A330 EFOB

KendrickC

Hello !
I want to talk about the EFOB on the A330. I noticed that before take-off the aircraft shows me my EFOB correctly, after take-off it shows me -1.5 ( It’s not always the same number.) and about 800 NM before the T/D the EFOB figures go up. And I arrive at my destination with the right EFOB.

All that to say that either the plane is badly programmed, or it’s a display error.

I just wanted to notify this for a future update.

Please login to display this image.

Hello Eliott,

Thank you very much for the report.

The EFOB shown in the upper right corner the the MCDU Performance page is actually fairly accurate (will become a bit more accurate in time), however as you've noticed it will change during the flight based on many different things including environmental conditions (winds, temperature, pressure) and of course the present rate of fuel consumption (rate of fuel burn) which changes based on the phase of flight.  This being the case, you will see the EFOB change considerably during the flight. According to our real world bus drivers this is occurs real world to.  The same pilots also tell us the EFOB is fairly accrate though we may tighten it up a bit in the future.  Just remember to consider the EFOB at the top right of the MCDU Performance page as being dynamic and changing from moment to moment based on the factors described above.

So, taking the above knowledge into consideration, can you work out why the EFOB figures might go up during cruise? Take a stab at it my friend and let me know what you come up with.

EDIT:

Eliott, I just wrote a reply to another customer regarding FOB and both types of EFOB, and I thought you might be interested in the post so I've provided you a link below.  Best wished my friend.

Hi dave while this doesn't relate to my post I can say the same is happening to me.

For example when I fly the A320 series from you guys I fill in all the MCDU pages then once flight plan is in I import the winds into it. This gives the accurate EFOB at destination and it doesn't change more that 200KG during flight as the MCDU takes the winds into account. And predicts the time of arrival accurate even while taxing. But doing the exact same in the A330 is seems its not seeing or possible just calculating the EFOB wrong even with winds all in the MCDU. The time is also mis calculating. Seems like its possible that the MCDU is ignoring the wind input.

With the A330 it tends to say I'm going to land with negative EFOB. This then creeps up to a more accurate figure. This is not the same behaviour I experience in the A320 series. It really seems like its behaving like the 320 did before we had wind input available to us. Meaning the time and EFOB were not accurate and could change alit over a long flight. I believe this guys issue is actually a bug. I have seen similar reported by others also. Look the products great and we all knew we would be reporting thing for fixing. 

Kind Regards.

Hi @DaveCT2003, we are having multiple reports like this as well within our VA on the 330 v1.0.0.2. (The  EFOB is indicating way too low of a value).

I personally also experienced this myself last night on a flight from LSZH to ZBAA.

For 90% of the flight the EFOB said I would arrive with 0.4-1.0t of fuel left (Simbrief predicted 9ish tonnes).

I followed the flightplan down to the letter(CI, step climbs, departure time etc...). 

As mentioned above the value start shooting upward once I got within a 1h range of the airport, by the time I landed th EFOB value was at 8t which coincided with the actual fuel amount I landed with.

I understand that these values fluctuate based on WX forecasts, winds, etc... however I find it very hard to believe that they would fluctuate this muchIRL,.We also have quite a few real world 320 pilots in our VA (granted, no 330 pilots) who confirm that this is way too big of a fluctuation.

Kind Regards

EDIT: 
I forgot to mention that I was also using Active Sky live weather and it was correctly imported into the Wind Data Link in the MCDU.

Archived