!! Windows 7 no longer supported !!

As Microsoft will stop supporting Windows 7 on Jan 20th we will be unable to test any of our
products on that platform. It may work, or it may not, but no guarantees from our side. 

Mathijs Kok

A330, how is your framerate?

We have seen a lot of comments where people comment on how easy the A330 is on framerates. Now to be honest we worked REALLY hard on that and using the P3d V4.5 HF2 compilers and not older ones helps a lot.  We compared the amount of polygons per frame with other add-ons and we know we are more efficient. That leads me to consider if we have been TOO careful and could have added more to the VC without dragging down framerates.

Perhaps even my dream of a good looking (as in realism) person in the seat next to you. The fact that seat is empty and no simmers complain about that while they find wingflex super important will never stop to amaze me. An empty seat on the flightdeck on take-off is simply utterly unrealistic. Ask any pilot what he cares for more.

I have compared the A330 to all the major aircraft releases this year and I believe it looks better and has better frame rate then any other. But that is me, the project manager, you would expect me to say so. And we make pretty complex scenery as well so as one of the very few publishers we have a valid interest in being extremely frugal with frames. We believe an aircraft should not take more than 60% of available resources. they rest is for world add-ons, aircraft, weather, traffic etc.

So I would like to know from you how you interpret the frame/quality of the A330. I think we have around 5 fps to play with. That means we could add things eating up 5 fps before we run into what is acceptable. 

Now I know it is hard to avoid direct comparisons and we do not prevent them. But I insist on polite comments. An add-on compiled in May 2019 with an older compiler will find it hard to compete with one that is compiled last week. 

The frames I've experienced so far have been the best I've seen in a flight simulator. No matter how much detail is going on outside (weather, scenery, etc) she still gave me maximum performance! Kudos to Aerosoft for this!

• Like 1

Just now, cdnavi8r said:

The frames I've experienced so far have been the best I've seen in a flight simulator. No matter how much detail is going on outside (weather, scenery, etc) she still gave me maximum performance! Kudos to Aerosoft for this!

So you would be willing to give up those 5 fps?

3 minutes ago, Mathijs Kok said:

So you would be willing to give up those 5 fps?

Depends what comes with that 5fps loss..

• Upvote 1

Just now, cdnavi8r said:

Depends what comes with that 5fps loss..

A realistic looking person next to you. 

I'm very impressed with the frames, but then again I have a 9900KS that I'm pushing hard, have 4000MHz memory and I don't turn the GFx options all the way up.

One thing I do note on all busses that I've installed is that the 'software rendering' for the ECAM is enabled by default in the configurator. I have to go in and turn it off as I've a decent GFx card too.

You say you have 5 frames to play with, surely that depends what ppl are experiencing in the first place? Even with my setup I have ORBX England, ActiveSky, Aerosoft Heathrow, AIG traffic etc etc and I'm seeing about 30-40 flying from LGW up towards London. Not sure I'd want to see less than 30 if that's avoidable. But sure, I'd love to see the second seat have someone sitting in it. That would definitely add to the immersion.

BTW, I note that the A32x has reallight, and the A33x doesn't. I remember reading in the preview thread that it wasn't compatible with PBR? Would fixing that and adding it back in cost frames?

2 minutes ago, Mathijs Kok said:

A realistic looking person next to you. 

Will this "addon" be manageable, as in, turn on, off? In case of low performance?

Frames on the A330 are quite excellent in my opinion. There are obviously a lot of other issues at the moment but that is to be expected with any release, especially when you warned us of the current state of the aircraft. I'm honestly enjoying the aircraft a ton right now and once the issues are worked out, with performance in mind, this is easily going to be one of the best aircraft in my fleet.

Just now, cdnavi8r said:

Will this "addon" be manageable, as in, turn on, off? In case of low performance?

I am not sure, if we add something like that, something that is ABSOLUTELY critical for realism, would you select to switch it off? 

Again, the MOST important thing on the flightdeck are the two pilots, without that an A330 is not allowed to fly. 

For us in the lower end spectrum it would be nice though. Even thought about turning off HDR but it seems to work fine with it :)

3 minutes ago, Mathijs Kok said:

I am not sure, if we add something like that, something that is ABSOLUTELY critical for realism, would you select to switch it off? 

Again, the MOST important thing on the flightdeck are the two pilots, without that an A330 is not allowed to fly. 

@Mathijs Kok I know that it really annoys you that people care about wingflex and other stuff like that and not the empty seat in the cokpit but I would be happy if it could be turned off...

• Upvote 2

14 minutes ago, Blitz_2006 said:

@Mathijs Kok I know that it really annoys you that people care about wingflex and other stuff like that and not the empty seat in the cokpit but I would be happy if it could be turned off...

You misunderstand me. I think wingflex is VERY important and that's why we spend a lot of time on that on the A330. I do not think it can be done on the A320 (or CRJ) range because those wings are stiff and the most common movement on them is in the 30 HZ range. Sure we can move the wings but would not be realistic.

But honestly, why would you remove your copilot? It simply makes no sense as he is next to you the most important thing in the cockpit. Again, we are talking realism here. 

If you're going down this road then the other thing you should see when you look 'down' is legs in your own seat, rather than the chair itself.... And an arm/hand on the stick to the left.

20 minutes ago, Mathijs Kok said:

You misunderstand me. I think wingflex is VERY important and that's why we spend a lot of time on that on the A330. I do not think it can be done on the A320 (or CRJ) range because those wings are stiff and the most common movement on them is in the 30 HZ range. Sure we can move the wings but would not be realistic.

But honestly, why would you remove your copilot? It simply makes no sense as he is next to you the most important thing in the cockpit. Again, we are talking realism here. 

I think the only reason it should be optional is because imagine on mid/lower machine where all your hard work has paid off making a high end airliner sim run really good frames for someone, and that person is really pleased as for the first time they have a high frame rate when in the past they have had to put up with just OK frames for other addons, and then you push an update that adds a Pilot, and suddenly they loose 5fps (maybe from 20 not bad to 15 makes a huge difference in a busy area) and then they have to accept it

• Like 1
  • Upvote 1

If you add 3D pilots in the cockpit, please also add the possibility to turn them off. I'd love to see an option to NOT animate the tray table when the aircraft reaches cruise level as well.

As for my framerate, it's usually synched with the monitor at 60 unless i fly to Heathrow or Amsterdam or maybe San Francisco where it might hit low 30's.

• Upvote 3

As a prospective customer, I would prefer those extra 5 frames to go into something more directly related to the aircraft, be that systems depth or something similar. I definitely have no interest in seeing a co-pilot sat next to me, or my own "arms / legs" in the Captain's seat. 

If you insist on adding this feature, please ensure that we can disable this option if required

I watch all these threads with anticipation, but thank you for bringing an A330 onto the market

• Upvote 3

M,

40 + at EGLL UK2000 orbx europe max cloud cockpit. 60 + external view.  70 + MCDU view

RTX 2060 and intel i7700

niall kavanagh

Yes I can confirm that FPS are quite excellent, although I haven't done some real benchmark tests (CYYZ, KBOS, etc..). And I too will join those that say I want optional additions, so if you add something add a toggle feature, otherwise leave it as it is. I want to be able to switch off those additions in case I encounter situations where FPS does go downhill. I would love to see snow on the windshields and maybe foggy windows like PMDG does. I remember standing at the gates at KMSP with the 747 and the immersion was unbelievable when seeing snow building up on the windows. Perhaps some dynamic dirt as well?!

• Upvote 1

Hi Mathijs, fps are fantastic. I wouldn't give up those 5 fps loss.

Best.

Miquel.

55 minutes ago, JarredP said:

If you add 3D pilots in the cockpit, please also add the possibility to turn them off. I'd love to see an option to NOT animate the tray table when the aircraft reaches cruise level as well.

I am a bit surprised about comments like this. EVERY crew will extend the tray table in cruise to have a place to put coffee, smartphone etc etc.

Why do you insist something that is happening on every single flight should be toggled? For sure it does not take any framerate!

42 minutes ago, Aviator1985 said:

Yes I can confirm that FPS are quite excellent, although I haven't done some real benchmark tests (CYYZ, KBOS, etc..). And I too will join those that say I want optional additions, so if you add something add a toggle feature, otherwise leave it as it is. I want to be able to switch off those additions in case I encounter situations where FPS does go downhill. I would love to see snow on the windshields and maybe foggy windows like PMDG does. I remember standing at the gates at KMSP with the 747 and the immersion was unbelievable when seeing snow building up on the windows. Perhaps some dynamic dirt as well?!

Airbusses have automatic defogging systems so if you would see that something has gone wrong. 
To be honest, as far as I know it is extremely rare on modern Boeings as well.

Snow on windshield is out of our control right now. we use 3rd party modules for rain and are pretty sure the new FS will handle all of that soon.

Mathijs, I get the feeling that you want to convince us of seeing it the way you do. But please accept that everyone has a different definition of the terms "immersion" and "necessary realism". Just as S_D pointed out with his example of the captain's legs, arms and hands, it would become difficult to find a point where realism really needs to be expanded and where it has to stop. I personally don't see any value in seeing a static or lightly animated co-pilot sitting next to me. If that co-pilot would be animated in such a way that she or he can handle buttons, switches and other items - okay, that would be a slightly different deal. But still, I would be perfectly happy if no such thing existed or if I could simply switch that co-pilot off. It's still only a simulation, and not the real life. So it's self-evident to me that the realism has to stop at a certain point.

And regarding the tray table: Perhaps some users simply want to choose themselves when they are going to extend the tray table. And if the plane hits severe turbulence when reaching cruise level, pilots will probably tend to leave the tray table stowed for the moment. So I'm not sure whether that automatism is really necessary.

Okay FWAviation, seeing your posts you expected to buy a different product then we intended to make. That happens.  We depend on our real pilots for advise, you rather see things from your own point of view and I am sorry we are not fully able to explained that to you before you bought the product. However the product is what it is and we will most certainly not remove our immersion options. Sorry. Might I suggest you are careful buying the products from this development team?

And now please back to the topic.

Excuse me? @Mathijs Kok, I don't know whether you confuse me with someone else but I am very much supportive of your products, even if I give constructive feedback when there are still bugs to be fixed. My record shows that I often defend you and your team against unjustified criticism. And I fully respect the work of the real pilots and anyone else who advised you on the A330, just like I respect your work as developing and project management team. And I'm in no way disappointed by the A330 because I followed its development in the preview topics over the course of four years and therefore was perfectly aware of what product to expect. As a matter of fact, I'm very glad that the A330 is finally here. My posting above was a mere suggestion and only an explanation why some users see it differently than you and have their individual definition of immersion. So I really don't understand why you react in such an offended way and even suggest me not to buy your products anymore. This is a very surprising statement, I must say, after all the products I already bought from your company.

• Upvote 5

1 hour ago, petetech said:

I think the only reason it should be optional is because imagine on mid/lower machine where all your hard work has paid off making a high end airliner sim run really good frames for someone, and that person is really pleased as for the first time they have a high frame rate when in the past they have had to put up with just OK frames for other addons, and then you push an update that adds a Pilot, and suddenly they loose 5fps (maybe from 20 not bad to 15 makes a huge difference in a busy area) and then they have to accept it

Exactly this. Sure I can live with lower FPS (UK2000 Heathrow for instance, no way I can get high here). But just like with Airports, it is nice to have turn on/off options for heavy stuff.

1 hour ago, niallkav said:

M,

40 + at EGLL UK2000 orbx europe max cloud cockpit. 60 + external view.  70 + MCDU view

RTX 2060 and intel i7700

niall kavanagh

May I ask what options you use for EGLL? I have really hard time getting above 30.

54 minutes ago, Mathijs Kok said:

I am a bit surprised about comments like this. EVERY crew will extend the tray table in cruise to have a place to put coffee, smartphone etc etc.

Why do you insist something that is happening on every single flight should be toggled? For sure it does not take any framerate!

Mathijs, some people just don't care about that kind of stuff. I am far more interested in flying the aircraft, reading charts and making sure the machine does as it's supposed to. On the 330 it actually hides the ND partially (granted, only a tiny bit) and it's somewhat of a nuisance i can live without. It's not a real problem as i can click on it and make it disappear, but would be interesting if i could just hide it.

Don't be mad, you have a real fine product in your hands. Focus in cleaning up the remaining bits and it'll be a winner.

• Upvote 2