A330 Auto Step Climb in Cruise?

JTWilson23

I posted this in General Discussion, but apparently that wasn't the right place...hopefully this is!

I searched around a bit and haven't found it, but does the A330 auto step climb in cruise?  I didn't see anything in the configuration options or MCDU menu to indicate either way and haven't tested a long haul flight with her yet, but wanted to check for flight planning when I do!

7 minutes ago, JTWilson23 said:

I posted this in General Discussion, but apparently that wasn't the right place...hopefully this is!

I searched around a bit and haven't found it, but does the A330 auto step climb in cruise?  I didn't see anything in the configuration options or MCDU menu to indicate either way and haven't tested a long haul flight with her yet, but wanted to check for flight planning when I do!

I don’t believe that it is implemented, just keep an eye on the PROG page on the MCDU to see when you can step climb.

Yeah, I was afraid of that. I will often start a long haul flight overnight and sleep during most of the cruise, so that makes it a bit more challenging. Hopefully they will implement that feature like other existing long haul aircraft.  I'm sure there are many simmers in my boat that like to fly in real time, but don't necessarily have 8+ hours to sit in front of the computer during a full flight.

• Deputy Sheriffs

Right now auto step climbs are not implemented but they are definitely something that we will have a look later if we could implement this. And your feedback is noted. :)

Yeah, I'm acutely aware that there obviously isn't auto step climb in real life.  I understand how it works, but I specifically stated that I like to use that feature in other long haul aircraft in my sim because I will sometimes sleep during a portion of the cruise on longer flights. 

On 12.12.2019 at 14:11, EliottC sagte:

In real life there is not AUTO STEP CLIMB on boeing or airbus each pilot have to request for the next level

Well, we're not flying a real plane and want to leave the virtual cockpit on a long flight.
That's why I understand the question and have already searched for it.

• Aerosoft
On 12/12/2019 at 7:35 PM, JTWilson23 said:

Yeah, I'm acutely aware that there obviously isn't auto step climb in real life.  I understand how it works, but I specifically stated that I like to use that feature in other long haul aircraft in my sim because I will sometimes sleep during a portion of the cruise on longer flights. 

I am sorry but we are highly reluctant to add features that are not part of the real aircraft.  Normally that results in many comment in facebook about how silly we are.  So for now we can only say we are not planning this. 

19 hours ago, Mathijs Kok said:

I am sorry but we are highly reluctant to add features that are not part of the real aircraft.  Normally that results in many comment in facebook about how silly we are.  So for now we can only say we are not planning this. 

Thanks for the consideration, Mathijs. I understand it may not be planned right now, but I think this is something that would appeal to the vast majority of long haul simmers and is certainly more realistic than time acceleration, albeit still not part of the real aircraft.  To be fair, pause at T/D and pause at next step aren't part of the real aircraft either, so there is of course a balance to be had.  Most simmers will be used to this feature in other long haul sim aircraft as well.  Certainly not a top priority, but I think it would be well received as an added feature in the future.

• 4 months later...

There are many concessions made in this product, and many of the aerosoft airbuses before them to accommodate simmers: 

• The settings/3rd MCDU
  • Pause at TOD
  • Instant loading via the settings MCDU
  • "magic" pushback mechanisms through the MCDU
  • The checklist/autopilot feature
  • Controlling the doors from the settings MCDU 
  • ACFT Thrust Bump

And others I'm sure I failed to cover.

As it has been nearly 6 months since the OP's request, I ask Aerosoft to consider this vital feature for long haul pilots who might want to do other things (and like the OP sleep for a bit) during a 8+ hour flight.  I see no difference between the logic of Pause at TOD and Auto Step Climb.  I am afraid that a high reluctance to implement that which is not in the real plane has already been yielded to other creature comforts to make the simmer's life easier and use of the product more enjoyable. 

I did my first long haul from LFPO to KSFO in the A330-343 last night,  which should be reasonably within the A330-343's capabilities (air distance of 5125 nm last night) and, given that I had to pick a compromise set altitude, I was barely able to make it.

I love the product (the flight was amazing), but please consider allowing users a fuller experience by implementing an Auto Step Climb feature.  

Thank you for considering this request.

Archived