MCDU Freeze bug

TheFl4me

I am unable to perform a flight to ZSPD.

Everytime I select the approach "ILS35LZ" and then appr via "PD401" the entire MCDU crashes/freezes and I have to restart the simulator. Wether or not I select a STAR doesnt change the outcome.

I am unable to click any button on the MCDU once it has frozen. Not even on the first officiers MCDU. Even disconnecting all electrical power, batteries etc (on the ground) doesnt help since the MCDU wont even turn off even without power (Everything else does).

Please login to display this image.

I have tried it with the Navdatapro data in the configurator and it was the same result (MCDU freeze) @Mathijs Kok

I have also discovered that this happens everytime I manually select a "appr via" waypoint, not just at ZSPD. 

I tried flying into LSZH ILS14 coming from the waypoint RILAX, when coming from RILAX you do not fly a STAR insetad you go straight from RILAX to the approach (its a IAF).

So I had to manually select "appr via RILAX" and everything froze again.

• 3 weeks later...

Apologies for the bump,

This issue is still a thing with v1.0.0.6

I am unable to land at LSZH with the ILS14 approach via RILAX.

I dont know if this issue was ment to be fixed in the versions following 1.0.0.2, but I thought id mention it anyways just incase.

• 2 months later...

Again, apologies for the bump.

v1.0.0.8 was released, and in the changelog it claims that the MCDU freeze bug has been fixed.

This is only partially correct @Mathijs Kok. The bug seems to be fixed with Navdatapro, but its still broken whilst using Navigraph data BUT ONLY when importing a company route that already has a STAR preselected (or maybe because the last waypoint in that route is already the approach via waypoint? just a theory).

I demonstrated 4 scenarios in this video, in the following order (Video timestamps in video description):

Navdatapro + no co rte = no bug (00:00)
Navdatapro + insterted co rte = no bug (00:49)
Navigraph + no co rte = no bug (01:57)
Navigraph + insterted co rte = BUG (03:08)

The 1913 airac cycle in the video is the navdatapro one, whilst the 2003 is the navigraph one.

The company route I inserted here is a fully manually made rte, euro control validated with 2003 etc... 
LSZH DEGE2S DEGES Z2 UMVEG DCT TOVKA DCT MEBAN DCT BIGLU DCT RATIN N869 BD P865 GINOM A308 SND A575 UKDUM W201 UNSEK A326 DONVO G597 LANAT Y597 MIHOU Y361 SAEKI Y36 ALISA ALISAC RJBB

I have added the .flp file to this post if you want to try for yourself.

I must once again point out that this does not only happen on this specific route, it happens anytime I have to manually select a approach via waypoint whilst using navigraph data and having inserted a co rte. 

LSZHRJBB01.flp

• Deputy Sheriffs

Which tool did you use to build the flightplan? And on which cycle is this flightplan based on? To me it looks like a mismatch between 2 different cycles.

I built the route myself and entered it into simbrief. Simbrief then generated the .flp file using AIRAC cycle 2003. So the co rte .flp file is version 2003.

If it was a simple cycle mismatch problem, then the bug should also appear when I used the navdatapro cycle in the video, since that cycle is infact an outdated cycle (the default 1913 cycle that comes pre-installed with the AS330).

But as mentioned, what we are seeing is the opposite. Navadatapro seems to work fine (even though its an older cycle version) while navigraph is the one causing the issues even though navigraph and the .flp file are on the exact same cycle @mopperle

• Deputy Sheriffs

But anyway, there are some errors in your flighplan:
- DEGES2S is not a valid SID for rwy 34

- airway W201 in you plan can not be flown in that direction.

@mopperle Yes I am aware the DEGES2S is not a RWY34 SID, which is why I selected RWY16 in the MCDU. I do not quite understand what your point is here.

The W201 airway is infact a two-way airway. It is flown both ways IRL for most inbound flights to South Korea and western Japan from Europe (This has been confirmed by a dispatcher friend of mine for a large airline that flies that route daily, you can also confirm this yourself by simply checking out a flight tracking website like FR24 or flightaware).

For some strange reason though it is marked incorrectly as a one-way airway on certain map providers (incl Navigraph). It is however marked correctly on SkyVector as a two-way airway.

Trust me, I have invested a very large amount of time in investigating this bug. This isnt just a simpleone-off event that only happened in this video or a simple user/handling error. This has happened on multiple flights on completely different routes with different origins/destinations.

EDIT: Regarding the SID, it would seem that simbrief somehow changed the rwy to rwy34 instead of rwy16. Be that as it may that is most definitely not the reason for this bug. Since it has occured on multiple other occasions.

• Deputy Sheriffs
7 minutes ago, TheFl4me said:

I do not quite understand what your point is here

It was just for Info. And the thing with W201 is indeed confusing as it is only partly marked as oneway.

But meanwhile I also can confirm the freeze in this specific case.

Archived