Release: Lukla X -Mount Everest

The BeaverX should be able to handle it (I got my 5 highest airports in fsx badge using the beaver) - however, you shouldn't expect much of a climb rate. (And of course Ctrl E will not start the engine as you have to adjust the mixture).

• Replies 68
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Although admittedly high by most standards, Lukla Airport's 9,380 ft (2,860 m) altitude is significantly below the world's highest. El Alto International Airport in Bolivia is 13,325 ft (4,061 m) high, and Chamdo Bangda Airport in Tibet is a "breathtaking" 14,219 ft (4,334 m) above sea level.

Yes, thought about doing El Alto for FSX as well. I´ve been there about 4 years ago. But the airport itself is rather uninteresting. I couldn´t make flying there more thrilling and more realistic than in default FSX by creating a detailed scenery. Never as much as in Lukla. There are some airports far more thrilling and worth a scenery here in the Caribbean. But still, I will keep El Alto in mind.

And about Tibet: It´s absolutely impossible to get enough fotos of a "Chinese" airport in this area. They will shoot you.

Bests,

Sascha

And about Tibet: It´s absolutely impossible to get enough fotos of a "Chinese" airport in this area. They will shoot you.

Bests,

Sascha

You shoot their place, they shoot you...not the best kind of deal you can get I guess! :shock: :lol:

Well done Aerosoft on this release. I was a big fan of Lukla for FS2004 and so will snap this up for FSX too.

What a pity you were unable to get permissions for Kathmandu photography - that would have capped this product off nicely. Maybe one day? I think the political situation is starting to settle now in Nepal.

Have you considered modelling Paro in neighbouring Bhutan? By all accounts one of the world's most challenging airports and reasonably close to Lukla to make flights between the 2 possible in a light twin/turboprop.

Following on from the thread above, other suggestions for some seriously fun airports would be:

Jomsom, Nepal - short hop from Pokhara, but nestled high in Annapurna range - similar(ish) experience to Lukla

Caribbean - Saba and St Barts. (FlyTampa.com have doen these for FS2004 but seem unlikely to remake for FSX - come on Aerosoft - you could pick up the baton here!)

French/Swiss Alps - Some of the exciting altiports, e.g. Corchevel and Meribel.

Pasto, Colombia - less well known, but dramatic airport location high in mountains.

Anyway, keep up the great work. Looking forward to the Twotter release too. (Any chance this will be similar to Digital Aviation's DO-27 in that you have to watch the engine intruments and treat her right? Hope so.)

Cheers all

PPanPan

Really looking at this product for purchase, but a question forgive me if it has already been asked. Do you depict the different camps scenery for the various camps (Advanced base camp, Camps 1-4)? Anyone who has seen the great discovery channel show Beyond Everest will kind of have an idea what they look like. Just curious.

Really looking at this product for purchase, but a question forgive me if it has already been asked. Do you depict the different camps scenery for the various camps (Advanced base camp, Camps 1-4)? Anyone who has seen the great discovery channel show Beyond Everest will kind of have an idea what they look like. Just curious.

If your question is if we can add the camps 1-4 to the scenery: Well, they are already there! Just look a bit closer - it's quite difficult to find a few tents on that massive mountain.

@ PPanPan

Thanks for the list! Some of those airports really seem to be VERY interesting! :)

Bests,

Sascha

Pasto, Colombia - less well known, but dramatic airport location high in mountains.

That's a nice one! Not a challenging approad though but very scenic!

Found a video here:

Just started a new thread where you can tell us about all challenging airports you know:

http://forum.aerosoft.com/viewtopic.php?t=15047

Bests,

Sascha

That's a nice one! Not a challenging approad though but very scenic!

Found a video here:

Glad you like my suggestions Sascha! The approach to rwy 02 in Pasto is pretty challenging actually. It is a circle to land approach started after an approach to rwy 20. Do this in marginal weather to hot things up a little! The undershoot area is breathtaking. The default mesh is no good though - I use some excellent freeware mesh from avsim which really brings the mountains alive.

Anyway, pleased I have inspired a new thread on this. PLEASE keep up the work on these great aifields. Cheers.

For all Lukla fans, is there a DVD available from AirlineHobby.com called Napal Aviation Holiday--A visit to Lukla Mountain strip.

I bough it in the FS hobby shop in Aalsmeer.

Many takeoffs and landings with the Dornier 228 and Twin Otter.

And you can see how well made this scenery is done.

Martin

I noticed some talk and thought about other sceneries here.

A thought of my own springs to mind - apparently there is a hidden valley high up in the Himalayas... it's called Shangri La...

One could make a fictional jigh altitude airport just for the hell of it.

Finally loaded Lukla FSX up last night - forgotten how challenging this was!

Lulka - I am sure the upsloping runway causes a visual illusion so that you approach too low. Having a steeper approach path helps, but makes speed control more difficult. That wall at the end of the runway hurts!

Phaplu - The only default aircraft I have managed to take-off with (downhill) is the Caravan. Just about struggled into the air with the Baron (mixture leaned) but ran out of airspeed soon after. Anyone using any other default aircraft successfully?

Syangboche - Gosh, this is a tricky one as there's not much room for finals and of course the air is even thinner here!

Love this stuff - more similar challenging airfields/missions etc. from Aerosoft please!

Cheers all

PPanPan

Approach low, the runway is sloping up, so when you fly horizontally you have already an angle with the runway. And use the Maule to practise.

This is the way I do it. That site is already loaded with different aircraft's from me, all crashed on top of each other. But slowly I get the hang of it.

Great fun, keep trying.

Martin.

Approach low, the runway is sloping up, so when you fly horizontally you have already an angle with the runway.

Well... I'm not too sure about that. When looking at some Lukla videos at www.youtube.com I had the impression that they fly in rather high.

Bests,

Sascha

Sorry Martin, I have to agree with Sascha!

I am certainly no expert, but if you fly low (and necessarily slow here), you can't see the runway properly, especially with a nose high attitude. Also, you'll be in more trouble (than you already are!!) if you have an engine failure - a steeper approach would allow the chance at least of a successful glide in landing.

I think a steeper approach is safer, once you can get the airspeed nailed. Would love to hear from one of the real pilots - do you reckon the read this?!

I can't tell from the YouTube vids, but do the pilots have the props slightly in reverse (called a beta approach?) to allow a steep approach without too much airspeed? I know they do this into St Barts.

Hi,

i have some strange problems with LuklaX.

If i start at Lukla, everything is fine, but if i fly to Lukla, it looks like that (Mesh res=19m, Mesh compl=92):

92313925vs0.th.jpg

66693858ov5.th.jpg

Why?

Thanks.

Every time I try and take off from Phaplu with the default Maule, I get an uncommanded and unstoppable yaw to the left halfway through the take-off roll. Not good as this takes me over the edge plummeting into the valley below!

I am taking off downhill with the mixture leaned. Any ideas anyone? Does the Maule have a tailwheel lock or something that I don't know about?

So far, the only aircraft I have managed to get safely into the air with is the Caravan.

• Aerosoft
Every time I try and take off from Phaplu with the default Maule, I get an uncommanded and unstoppable yaw to the left halfway through the take-off roll. Not good as this takes me over the edge plummeting into the valley below!

I am taking off downhill with the mixture leaned. Any ideas anyone? Does the Maule have a tailwheel lock or something that I don't know about?

So far, the only aircraft I have managed to get safely into the air with is the Caravan.

You are really pushing the Maule on that altitude. Does not really explain your problem but you really need turbines there. Try to keep the Maule on the runway as long as possible so you build up speed while the wheels are still guiding you.

You are really pushing the Maule on that altitude. Does not really explain your problem but you really need turbines there. Try to keep the Maule on the runway as long as possible so you build up speed while the wheels are still guiding you.

Thanks Mathjis. Yeah, I reckoned the Maule would be at its limits there (although it is used in a default FSX mission in Alaska at similar altitudes?). Was just interested to see which aircraft could handle it up there - guess you're right - tubines only. Bring on the new Twotter!

I believe the Maule isn't so powerful, take some of Cessna's more powerful models with regular engine and I think you'll make it! I think the Maule's 200hp isn't enough.

I believe the Maule isn't so powerful, take some of Cessna's more powerful models with regular engine and I think you'll make it! I think the Maule's 200hp isn't enough.

Thanks Palm. I only have default FSX aircraft though. Anything else in that stable (other than the Caravan) which can handle this? And remember, this is only Phaplu ... not even Lulka itself or the even higher Syangboche!!

The SF260 from realairsimulations looks nice as does Aerosoft's Piper Cheyenne.