Preselecting V/S in CLB mode

becas

When you are climbing in managed CLB mode, you are unable to preselect a V/S, you rotate the V/S wheel but it keeps displaying the current V/S.

When climbing in OP CLB, this does not happen.

I haven't checked how it is in a descend however.

4 hours ago, becas said:

When you are climbing in managed CLB mode, you are unable to preselect a V/S, you rotate the V/S wheel but it keeps displaying the current V/S.

When climbing in OP CLB, this does not happen.

I haven't checked how it is in a descend however.

Are you first Pulling on the Altiude Knob (taking the aircraft out of Managed Climb and into Open Climb) and then Pulling the V/S know and setting your climb rate (vertical speed)?

On 12/12/2019 at 5:07 AM, DaveCT2003 said:

Are you first Pulling on the Altiude Knob (taking the aircraft out of Managed Climb and into Open Climb) and then Pulling the V/S know and setting your climb rate (vertical speed)?

If I leave it in managed, when I rotate the V/S knob, it keeps stuck in the current V/S.

You don't need to first pull the V/S knob. You can keep the A/C flying in the mode you want, preselect the desired V/S by just rotating the V/S knob, and then you pull it to actually fly the V/S you want.

Bernardo,

Please forgive me if I've misunderstood your question or problem.  From my perspective, it seems that you wrote to us about having a question or experiencing a problem.  I then explained how to operate the system to answer your question and so that you didn't experience the problem that you explained, then you wrote back telling me I'm wrong and then explaining to me what I initially explained to you.  I don't mind  being told I'm wrong... I'm the least perfect person I know and I'm wrong all the time!  But in this case I'm simply confused, but I'd like to help you if possible.

If you're not having an issue, then GREAT!  But if you are still having the issue you initially wrote about at the top of this thread, then how I explained to use the system, that's all. I just don't know what else to say my friend, but I'll explain what I wrote in a little greater detail in hopes that it helps.

In our Airbus, you have one of two options for climb:

Open Climb (which is a Selected mode) is selected by pulling the Altitude knob and then selecting the Vertical Climb. Open climb will ignore any altitude restrictions in the FMGS (displayed on the MCDU Flightplan page). The OPEN CLB mode is engaged if one of the following conditions occurs:

‐ The flight crew pulls out the ALT knob
‐ The flight crew pulls out the SPD/MACH knob, when TOGA mode is engaged
‐ Acceleration altitude is reached, with CLB armed, and NAV mode not engaged
‐ Loss of NAV mode or vertical F-PLN when CLB mode is engaged.

Managed Climb (selected by Pushing the Altitude Knob) uses pitch over speed in order to maintain the commanded airspeed (commanded either by the FMGS or entered manually by the pilot in the FCU Speed window) during the climb phase.  Managed climb will adhere to any altitude restrictions in the FMGS (as displayed on the MCDU Flightplan page). 

With the Autopilot engaged, you have to use either Managed or Open Climb. If you are in Manged Mode, you can turn the Vertical Speed knob and it will display a vertical speed, but the aircraft will not respond to it because the system is in the Managed mode.

I hope this is helpful to you my friend!  Please let me know if I have misunderstood your question/problem.

Best wishes!

37 minutes ago, DaveCT2003 said:

If you are in Manged Mode, you can turn the Vertical Speed knob and it will display a vertical speed, but the aircraft will not respond to it because the system is in the Managed mode.

I am really sorry to come trough as saying you are wrong, I'm glad you are here helping me!

The issue I stated is related to what I quoted you:

If I am climbing in managed mode, I can rotate the V/S knob, however, in my side, it keeps displaying the V/S the airplane is doing currently, making me unable to preselect the one I want. This does not happen when climbing in OP CLB.

25 minutes ago, becas said:

I am really sorry to come trough as saying you are wrong,

LOL, never, ever worry about that my friend, it's never a problem for me and I'm wrong a LOT and you guys keep me on my toes! In fact, one learns more about the Airbus working with you guys while doing tech support!

On top of that, we have customers from all over the world and for many of them English is not their first (primary) langauge, and that can certainly add a unique twist to tech support!  I'm not saying that is the case here, but speaking generally.

25 minutes ago, becas said:

If I am climbing in managed mode, I can rotate the V/S knob, however, in my side, it keeps displaying the V/S the airplane is doing currently, making me unable to preselect the one I want. This does not happen when climbing in OP CLB.

So this is normal behavior. If you're in managed mode, the V/S input is disabled. It will display, but it doesn't affect the aircraft. You have to change to Selected Mode for the V/S input to work.

1 hour ago, DaveCT2003 said:

So this is normal behavior. If you're in managed mode, the V/S input is disabled. It will display, but it doesn't affect the aircraft. You have to change to Selected Mode for the V/S input to work.

I agree with you. A video would be the best way to explain to you but I am unable to record one right now.

The problem it that I am unable to preselect the V/S I want.

Timeline:

-FMA reads THR CLB, CLB, NAV. FCU selected altitude is 12000;

-When I am approaching 10000 I want to be climbing with a max V/S of 1500ft/min (company policy). While in CLB mode I try to rotate the V/S knob to +1500, so that when approaching 10000 I pull it;

-Because the aircraft is climbing with, say 1700 ft/min, when I try to rotate the V/S knob to preselect the 1500 I will want in a few seconds, it keeps it stuck at 1700.

The work around this is to pull the ALT knob, FMA reads THR CLB, OP CLB, NAV. When I try to preselect +1500 on the V/S knob, now I am able.

I would kindly ask to try to replicate this. Climb in managed mode and try to preselect a V/S value while still in CLB mode.

Archived