A330 flight model work

• Aerosoft

As discussed we are working on the flight model of the A330 because we agree there is something wrong there. All the work is being checked with real pilots but how they feel it should fly does not always match with what customers expect so we like to send out a few files here. Please let us know your comments so we can tweak it some more. Do mention how heavy your aircraft is because a fully loaded A330 flies VERY different from a empty one.

Unzip this file in /Aerosoft A330 Professional/SimObjects/Airplanes/Aerosoft A330 Professional Base/Panel_Fallback/ overwriting the file that is there.

One possible side effect of this trial is thet X8 might not be stable anymore

Airbus_ECAMD2D.zip

• Replies 57
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Many thanks for the files above - It does feel bit better as compared to original release however the elevator still needs some work as still way too responsive.

Yes, pitch stability is important. Imagine pitch being unstable on turbulent approaches. It requires a lot of input to counter the wandering and leads to passengers becoming sick. This is one of the issues you face during air refueling where new pilots get into PIO. When I flew KC10s, it would get a little pitch sensitive when the CG was aft of 25%. Many would ask the engineer to bring the CG forward of 25 before refueling. To me, you are fast and the DC10 is nimble and sensitive anyway. I taught guys to fly with their finger tips and wrist during refueling instead of their hands. Kept you from entering PIO behind the tanker and things were smoother. It's ok if a plane has a little bit of lag in the pitch axis, but it should be stable enough to allow you to counter axis divergence during bumpy approaches. You may find yourself putting in a lot of input to counter the axis moments, but the trajectory stays the same. This is also coming from a guy without fly by wire experience lol.

Dear Mathijs,

>>All the work is being checked with real pilots but how they feel it should fly does not always match with what customers expect<<

I have totally no desire to be picky here but that is nonsense, i flew 23 years real aircraft and helicopters (as you probably know) and the flight model was not o.k. 

When "real pilots" checked that, they did not do a good job. The work an feel can differ depending from the customers yoke or joystick though.

i tried one round with the new file, it is much better now, but still a bit to instabel on the nose attitude.

Also...in return from the new file.....True Glass stopped working...no rain effects anymore.

Hope that can be fixed a bit more.

Regards,

Ben

• Deputy Sheriffs
2 minutes ago, Ben van Boom said:

i flew 23 years real aircraft and helicopters

So you were flying the A330 too so that you can judge this?

2 minutes ago, Ben van Boom said:

When "real pilots" checked that, they did not do a good job.

This comment is totally disrespectful towards our real pilots having some thousand hours on the real A330.

So please leave such comments until you can proof that you know it better.

• Aerosoft
10 minutes ago, Ben van Boom said:

Dear Mathijs,

I have totally no desire to be picky here but that is nonsense, i flew 23 years real aircraft and helicopters (as you probably know) and the flight model was not o.k. 

Well that is what we said, right? That's why we worked on it. I know you fly Ben, tough I did not know you had any stick time on airliners.

Did you actually read the release notes where we actually warned for this? 

With this "fix", I can also attest that the controls are much more responsive.  They're still a bit "spongy" (she floats like an old Buick) but I think that's what you expect with a big aircraft.  It now handles more similarly to the PMDG 777, which I would expect.

• Aerosoft

Well, not to be an ass, but you are now comparing add-ons to add-ons and not what we did to a real A330. The PMDG 777 is in my mind one of the very best add-ons ever done (their no standard stuff is still better then ANY other add-on), but the 777 and A330 are very very different.

We have seen a lot of comments the last 36 hours, but there is a HUGE difference between the feedback from simmers (or people who flown small aircraft) and real pilots. Our task at this moment iis to make something that is as close to what the real pilots think and what simmers believe should be correct.

42 minutes ago, Ben van Boom said:

i flew 23 years real aircraft and helicopters (as you probably know) and the flight model was not o.k. 

Ben, with no disrespect, but which aircraft do you fly?
Little toyplanes aka Cessna 172 or Piper 28 in CAVOK conditions or real aircraft with hundrets of souls on board with thunderstorms close to the airport and gusts up to 45kt and more?

This one's a real story, happened a couple of months ago. An about 20 year old aviation geek visited my flightdeck during boarding who happened to be a simmer as well with a couple thousand hours on VATSIM.

He told me how much he loves Boeings NGX. I asked him what an NGX is. He looked strange at me seeing that we were sitting in a 737-800. Even after digging a bit deeper he did not seem to have a clue where the difference between a 737NG and a 737NGX is.
Small hint as I'm sure there'll be some simmers around here who don't know either: One costs 80$ list price, the other 80.000.000$.

Heck, he even spotted a "mistake" right away and without even bothering me with it he reset my MCP altitude from 5100ft to 5000ft.

He was even kind enough to tell me I forgot to execute my FMC routing and did it for me without even asking. A very helpful guy!

Weather at our destination was quite a bit bumpy with some 30kt crosswind.We made a textbooklanding. On centerline and on the aiming point with a positive touchdown.

After landing this same guy came to my cockpit again and asked me what went wrong during landing that we made such an impact. Correct piloting technique, as every pilot would know, would have been to hold it off the ground, bleed off the speed and then touch down, however he could understand that as an FO I still needed to learn and no landing could be perfect. He could fully understand that it would have been hard for me to judge the height above the runway, since this only comes with experience.
I was impressed, right from the passenger seat this 300h Cessna pilot knew exactly what went "wrong" during my landing, he even knew exactly how I can improve next time!

Darn it, why did I not know all his expertise after spending a hundret thousand bucks on professional flight training and years of flying.

Next time I'll have this gentleman land the plane for me, I am sure the accident investigators will rewrite major parts of the pilot training manuals after evaluating the flight data recorder from the burning wreckage in the trees next to the runway.

Long story short, this is pretty much my opinion on the average flight simmer or Cessna pilot.

I have absolutely nothing against these people, both simmers and general aviation pilots have great ideas about what they're doing in their respective field. Simmers usually have a broad understanding of aircraft systems while the average GA pilot has a good understanding of his Cessna and all associated piloting techniques.
However: Just because you have an idea in ONE field of aviation you don't know it all. Even a 737 or A320 pilot will not be able to give a sound judgement of an A380's flight dynamics. It's different. Totally different.

In fact: Every aircraft is different. Not even two 737's build within a week from one another fly exactly same.

Therefore, with all due respect: If you don't at least have experience in airliners, let alone in widebodys or in fact A330's, please be so kind not to mislead other people by saying you're a pilot and you know it's not ok.

On a sidenote, in my airline it is SOP to set the MCP altitude to the expected initial climb altitude +100ft until the clearance is obtained as a reminder that you're not yet cleared to climb up.

The Route page is executed once the routecheck has been completed during the takeoff briefing, when both pilots are happy that everything has been entered correctly.

1 hour ago, Mathijs Kok said:

I know you fly Ben, tough I did not know you had any stick time on airliners.

I have Mathijs... on the B744 and a bit more then you think (but not on the A330 and quit flying due to health issues in 2012), i don't try to be smart here and i will refrain from further comment on the product nor will i react to all the people jumping in here writing a whole book in their comment. Before we know it, civil war will brake out in this tread and i do not want to be a part of that.

It's better already, but at first i was disappointed, specially when you began about real pilots and expectations from buyers... Good is good...not good is just not good..... but i believe the product will sure go to where it should and will be a good product in the end and i am looking forward to that.

No i did not read the release notes, i saw it coming out and i saw the trailer, for me together with Aerosofts track record enough to buy it right away.

Thanks for adressing the problems right away.

Regards,

Ben

2 hours ago, Mathijs Kok said:

Well, not to be an ass, but you are now comparing add-ons to add-ons and not what we did to a real A330. The PMDG 777 is in my mind one of the very best add-ons ever done (their no standard stuff is still better then ANY other add-on), but the 777 and A330 are very very different.

We have seen a lot of comments the last 36 hours, but there is a HUGE difference between the feedback from simmers (or people who flown small aircraft) and real pilots. Our task at this moment iis to make something that is as close to what the real pilots think and what simmers believe should be correct.

I was simply saying that the controls were more responsive, which was the goal of the fix.  I merely referenced the PMDG as an example of another large aircraft with control responses more closely meeting my expectations of what the response should be (and upon which those expectations are partly based).  As you said, PMDG knows their stuff and at least has a perception of being very faithful to the prototype - so despite the many differences between the 77x and the A33x there are also many fundamental similarities (size, weight, control surface area, FBW, etc.).  I would expect the handling to more similar than diverging based on that demonstrated expertise, that's all.

I wasn't being critical - rather this is one excellent add-on with a lot of potential to be even better.  Otherwise I wouldn't have implied a comparison to the PMDG!  I don't have the authority (by experience or otherwise) to disrespect the end decision if it's based upon feedback from actual A330 pilots!  I wasn't one of those complaining about the handling anyway - I did find it a little counter intuitive (why would it be so easy to get ahead of or fall behind the plane - I guess that's why they get paid the big bucks) - but that said, my second attempted landing had a 7 kt crosswind component and I buttered the landing on C/L in the TDZ so the handling couldn't have been too horrible!

hi, was wondering if i should post this here or not, since im fairly new to the aerosoft aircraft, however, ( so far ) when i see the videos and streams and things as currently im not an owner of the 330 yet, i notice the wing bend ( not flex ) but bend isnt as much as I would have liked in comparison to the real a330 especially having flown the a330 a lot IRL and watching videos on the 330 since i really love the 330. Was wondering if these pictures for a comparison would be taken into consideration for an update? In short, the wing feels rather flat while up in cruise, like there isnt much air lifting the wing up, especially at the tip of the wing. -> https://imgur.com/a/HKo5MRd thanks and keep up the hard work.

Hello all captains,

I tried to fly around after downloading this fix file and then it looks like this issue has been satisfactorily resolved. Many thanks to the Aerosoft team for the timely fix. In my opinion, AS330 is acceptable now.

Please login to display this image.

Please login to display this image.

Eric

P.S. If you are interested you can refer to this topic: 

Dear All:

I tried two flights with the new file. The gross weight of the A333 was 175.5 tons. In my opinion,  the flight dynamics has improved acceptably. Thanks to Aerosoft. In my opinion,  a very little fine tuning is required for pitch control. If I say in pet cent, it is 80% done. I did the manual landing in zero wind condition. I'll try later with Activesky on.

Haseen Ahmad.

On 11.12.2019 at 10:10, Mathijs Kok sagte:

As discussed we are working on the flight model of the A330 because we agree there is something wrong there. All the work is being checked with real pilots but how they feel it should fly does not always match with what customers expect so we like to send out a few files here. Please let us know your comments so we can tweak it some more. Do mention how heavy your aircraft is because a fully loaded A330 flies VERY different from a empty one.

Unzip this file in /Aerosoft A330 Professional/SimObjects/Airplanes/Aerosoft A330 Professional Base/Panel_Fallback/ overwriting the file that is there.

One possible side effect of this trial is thet X8 might not be stable anymore

Thank you so much! Controls are now perfect! Very happy about this update!

One more question: Will this file and possible future update files be available in the Aerosoft Updater as it is hard to follow or find all update files via this forum?

Thanks so much!

• Deputy Sheriffs
2 hours ago, MartinKWH123 said:

Thank you so much! Controls are now perfect! Very happy about this update!

One more question: Will this file and possible future update files be available in the Aerosoft Updater as it is hard to follow or find all update files via this forum?

Thanks so much!

Affirm. All updates will be provided via the Aerosoft Updater. We wanter to put this fule on the forums first for users to have a quick access to the file to test and provide their feedback first. It will be included on the next experimental update (with few small adjustments on the pitch) with few other updates included.

Archived