IAS going up for no reason and not bleeding off during approach

tgcbraun

Just experienced a very weird issue during approach.

As seen on the attached screenshot, my plane was leveled at 7.000 feet, ATHR was off (with throttle levers on idle) and the IAS kept raising...

This situation continued until landing and even with the two engines off, full flaps and speedbrakes on, I could not reduce the speed while on the glide-path.

Please login to display this image.

Good morning,

I had a similar experience yesterday during descent into Manchester. I hit a zone of light to moderate turbulence and suddenly the IAS started to increase like hell. I talk about an airspeed increase of 50 knots upwards. A/THR set to off, IDLE thrust confirmed, speed brakes full out and I couldn`t reduce the speed. After a few minutes situation became normal again without any changes to my settings. I did never experience such a behaviour of any aircraft in P3D before. 

Kind regards,

Remo

1 hour ago, Remolus said:

Good morning,

I had a similar experience yesterday during descent into Manchester. I hit a zone of light to moderate turbulence and suddenly the IAS started to increase like hell. I talk about an airspeed increase of 50 knots upwards. A/THR set to off, IDLE thrust confirmed, speed brakes full out and I couldn`t reduce the speed. After a few minutes situation became normal again without any changes to my settings. I did never experience such a behaviour of any aircraft in P3D before. 

Kind regards,

Remo

Very similar to my experience.

To me that sounds as if something activates the A.FLOOR mode in the background without that being visible anywhere on the instruments. At least that could be an explanation why that happened to you in turbulence, @Remolus. Did you encounter turbulence as well before your incident, @tgcbraun? And did the engine sound increase as well or did you only detect a rise of IAS and engine power?

Vor 1 Stunde, tgcbraun sagte:

Yes, I might have had some turbulence on the approach. The engine sound did not increase at all on my side.

Neither did my engine sound increase and A.FLOOR was not visible (but IDLE flashing on E/W display was). I have FSUIPC installed but don`t have any profile created for the A330 nor for any other aircraft. 

I've also noticed airspeed problems when flying in weather. Despite a headwind of approx 34kts, the aircraft would not slow down until I had dropped the gear, full flaps and speed brakes. Engines were at idle for the full approach, autothrottle off, and using the latest ECAM file which improved the overall roll handling but pitch is still very jerky. 

56 minutes ago, Mathijs Kok said:

For all these reports we need to know what weather tool was used at what settings. Some weather tools make very very strong layers that are simply not correct.

As seen in the screenshot, I was having partial headwind of 10 knots using Activesky. For me it is clear that this is a bug. 

• Aerosoft

Well I am glad you feel the screenshot clearly shows the issue. But we really need to know if there was any windshear and turbulence because those are the settings that can cause this.

Unfortunately we have seen that weather add-ons sometime insert new weather without 'mixing' it with existing weather. Our aircraft is unable to handle wind that changes in a fraction of a second. 

31 minutes ago, Mathijs Kok said:

Well I am glad you feel the screenshot clearly shows the issue. But we really need to know if there was any windshear and turbulence because those are the settings that can cause this.

Unfortunately we have seen that weather add-ons sometime insert new weather without 'mixing' it with existing weather. Our aircraft is unable to handle wind that changes in a fraction of a second. 

Hey Mathijs, I am aware that you guys have been receiving multiple reports from people that you may not know the background, but I am what you would consider a hardcore simmer with pretty much every study-level aircraft available, including the PMDGs, FSLabs and others. 

The behavior that I experienced with the A330 was clearly something else.

I repeat: the aircraft had the engines off, speedbrakes, full flaps and gear down and even then it would not reduce the speed considerably when descending. I am sure this is not being caused by Activesky...

• Aerosoft

But again, without knowing exactly what winds the aircraft is experiencing how can you say what happens is correct or not.  I fully accept you own a lot of add-ons but do you mind if we rather refer to the real A330 pilots who assist us? 

Actually, the easiest way to determine whether this behaviour comes from the weather is a bug with the aircraft is to try to repoduce the case with actve sky disabled and no wind.

• Aerosoft
2 minutes ago, Budbud said:

Actually, the easiest way to determine whether this behaviour comes from the weather is a bug with the aircraft is to try to repoduce the case with actve sky disabled and no wind.

True, but all users of  weather tool, x will hate us. And when we tweak to weather tool xwe get in problems with people who use another weather tool..

I will tell you a secret, do not share. As we seen this for so many years now we were planning a tool that would flash a message on screen when some weather event happens that is just silly. A weather tool changing a wind direction, a pressure, a wind speed without at least a few minutes of adaptation. Sometimes what we see is crazy. And unfortunately is it very hard for our FWB model to adapt to that unrealistic behavior. I seen stream where an aircraft is demonstrated where the airspeed changes with 30 knots in a second. The streamer might notice and pull or push the stick and might comment on it. In real aviation that is a big event, life or death.

I have done two flights with the A330 since purchasing it yesterday. The first from PANC to KDEN, the second from KDEN to KEWR. First thing I noticed was that the elevator input is way off, it seems slow to react and then comes a massively change in elevation. However, this seems to be adressed so I will stick to the topic. The A330 seems to be lacking a proper drag effect which gets worse at airports situated at high elevations, where air is thinner which gives less drag. KDEN is at over 5,000 feet, and I couldn't slow down the plane without breaking flap limitations. At KEWR, it was a tad better, but still it was too little drag effect being applied to the aircraft.

I use Active Sky and there was very little wind at either airport, 5 knots at KDEN and zero at KEWR.

1 hour ago, Mathijs Kok said:

But again, without knowing exactly what winds the aircraft is experiencing how can you say what happens is correct or not.  I fully accept you own a lot of add-ons but do you mind if we rather refer to the real A330 pilots who assist us? 

I am not saying that the A330 behaves normally like that. I am saying that happened in one of my approaches (and apparently reproduced by others as well).

It has nothing to do with how the real behavior of the aircraft as represented in the simulator...I repeat: 10kt headwind, speedbrake, gear down, flaps full, one engine off and the IAS would not bleed off. If you find one real A330 pilot that says that is normal, I"ll shut up.

Unfortunately this over-defensive position, basically looking down on long-time costumers and dismissing them as some sort of incompetent user is not really what I would have expected here...

• Deputy Sheriffs

Could you please enable logging and if this happens again zip the whole Data folder and post it here. That might have some clues what is going on.

Also do you bind the controls through FSUIPC? If so, are you able to recreate this issue binding controls through Prepar3D control settings?

I too experienced this very same issue when flying into YSSY yesterday. Flew the approach 4 times and had exactly the same behaviour happen at roughly the same point, about 1-2nm before touchdown. Suddenly thrust was applied without reason, and the aircraft ballooned above the glideslope. On each occasion it was impossible to regain the glideslope, and the approach had to be aborted. Active Sky was not in use, I only had P3D weather in use, but the problem went away when I selected 'clear skies'. I've not seen this happen with any other aircraft add-on, there is clearly something going on here that needs looking at.

I was flying into Montreal using active sky in light to moderate winds.  I was on a stable ILS approach with flaps 2 and gear down and I could not slow beyond 180 kts. Even when I deployed my speed breaks it would not slow down. I was hitting wind gusts and getting into redline. I also noticed that the engines were not in idle even though I was well above approach speed. Even when I pulled throttles to idle it wouldn’t slow down. 

Archived