Spoiler Deployment

ScottecLEMD

Fresh install of Windows 10, P3D V4.5 SP2 (only, no other addons) and A330 V1.0.0.2.  Handling in general is much improved.  However, I have an issue with spoiler deployment.  In the air during approach, I arm the spoilers - no problem.  However, on occasion, the spoilers will deploy if I input full left or right aileron.

No weather, no other addons, just plain P3D V4.5 SP2 so there is nothing else to influence this behaviour.

Nothing wrong with my controls. I've since added the A320 family and they work perfectly. All my controls are mapped using the P3D settings. 

Further to this, the A330 spoiler lever reacts intermittently to selection from either the default key or the programmed controller key. Ground spoiler armed works fine but selecting spoilers is erratic. Again, all works flawlessly in the A320s so not a control issue. 

• Aerosoft

Well the controls are not used the same way so I am not sure why you conclude assignments can't be the issue. 

We have seen 6 other customers with the same issue in the last week. Four of those used a clean P3D.cfg file and saw the issue gone.  One was 100% sure his P3D was correct and did not want to try that, the last one never reacted to our suggestions. So I believe simply moving the cfg to another location and letting the sim build a new one is a good way of making sure the issue in not in there.

Okay, so I EXACTLY the same issue in the 321 as well and have the following conditions verified:

1. NO axis is assigned to the speed brake

2. The speed brake handle is fully stowed, etc.

3. NO key assignments exist that are overriding any spoiler action. I've removed all of them, tested, restored them to defaults, etc.

No matter what, as soon as the aircraft (a321 in this instance) takes off I have the "F/CTL SPD BRK STILL OUT"

The behavior is definitely glitched. If I do assign an action to the speed brakes (an axis or a keypress to retract them) they will retract if it's held down. As soon as I release the axis or the key, they pop out again to approx 15 degrees deployed. 

As with the many other posts, this behavior is specific to the Airbus- other add-on aircraft have spoilers via axis and operate perfectly. This aircraft simply insists on deploying the speed brakes.

P3d config has been rebuilt too many times to count with no change. 

On 12/24/2019 at 12:18 PM, Mathijs Kok said:

Well the controls are not used the same way so I am not sure why you conclude assignments can't be the issue. 

We have seen 6 other customers with the same issue in the last week. Four of those used a clean P3D.cfg file and saw the issue gone.  One was 100% sure his P3D was correct and did not want to try that, the last one never reacted to our suggestions. So I believe simply moving the cfg to another location and letting the sim build a new one is a good way of making sure the issue in not in there.

Are you saying that the control logic between the AS A320 family and the A330 is different?

5 hours ago, sddjd said:

Okay, so I EXACTLY the same issue in the 321 as well and have the following conditions verified:

1. NO axis is assigned to the speed brake

2. The speed brake handle is fully stowed, etc.

3. NO key assignments exist that are overriding any spoiler action. I've removed all of them, tested, restored them to defaults, etc.

No matter what, as soon as the aircraft (a321 in this instance) takes off I have the "F/CTL SPD BRK STILL OUT"

The behavior is definitely glitched. If I do assign an action to the speed brakes (an axis or a keypress to retract them) they will retract if it's held down. As soon as I release the axis or the key, they pop out again to approx 15 degrees deployed. 

As with the many other posts, this behavior is specific to the Airbus- other add-on aircraft have spoilers via axis and operate perfectly. This aircraft simply insists on deploying the speed brakes.

P3d config has been rebuilt too many times to count with no change. 

Okay, so that is NOT the exact same problem my friend.  Not even close.  Please open up  your own thread.

Many thanks.

1 hour ago, ScottecLEMD said:

Are you saying that the control logic between the AS A320 family and the A330 is different?

Scott, that's not remotely what Mathijs said.  Please re-read.

Moreover, I don't have this issue, and I know at least 40 people that I speak with weekly who don't have this issue so it simply cannot be a problem with the logic.  Whatever is causing this on your system, it's got to be specifically related to your system.  I have troubleshooted this issue numerous times with customers and every single time it has been a result of control assignment issues - most often when the person used (past tense) or uses FSUIPC.  I have never seen an instance where this was not the case.

Best wishes.

Ok, clean windows installed. Clean P3D installed. P3D default key and contól assignments.  All works on the A320. The fact that you cannot reproduce this does not mean that the fault doesn't not exists.  I've rebuilt the config file, I have nothing  else installed. 

When the A330 launched and there was a deluge of company's about the flight controls, despite testing by real A 330 pilots, there wa a hotfix issued.  Why?

A complainabout spoilers by one person illicits less reaction.  Come on. I'm going to bang on about all my other addons simply because they work right out of the box,  I don't need to tweak this or that.  I install, load the sim and fly, simp.  

• Aerosoft

Was there a reason you 'rebuild' the config file after doing a full wipe of the disk? That seems to suggest you were not using a fresh one.

And we re of course not saying that the the issue is not seen on your system,, though we have simply never seen it ourselves. The basic fact is we simply do not know what causes this with 13 users and not with the other thousands.

Hey Scott,

I'm trying to understand what you are seeing a little better.  Can you help me understand?

Now, I don't know you or your background, so if I'm getting too basic then please forgive me, I'm just trying to understand this better.

The A330 has 6 Spoilers, and the outer 5 spoilers are activated for three different reasons.

1. As speed brakes, when both sides deploy at the same time.

2. As Ground Spoilers, and both sides deploy at the same time.

3. To assist the Ailerons during a roll.  In this instance, the spoilers will deploy only on one side usually before but along the ailerons (ailerons first, and then if more input is needed then the spoilers will assist).

When you experience the spolier deployment, is it all 6 spoilers and on both sides?

On 1/1/2020 at 7:19 PM, Mathijs Kok said:

Was there a reason you 'rebuild' the config file after doing a full wipe of the disk? That seems to suggest you were not using a fresh one.

And we re of course not saying that the the issue is not seen on your system,, though we have simply never seen it ourselves. The basic fact is we simply do not know what causes this with 13 users and not with the other thousands.

Yes, because this one one of the a turns yhat was suggested despite me says no that this was and still is a clean install on a clean windows install. 

7 minutes ago, ScottecLEMD said:

Yes, because this one one of the a turns yhat was suggested despite me says no that this was and still is a clean install on a clean windows install. 

Scott,

I'm not sure if you saw my post above, but let me ask, when you experience the spoiler deployment, is it all 6 spoilers and on both sides?

If possible, seeing a video of this would help a lot.  If you need some help setting up video recording I'd be happy to help, but for now let's just start letting us know exactly what you are seeing.

On 1/1/2020 at 7:49 PM, DaveCT2003 said:

Hey Scott,

I'm trying to understand what you are seeing a little better.  Can you help me understand?

Now, I don't know you or your background, so if I'm getting too basic then please forgive me, I'm just trying to understand this better.

The A330 has 6 Spoilers, and the outer 5 spoilers are activated for three different reasons.

1. As speed brakes, when both sides deploy at the same time.

2. As Ground Spoilers, and both sides deploy at the same time.

3. To assist the Ailerons during a roll.  In this instance, the spoilers will deploy only on one side usually before but along the ailerons (ailerons first, and then if more input is needed then the spoilers will assist).

When you experience the spolier deployment, is it all 6 spoilers and on both sides?

If I give you some background info. I'm a licensed engineer on the A320/330/340 aircraft. In addition I have spent several hundred hours on the flight deck of these aircraft. 

When im flying the A330 and I apply full left or right aileron, I hear the audible flight spoiler handle being deployed and I see the flight spoilers on both wings deflected. I then reset the handle either with the mouse or default P3D key and all is OK. It only happens with full scale aileron deflection. I have installed the AS 320 family which I have owned in both 32 and 64 bit version without any issues. 

As previuosly stated, all my other addons function correctly in regards to ground and flight spoiler deployment. 

3 minutes ago, DaveCT2003 said:

Scott,

I'm not sure if you saw my post above, but let me ask, when you experience the spoiler deployment, is it all 6 spoilers and on both sides?

If possible, seeing a video of this would help a lot.  If you need some help setting up video recording I'd be happy to help, but for now let's just start letting us know exactly what you are seeing.

I'll try and capture at the weekend for you. Right now I'm getting prepared for a 340-600  demonstration flight so,flyingbfor real 😉

1 minute ago, ScottecLEMD said:

If I give you some background info. I'm a licensed engineer on the A320/330/340 aircraft. In addition I have spent several hundred hours on the flight deck of these aircraft. 

When im flying the A330 and I apply full left or right aileron, I hear the audible flight spoiler handle being deployed and I see the flight spoilers on both wings deflected. I then reset the handle either with the mouse or default P3D key and all is OK. It only happens with full scale aileron deflection. I have installed the AS 320 family which I have owned in both 32 and 64 bit version without any issues. 

As previuosly stated, all my other addons function correctly in regards to ground and flight spoiler deployment. 

Thanks Scott.  I'm sure you understand that we usually don't know someone's background when we work with them, and I appreciate your knowledge and experience.

Any chance you use FSUIPC or LINDA?  I've helped three people solve similar issues (though not with the flight spoiler, but other off the wall things including control surfaces).  The third person was just last night and it proved to be the LINDA configuration.  The person before that it was an entry in the FSUIPC.cfg which should not have caused an issue but it.  Once the cfg files for both people were corrected they suffered no further issues. If your're using either or both, you can simply rename the config files or cut and past them to you desktop and give the aircraft another try to see if it still occurs.  This would at least eliminate those as sources.

I have well over a year testing the A330 almost daily and I've never experienced what you are seeing (though I certainly don't doubt that you experience this), and the other day I spent a full 2 hours yanking and banking at 30+ degrees to try and cause it without any luck.  Hopefully it's one of the config files and we can wrap this up, but either way I'll continue to specifically monitor for this and have my team of 8 pilots (separate from our Beta Team) do the same.

Thanks for getting back with me my friend.

Archived