Roll rates on cruise

ComSimPilot

Hi,

On my 3rd flight and I have noticed many times now that the roll rates on small deviation turns is significant. I attach an example in the picture below. This was a very easy, shallow turn, and the aircraft over-shooted and banked 20 degrees.

In the other example, the angle was nearly 30 degrees.

The banking is also happening very fast from 0 to 30 degrees in around 1 second. The angle and roll rate would terrify passengers in real life.

Can you please fix this?

Please login to display this image.

I'm noticing something similar to this which might be related.  When going around sharper turns (say 45-90 degrees), the aircraft tends to bank sharply into the turn at first, then not even 1/4 of the way through levels out somewhat and continues through the turn at a much shallower angle.  This causes it to ride inside the curve on the ND (with a deviation of about 0.2 nm in the examples I have witnessed).  At completion, it seems to hit the next tangent correctly; it doesn't seem to under- or overshoot.  It's just that initial bank.

• Aerosoft
16 minutes ago, Sabretooth78 said:

I'm noticing something similar to this which might be related.  When going around sharper turns (say 45-90 degrees), the aircraft tends to bank sharply into the turn at first, then not even 1/4 of the way through levels out somewhat and continues through the turn at a much shallower angle.  This causes it to ride inside the curve on the ND (with a deviation of about 0.2 nm in the examples I have witnessed).  At completion, it seems to hit the next tangent correctly; it doesn't seem to under- or overshoot.  It's just that initial bank.

Compared to what, Sabretooth? I really find it hard to understand these comments unless we have some idea on the knowledge of the poster.  In the simrides I had I found it remarkable how responsive the A330 at low weights was on  initial stick input and how lackluster it is when you keep the stick sideways. You also comment on 'sharper turns', but the systems in the Bus do not try to anticipate how many degrees you want to turn. If it is 30 degrees or 90, the aircraft should bank the same (and it does).  I do not understand how you see an effect that is not programmed in.

1 hour ago, Mathijs Kok said:

Compared to what, Sabretooth? I really find it hard to understand these comments unless we have some idea on the knowledge of the poster.  In the simrides I had I found it remarkable how responsive the A330 at low weights was on  initial stick input and how lackluster it is when you keep the stick sideways. You also comment on 'sharper turns', but the systems in the Bus do not try to anticipate how many degrees you want to turn. If it is 30 degrees or 90, the aircraft should bank the same (and it does).  I do not understand how you see an effect that is not programmed in.

I wasn't comparing this behavior to anything; this has nothing to do with manual stick input, perceptions and expectations, or otherwise.  Perhaps that's my fault; I realized I failed to mention is that these are turns with autopilot engaged (similar to what the OP's FMA shows).  Manual input should be a non-factor.

The aircraft will initially (and quickly) bank close to 30 degrees (as the OP shows) for maybe 2 seconds at most, and then reduces bank to something much shallower (such as 10-15 degrees) for the remainder of the turn.  If that's proper autoflight operation, then so be it and I accept it - but otherwise it seems there might be a similar root cause to what the OP states which has been acknowledged by Secondator as something to look at.  It's as if it starts a bit too soon and then realizes its mistake.  Unlike the OP however, I don't see a perceptible overshoot.  That's all I'm trying to point out.

Granted, my experience is limited to a couple thousand hours flying other sim aircraft and being a passenger on 30-40 real life flights (say 120 hours), but I've never seen anything like that before.  Every other experience I've had with a cruise turn, that I can remember (and including the Aerosoft A320) will be a bank, sometimes sharp and/or steep, but consistent throughout the turn (and with the rollout essentially identical to the bank in reverse).

Archived