPROACH and LANDING checklists regarding this sequence, without using the Co Pilot??

Many thanks in advance.

• Deputy Sheriffs

Settings Fuel Pumps:

The following buttons / switches have to be ON:

OVH_FUEL_XFEED_OFF_PB

OVH_FUELMODE

OVH_FUEL_LSTBY_OFF_PB

OVH_FUEL_RSTBY_OFF_PB

OVH_FUEL_R1_OFF_PB

OVH_FUEL_R2_OFF_PB

OVH_FUEL_L1_OFF_PB

OVH_FUEL_L2_OFF_PB

Light Settings:

Please see the attached document....

8 minutes ago, Hanse said:

Settings Fuel Pumps:

OVH_FUEL_XFEED_OFF_PB

OVH_FUELMODE

OVH_FUEL_LSTBY_OFF_PB

OVH_FUEL_RSTBY_OFF_PB

OVH_FUEL_R1_OFF_PB

OVH_FUEL_R2_OFF_PB

OVH_FUEL_L1_OFF_PB

OVH_FUEL_L2_OFF_PB

Light Settings:

Wow, that makes it easier to understand...  always a pleasure, thanks for the support .

8 minutes ago, Hanse said:

Settings Fuel Pumps:

OVH_FUEL_XFEED_OFF_PB

OVH_FUELMODE

OVH_FUEL_LSTBY_OFF_PB

OVH_FUEL_RSTBY_OFF_PB

OVH_FUEL_R1_OFF_PB

OVH_FUEL_R2_OFF_PB

OVH_FUEL_L1_OFF_PB

OVH_FUEL_L2_OFF_PB

Light Settings:

I don't have this document?

where can I find it?

Can you tell me where I can find this in the Normal Procedures Manual or any other manual that comes with the product???

11 minutes ago, Hanse said:

Settings Fuel Pumps:

OVH_FUEL_XFEED_OFF_PB

OVH_FUELMODE

OVH_FUEL_LSTBY_OFF_PB

OVH_FUEL_RSTBY_OFF_PB

OVH_FUEL_R1_OFF_PB

OVH_FUEL_R2_OFF_PB

OVH_FUEL_L1_OFF_PB

OVH_FUEL_L2_OFF_PB

Light Settings:

Like this??

16 minutes ago, Hanse said:

Settings Fuel Pumps:

OVH_FUEL_XFEED_OFF_PB

OVH_FUELMODE

OVH_FUEL_LSTBY_OFF_PB

OVH_FUEL_RSTBY_OFF_PB

OVH_FUEL_R1_OFF_PB

OVH_FUEL_R2_OFF_PB

OVH_FUEL_L1_OFF_PB

OVH_FUEL_L2_OFF_PB

Light Settings:

I've just had another check...   I DO NOT HAVE THIS DOCUMENT!!!

1 hour ago, Hanse said:

Settings Fuel Pumps:

OVH_FUEL_XFEED_OFF_PB

OVH_FUELMODE

OVH_FUEL_LSTBY_OFF_PB

OVH_FUEL_RSTBY_OFF_PB

OVH_FUEL_R1_OFF_PB

OVH_FUEL_R2_OFF_PB

OVH_FUEL_L1_OFF_PB

OVH_FUEL_L2_OFF_PB

Light Settings:

This is not a screen capture of the FUEL PUMP settings, with Co Pilot OFF, where the checklist acknowledges that the FUEL PUMPS ARE ALL ON IN ACCORDANCE WITH THE NORMAL PROCEDURES MANUAL THAT COMES WITH THE PRODUCT.  Which was simply my initial enquiry!!!

If it is a problem that needs resolving then just say so, I will await an update that fixes the problem... no problem.

There is nothing worse then being told useless lies and deceptive information.

Pay some respect to your customers.

• Deputy Sheriffs

First, you should pay some respect to people who are trying to help you - even on a holiday -! And I do not tell you useless lies and deceptive information but gave you all necessary details and information. If you do not understand the information I gave then please politely ask again.  But you should think twice before you are openly accusing people in such a way!

Why do you need a screenshot if I told you which of the button of the FUEL OVHD section needs to be ON? But if you do not understand "names" please find the required screenshot attached, which I hope you can "read" now. You have to push the buttons L 1, L 2, L STBY, R 2, R 1 and R STBY so that the lights are changing from OFF to dark e. g. the OFF disappears. Then the CL commences.

And regarding the light settings document: This is a screenshot of an internal development document to help you to make the right settings!

• Deputy Sheriffs

Because we believe this topic has been answered we have closed it. If you have any more questions feel free to open a new topic.

Archived