Takeoff | Pitch Axis

HighFlyer310

Hello all -

I've been enjoying the A330. Noticed some quirkiness in the pitch characteristics on takeoff. Have mostly been using 1+F & FLX.  At VR I begin adding back pressure on the stick and it takes some decent throw to get the nose to start pitching.  Rotation is smooth until about the point the mains leave the ground and I get an un-commanded pitch up like its wanting to fall back on its tail.  Not sure if this is normal or not.  Maybe rotating too quickly? 

Tom

43 minutes ago, HighFlyer310 said:

Hello all -

I've been enjoying the A330. Noticed some quirkiness in the pitch characteristics on takeoff. Have mostly been using 1+F & FLX.  At VR I begin adding back pressure on the stick and it takes some decent throw to get the nose to start pitching.  Rotation is smooth until about the point the mains leave the ground and I get an un-commanded pitch up like its wanting to fall back on its tail.  Not sure if this is normal or not.  Maybe rotating too quickly? 

Tom

I haven't tested the most recent version, but I can say that it typically does require some elevation and hold to fly the aircraft off the ground, which will feel a little different than flying the smaller Buses because of the size of the aircraft.

For this aircraft, it is very important to insert the PAX, Cargo and Fuel data into the Load Manager in order to obtain the correct Trim values, and then ensure these are inserted in MCDU 3 and the Takeoff Trim from the fuel planner is set. If you're not doing this, that would be the place the start.

I hope this is helpful to you!

Best wishes.

I noticed the same issue here. It was amplified by the pitch trim bug (now fixed) but the aircraft still pitches up rather violently as soon as the main gear lifts off the ground. Using the instant load feature and a CG of 32.3%.

I also can report on this somewhat strange pitch behavior. Exact moment is gear lift from the ground leads to a sudden pitch up. Also set the proper cg from Loadmanager. Fix would be great.

But I live flying this one. Really great work and nice plane with great cockpit texures.

• Deputy Sheriffs

Sorry for the late reply. Do you load the aircraft via GSX? When this happens could you check the Center of Gravity % on the Lower ECAM and compare it with the one on the fuel planner.

Using 1.005, with a 260T takeoff weight, 33.2% CG with UP 0.9 set, loaded using the fuel planner. I had the flight control page up out of interest during the takeoff, noticed two things.

Firstly, the elevators are very slow to move during rotation, to the extent that about 10-15 knots beyond VR, I used full backstick to get the nose moving. I understand there are posts about this being a bigger aircraft, but something is amiss here, perhaps either with CG or elevator controls?

Secondly, as previously mentioned here, since I had quite a large amount of backstick in, when I had weight off wheels the aircraft had a violent pitch up which stopped after returning the stick to centre. The aircraft is transitioning direct from ground to flight mode without a blend.

So I've been looking at this pitch thing for you guys and doing some evaluation.  I'm going to discuss this A LITTLE in my upcoming video on Fuel Planning.  In your future flights, please trim the aircraft to between 2.3 and 4 degrees trim (I don't have to say "UP" Trim, do I?).  I think you'll see a difference, at least I did in testing.

I'm doing my test to get the video out as soon as possible, I'm cautiously optimistic that I can have it out by Thursday evening (it's a lot of work that wasn't in my workload, which is already staggering).

7 hours ago, Hazmat007 said:

I can report the same problem. I have tried it without GSX and same result - a violent pitch up when rotating.

Edit - sorry, using the latest version of the A333.

What was your calculated trim setting and what was the trim setting in the aircraft?

Just departed in 1.005, 209T takeoff, planned trim was UP 1.2 but used 3.0.

Felt a lot better getting the nose moving. Also meant that I didn't have the stick all the way back during the ground to flight transition so no violent pitch up. Will report again with different weights etc. in the future sticking with 3.0 as a general rule for now.

Please login to view this video.

On 12/30/2019 at 3:45 AM, DaveCT2003 said:

What was your calculated trim setting and what was the trim setting in the aircraft?

Calculated and set 4.5 up Dave. Loading of fuel, pax and cargo was done via the onboard tool. I've since tested with several more flights and have not been able to reproduce the sudden pitch up at rotation I experienced on 2 consecutive occasions. Happy to put it down to user error, however it was strange and I haven't done anything different so...... I'll report back if it happens again consistently. 

Thanks and regards.

1 minute ago, Hazmat007 said:

Calculated and set 4.5 up Dave. Loading of fuel, pax and cargo was done via the onboard tool. I've since tested with several more flights and have not been able to reproduce the sudden pitch up at rotation I experienced on 2 consecutive occasions. Happy to put it down to user error, however it was strange and I haven't done anything different so...... I'll report back if it happens again consistently. 

Thanks and regards.

Okay, happy to hear this!

As a hunch, I performed a test flight earlier today with the calculated trim at 2.8 and I purposely set the takeoff trim at 6+.  After takeoff, the FMGS commanded a automatic trim (down to 2.8) and the aircraft behaved exactly as you described.  It actually shouldn't have hit AFloor, but it's a sim and we're asking it to do things incorrectly so it did.... lol.  I've seen commerical sims do similar things.

Anyway, I'm happy you're not able to repeat this.

Best wishes!

• 2 months later...

Dears, 

i just bought the A330 couple of days ago as well. I realised the same issue. It looked exactly like you can see it in FlyKenkus Video

Look at 3.44minutes. This quick change of the pitch cant have nothing to do with the trim nor the CG, cause its very abrupt. 

Any Explanations?

Cheers Pascal

Archived