Elevator position after start

Sharkbait

Second time I have experienced this issue, both in 1.005. After engine start, the elevators are in the full down position and will not move. In both cases, I have taxied and at some point it has rectified itself. Three videos attached, first one is immediately after start showing a control sweep, second is the elevators wanting to centre during taxi (it does not always do this, it just happened at this point of the taxi), and the third is where it seems to correct itself. PFD and F/CTL pages up so you can see my stick position vs elevator. I checked the external model, and it matched the F/CTL displayed position.

Also, after it seems to correct itself, full aft stick doesn't move the elevator to the full up position.

Please login to view this video.

7 hours ago, Sharkbait said:

Three videos attached, first one is immediately after start showing a control sweep

Yes, this was the first thing I did. You can see the stick position moving in the PFD in the first video, and everything but the elevator responds.

For tracking, I had this re-occur yesterday, however my recording didn't work. Running v1.0.0.6

Elevators begin in the neutral position after start, then approximately a minute or two later (somewhere between finishing the start and the control check) they had gone to about 1/3 position down. When I did a control sweep, they would only reach about 2/3 deflection up. At some stage during the 10 minute taxi, the issue subsequently cleared itself.

• 4 weeks later...

I've just had this reoccur with 1.0.0.7.

I think it has something to do with when there is a tailwind component on the ground. Taxying out just now, when I turned with the wind, the elevators would go nose down.

About halfway through the second video I posted above, you can see the wind fluctuating (in the red info text across the top) and the elevators responding accordingly.

• Deputy Sheriffs

This is very strange. I can clearly see what you have observed as well on the second video how the wind seems to have an effect on the elevator position. However when engines are running and the hydraulic system is running the elevator should remain dead center unless manipulated with the control stick. And even if the hydraulics were not powered and the elevator was drooping, the elevator would be way too heavy for wind to have any effect on it easily.

Right now I am unable to recreate this issue and have very little idea what is causing this condition. One thing that came to my mind would be perhaps constant micro stutters causing the fps to go under 18 so quickly that the fps counter is unable to catch these conditions. But that is the only logical reason that could cause some weird behaviour from the flight controls. If you try this at lower settings or at default airport, are you able to recreate this issue? I assume you already have tried full reinstall of the A330 as well.

On 2/7/2020 at 7:37 AM, Secondator said:

This is very strange. I can clearly see what you have observed as well on the second video how the wind seems to have an effect on the elevator position. However when engines are running and the hydraulic system is running the elevator should remain dead center unless manipulated with the control stick. And even if the hydraulics were not powered and the elevator was drooping, the elevator would be way too heavy for wind to have any effect on it easily.

Right now I am unable to recreate this issue and have very little idea what is causing this condition. One thing that came to my mind would be perhaps constant micro stutters causing the fps to go under 18 so quickly that the fps counter is unable to catch these conditions. But that is the only logical reason that could cause some weird behaviour from the flight controls. If you try this at lower settings or at default airport, are you able to recreate this issue? I assume you already have tried full reinstall of the A330 as well.

I performed a re-install between 1.0.0.6 and 1.0.0.7 and have had the same result. Also, I've experienced this at default airports where my FPS are constantly in excess of 30-40. For what it's worth, my weather is provided by Activesky for P3Dv4, using the recommended settings for the 330 (provided in another post, to alleviate the typical problems with AS and payware aircraft).

It's not a product breaking bug, more of a minor annoyance, but it certainly is odd.

Archived