Setting Trim

gjgriff

Gday, is setting the trim only done through rotating the trim wheel?

Since the trim is now set to UP4.0, rotating the trim wheel to set the trim to T/O trim of a lower number like UP0.8, UP1.5, UP1.2 depending on the MCDU load etc, takes a very long time... it could be my mouse wheel, or mouse button settings... if anyone has any advice, greatly appreciated?

Secondly, in the A320/A321 Prof I can set this trim during cockpit preparations but I haven’t been able to do this in the A330 Prof, I need to wait until after engine start when there is hydraulic power I think, is this correct or is there a way I can set the trim during cockpit preparations like the A320/321 prior to engine start?

thanks in advance 

• Deputy Sheriffs

Hello gjgriff,

On A330-343 the pitch trim is automatically set at UP4.0 value after landing and therefore it's also UP4.0 on all the panel states as that's where it would be left after the flight. Fastest way to move the trim wheen is through left and right clicks that I have found.

I am not 100 % sure but I would believe that with the logic how trim is moved through the hydraulics, the aircraft would need hydraulic power in order to move the trim. Without hydraulic power it would make sense if the trim wheel was locked. But will have a check into this. Trim is anyways always set after engine start as normal procedure.

On 12/30/2019 at 4:54 AM, miquelpp said:

I agree, is a bit hard to set, now. I tried to move with the joystick, but it doesn´t stop.

Best.

Miquel.

Hmmm ok I tried this too, thanks for the suggestion... just by pushing the trim button on my joystick both up once only and down once only it does turn the trim wheel a number of times but it eventually stops... I actually use this method now because it turns the trim wheel faster and reduces the trim faster...  When I am close to the actual trim setting needed I stop using the joystick button and use the mouse button for finer adjustment.   This works for me and is a lot quicker than just using the mouse button and/or mouse wheel only.

Hi, for me its the same issue. But after 5 minutes of using the mousewheel getting at UP/0.0 (according to loadsheet) when being at 0.0 the trimwheel gets to minus 2(maximum down) and wont get up again. Trying to scroll back up when releasing the button it goes down again right away. Even diabled controls to check if any hidden button was attached. No solution... 

Jsut my input. 

• Deputy Sheriffs

I‘m using the mousewheel without any problems.

My mouse has the function to disable the mousewheel “notches”. So I just kick the wheel and let it spin. At desired value I stop the mouse wheel. Fastest way to set the trim manually.

I noticed that if you have the pressure on the toe brakes, the trim wheel moves very slowly.  I'm going to do some more testing on this and if I'm able to repeat I'll be sure to add it to our bug list.

• 1 month later...

Can you also test the pitch trim moving by itself after being manually set for the take off setting? I load a flight, the setting is for eg UP1.1 i set that but when I apply take off power the master warning sounds and the warning is the pitch is not at the setting I set and has moved byitself to some other setting. I have not moved any pitch setting.  I then have to stop the takeoff run reset the pitch.

Archived