Loading Cargo

EdwardS

In the CRJ Pro, I load my pax, fuel, and cargo through Dave. How can I calculate the weight split of cargo between the front and rear cargo holds? For example, if I have 2,500 pounds of cargo how much do I assign to the front and how much to the rear using Dave? Is this in the documentation? I was expecting to find it in Vol 3 Tutorial. By the way, this is a truly amazing plane and I appreciate the effort that went into making it.

V/r

Ed

I can’t give you a definitive answer other than to note the the forward cargo is primarily used to store smaller bags checked at the jetway, (those that might be too large to fit in the overhead bins in the cabin). Larger bags checked at the airline counter in the terminal normally go in the aft compartment. I typically split my cargo by putting 80 percent of the total in back, and the remaining 20 percent in front. 

You don’t have to use the front hold, but almost every r/w CRJ flight I’ve ever been on does use it for smaller (supposedly) “carry-on bags” checked at the Jet bridge. 

Using the front hold for some of the cargo might help the CG distribution when the aircraft is fully loaded.

Guess there are several ways to determine how much to put in each compartment.  I try to balance the load as much as possible by first adding the sum of max cargo in both compartments (call it Total Cargo).  Then I divide the max cargo of the forward compartment by the Total Cargo to get the percentage of cargo that would go into the forward compartment.  I do the same for the rear compartment.  For example, in the CRJ7, I would take your 2,500 lbs and multiply by 0.2419 to get 605 lbs which I enter in the forward compartment.  Doing the same for the rear compartment results in 2,500 lbs x 0.7581 = 1895 lbs.  

21 minutes ago, David Vega said:

Guess there are several ways to determine how much to put in each compartment.  I try to balance the load as much as possible by first adding the sum of max cargo in both compartments (call it Total Cargo).  Then I divide the max cargo of the forward compartment by the Total Cargo to get the percentage of cargo that would go into the forward compartment.  I do the same for the rear compartment.  For example, in the CRJ7, I would take your 2,500 lbs and multiply by 0.2419 to get 605 lbs which I enter in the forward compartment.  Doing the same for the rear compartment results in 2,500 lbs x 0.7581 = 1895 lbs.  

Yes, that’s how I do it as well. There is no hard and fast rule for calculating total baggage weight. I estimate 25 pounds per passenger. In r/w operations, some checked bags are heavier, some lighter.

Jim Barrett

Archived