slow Rotation

matty260191

having set up everything correctly including init b flight LFPO-GOBD we set up the MCDU3 with the load and a trim of .8 up as default but on rotation (199000kg) we found we needed full back pressure even with trim set as per the load. i will attach the video once i land as it a stream.

an extra ot is the efb calculations page did not match what the mcdu auto populated? mcdu auto populated 143/143/150 and EFB is 153/153/160. could that be the issue?

I know that also I will see on landing how it handles, I'm not sure its as bad as people are making out but can only tell on arrival. again though the EFB and MCDU V speeds disagree with each other.

• Deputy Sheriffs

Hello matty,

We have made some further (after the first FBW adjustment file was released) adjustments on the pitch behavior on the FBW and this should be released on the next experimental update. Hopefully this will make the rotation feel better as well.

al I have noticed that over this flight my ZFCG was 26 now my GWCG is red at 11.2. i Dont tend to use the fuel planner as i use sim brief but is that the best way to get the CofG and trim right? as the mcdu3 says .8 up which i believe was also a problem

4 hours ago, matty260191 said:

we found we needed full back pressure even with trim set as per the load.

Same thing for me after the manual file update. Full back pressure on the yoke and held it until it wanted to fly a few seconds later.

i have a feeling its to do with the CofG of the aircraft. i use the mcdu 3 for setup that defaults to 0.8up trim no matter what i put in there. just coming into land at GOBD then i will report the bugs/issues i found

Flight complete with not too bad a landing. I didn't fly it before the temporary fix but i can say it doesn't seem to fly bad at all. maybe a little less responsive than the smaller buses but that to be expected.

a few things I did note:

there is defiantly something wrong with using the MCDU3 to set your load. it defaults to 26MAC which is the same as in the 318-321 but also defaults at UP0.8 trim which i suspect is wrong as i work with A332'S daily and trim them its always more than 26 and requires more up trim than 0.8, i'm not sure if that mixed with a slightly faulty flight model made for a very slow rotation with full control input. I cannot find anything in the manuals to help me figure out where the trim should be for each MAC value but having played a little with the load planner I can see that 26MAC=4.5UP which sounds more like it I am just interested in how you can get the MCDU3 to distribute the load to make this work. i also noted on the lower ECAM throughout the flight the CofG went red and by the time I landed it was about MAC 9 which is not right at all. maybe user error on my part please advise.

I did note that upon engaging AP the aircraft quite aggressively moved to line up with the FD, it just felt really sudden and like the aircraft panicked. 

i think its been noted that the fuel prediction even with AS winds imported was way out at one point it said I would land with -0.3 i ended up landing at 9.somthing and it was a relatively short flight for the type of aircraft so i would think it would be so much out.

overall a very enjoyable first flight an I look forward to the patches and more flying maybe somewhere further airfield next time.

i would appreciate a response from staff on he issues i present please and if the trim issue I am picking up is me doing something wrong.

video is currently uploading will be available soon. maybe you can spot if i do something wrong. i however fly the 318-321 for thousands of hours(I am obsessed with FS) so used that to convert myself repetitively easily.

OK so just taken off at EGKK i used the fuel planner to give me the ZFW I needed but i needed 305 pax so i just made the wight with cargo at 26/4.5up on fuel planner. I imported to mcdu 3 and the problem is it then overloaded me using gsx so after loading i reset gsx and instant loaded so it was correct weight at 26 MAC and the fuel planner tells me 26=4.5Up so i did that and rotation happened somewhat better i will say as soon as the wheels left the ground it seemed like the aircraft gained more control causing some strange ballooning after takeoff. I think the problem for me is I just want to Use the MCDU3 to set up as i get all my weights on sim-brief like a lot of people I guess. the MDU loading only allows 300 pax it needs to be higher for a few airlines or have the ability for me to overload it so it can accommodate for higher density pax airlines. also the MCDU3 i think is configured at 26MAC/0.8up as that the setting for the smaller buses. the 330 has a much different Trim setting for 26 MAC so i would say that needs changing. now on route to JFK i do like this aircraft just the things I have mentioned is what I have noted while i operate.

I cannot get this flight planner into the green trim numbers with 300 pax. 3000nm flight around 45000kg fuel and 300 pax it will not trim for takeoff its just wont distribute it enough i guess to make it within the green 23-27. is this a acknowledged problem or am i wasting my time making this post as no admin has even acknowledged what im saying? this would seriously effect the rotation characteristics of the jet. other than that im finding 1.0.0.2 flies well and will update when i land.

• Deputy Sheriffs

There is an issue we have seen that the center of gravity figure on the lower ECAM is sometimes bugged. Also the ballooning effect that you are talking could be the transition the FBW makes from ground mode to flight mode around 50 feet AGL.

ah ok yes not so much an issues the ballooning is expected but the aircraft CofG mixed with the fact you cant trim for takeoff using the fuel planner with a full load makes for a very risky rotation. the only time i have got it to work is by using cargo figure to make the correct ZFW then because the cargo can be spread correctly i can move the slider to the "green zone" like 26/4.5up. the main issue im having id the balance of the aircraft on takeoff weather i use the Fuel planner or the MCDU3 to load it. it is not user error. its the fuel planner not balancing the aircraft enough or not being able to" move" the pax around to trim the aircraft.

• Deputy Sheriffs

Could you please send a screenshot of the fuel planner with everything set in there. Preferably also include MCDU3 in there with the loadsheet initialised from the fuel planner.

im hoping im explaining myself correctly the takeoff trim and the TOCofG i cannot move to the green but if i add the weight as cargo i can move it so i can. problem is that screws the GSX loading up meaning after loading restart gsx and instant load again to get correct weights.

Please login to display this image.

for example the takeoff i just did was TO MAC 29 TRIM UP3.0 but it struggles again to rotate. I watch 332's take off all day at EGVN where I work and the rotations just seems much more responsive. and I just think its because of CofG and takeoff trim? or is it safe to use so long as its not in red on the trim setting? is green just optimum?

maybe im getting too hung up on it just seems even though i used the trim values in the Fuel planner just seems to be a very slow rotation requiring a lot of input from the stick. i tried reading the docs but not a lot about the fuel planner for example the colors of the trim and CofG figures what do they mean? and both airlines i fly for have more seats tan 300 so how can we change that? can i simply change the xml for the data of the fuel planner and it will load accordingly?

• Deputy Sheriffs

Could you please try to make a flight where you don't use GSX loading at all and just instant the load. We have identified an issue with the GSX loading messing up the trim setting and we are looking into it. For example on your video with GSX load the trim was first around 35 % which was correct for 0.8 UP setting. Then it went to red .xx % (could not read exact number but it was below 1 %.) and then to 15.5 % which would mean around 5 UP trim or even more. You took off with trim UP 0.8 with center of gravity being for around trim UP 5 on your video so no wonder that your rotation was slow.

We are looking into what happens and why the center of gravity value is not correct in the A330 after loading with GSX.

What comes to the passenger numbers, I don't recommend changing them. If you do it's on your own responsibility and we won't be able to provide you support for your own modifications. We have modelled the setaing configuration on an aircraft we had access and data from, and there they used maximum seat capacity of 300.

Ok so I made a flight yesterday using my fuel planner all I changed was the pax weight and the total pax we can load along with distribution. 26/Up4.5 worked great as the fuel planner is not the issue and I used GSX and it worked fine but I'm not sure if the CofG of the aircraft actually matched what the CofG the fuel planner was saying. Obviously I will look forward to the GSX fix. Im pretty sure the CofG was still incorrect. The next flight I do I will only Use the MCDU3 and only instant load. Ill let you know how that goes. And provide the vid link so you can see.

Archived