Throttle & Taxi Speed, Views

VAFPilot

Hello,

Congratulations on the A330! I'm currently flying it on a short flight and as promised this is fairly straight forward with a few nuances. I've found a few things which I am reluctant to mention as I know this is a work in progress with updates to come. With that said:

1. The aircraft rolls forward with engines at idle (no park brake obviousl) but it seems to be a bit fast. I've grown accustomed to the A3XX series which do not move at idle (at least for me).

- Is this by design?

2. The view menu is nice to have, however, the views are different than the previous Airbus versions (A319-A321). I really liked the A319-A321 view options: is there a way to change them in the A330 to match?

Again, I understand this is a work in progress but wanted to share what I've found and I am curious if any of these issues will be updated or if they are planned this way and will remain?

Overall, I am very pleased with the continuity and handling so far (other than the idle/thrust issue).  It has been an easy transition so far from the A31X and A32X Pro series.

Well done!

PS - Thanks for the discount: it's great to see a developer rewarding previous customers!

• Aerosoft
1 minute ago, ScottecLEMD said:

At Max gross weight I don't even need to apply throttle to move, the aircraft moves off in its own and quickly gathers pace resulting in constant brake application..

In that case I strongly recommend calibrating your throttle. If that does not help something on your system is not standard.

1 hour ago, Mathijs Kok said:

In that case I strongly recommend calibrating your throttle. If that does not help something on your system is not standard.

Hey Mathijs,

I am experiencing the throttle is at idle and the indicator is showing it in CLB mode. I am thinking that it is suppose to be at 0, yet it's at 1.00 on the display (see attached)

Is this known already?

AS330 throttle.bmp

1 hour ago, Caribbean_Redz said:

Hey Mathijs,

I am experiencing the throttle is at idle and the indicator is showing it in CLB mode. I am thinking that it is suppose to be at 0, yet it's at 1.00 on the display (see attached)

Is this known already?

AS330 throttle.bmp 4.72 MB · 3 downloads

I did a complete new download and reinstall and the same thing is occurring.

The throttle lever is at idle, but the display is showing them at 1.000 with the CLB indicator active.

Regards,

I am not sure we are facing the same "issue" here but my A330 will also start rolling at idle upon releasing the brakes. The acceleration is slow but steady and won't stop requiring a regular application of brakes. My hardware throttles match the VC throttles. I will say that I had light loads due to short flights but it seems kind of strange Airbus would design an aircraft that needs regular braking activity during taxi. The B77L even at light loads would slowly bleed off GS at idle. I can't make any claims about realism, but the A330 is the first payware level jetliner that needs brakes during taxi. I always imagined if engines were that powerful to get the plane rolling at idle the GS would level off at below 10 kts or so. 

4 hours ago, mopperle said:

please post screenshots in jpg format only

I do apologize

See the attached photo with the white circles.

Please login to display this image.

3 hours ago, Aviator1985 said:

I am not sure we are facing the same "issue" here but my A330 will also start rolling at idle upon releasing the brakes. The acceleration is slow but steady and won't stop requiring a regular application of brakes. My hardware throttles match the VC throttles. I will say that I had light loads due to short flights but it seems kind of strange Airbus would design an aircraft that needs regular braking activity during taxi. The B77L even at light loads would slowly bleed off GS at idle. I can't make any claims about realism, but the A330 is the first payware level jetliner that needs brakes during taxi. I always imagined if engines were that powerful to get the plane rolling at idle the GS would level off at below 10 kts or so. 

Hey bro, yes we have the same issue... I suspect it because the engine aren't spooling from 0, so as soon as you release the breaks it will move at idle. 

The only aircraft that I know as payware that does that - and based on what is said operates like that in the real world - is the QW787.

35 minutes ago, Caribbean_Redz said:

I do apologize

See the attached photo with the white circles.

Hey bro, yes we have the same issue... I suspect it because the engine aren't spooling from 0, so as soon as you release the breaks it will move at idle. 

The only aircraft that I know as payware that does that - and based on what is said operates like that in the real world - is the QW787.

@Mathijs Kok . . . Hello... So I looked at some videos with the A330 and I'd like to rescind my concern about that engine display being at 1.000. it seems that this is modeled correctly.

My concern is that in a heavy a/c the plane shouldn't roll that easily... it should require a little push and like Aviator1985 said after a while it should bleed off GS... however, you can counsel me/us on this 🙂 

Thanks again for giving us a nice plane . . .

The most top indication is a EPR indication. EPR stands for engine pressure ratio. Simplified it compares the pressure in front of the engine (more precise: in the intake forward of the LP Fan) and at the aft (one of the most aft stations of the turbine). If the engine is not operating on ground it should reed 1.0 because the pressure in front and at the aft of the engine should be equal. RR Engines are normally EPR controlled engines (only changing to N1 which is the opposite way to indicate "Thrust" if engine mode is degraded).

17 hours ago, Floh124 said:

The most top indication is a EPR indication. EPR stands for engine pressure ratio. Simplified it compares the pressure in front of the engine (more precise: in the intake forward of the LP Fan) and at the aft (one of the most aft stations of the turbine). If the engine is not operating on ground it should reed 1.0 because the pressure in front and at the aft of the engine should be equal. RR Engines are normally EPR controlled engines (only changing to N1 which is the opposite way to indicate "Thrust" if engine mode is degraded).

ahhh.. Many thanks for that explanation @Floh124

On 12/10/2019 at 3:47 PM, Aviator1985 said:

Pretty much what I am experiencing also. I believe my throttle is properly calibrated as it works perfectly fine with the A319-A321 Pro series by Aerosoft (as well as other airframes). The only other aircraft I use which exhibits the same behavior as the A330 with regard to taxiing is the QW 787 and that is intentional to mimic the real aircraft. 

On 12/10/2019 at 6:46 PM, Mathijs Kok said:

My throttle is also correctly calibrated. 

On 12/10/2019 at 6:46 PM, Mathijs Kok said:

If that was the case then I'd have issues with PMDG 737, 777, 747, QW 757, 787 Majestic DH8D and also the Aerosoft A320 family, and the recently  released  CRJ all of which perform correctly.  The only item that appears to be not standard is the A330. 

Why my A330 can't move at all in IDLE power? The ZFW is only 146T and fuel is only 20T. I have to move throttle to nearly N1 50% then the aircraft can start moving. What is the root cause? 

Thank you.

On 12/9/2019 at 10:58 PM, VAFPilot said:

Hello,

Congratulations on the A330! I'm currently flying it on a short flight and as promised this is fairly straight forward with a few nuances. I've found a few things which I am reluctant to mention as I know this is a work in progress with updates to come. With that said:

1. The aircraft rolls forward with engines at idle (no park brake obviousl) but it seems to be a bit fast. I've grown accustomed to the A3XX series which do not move at idle (at least for me).

- Is this by design?

2. The view menu is nice to have, however, the views are different than the previous Airbus versions (A319-A321). I really liked the A319-A321 view options: is there a way to change them in the A330 to match?

Again, I understand this is a work in progress but wanted to share what I've found and I am curious if any of these issues will be updated or if they are planned this way and will remain?

Overall, I am very pleased with the continuity and handling so far (other than the idle/thrust issue).  It has been an easy transition so far from the A31X and A32X Pro series.

Well done!

PS - Thanks for the discount: it's great to see a developer rewarding previous customers!

It happens to me the same thing that you describe in point 1 with the A330, already happened that same with the A318,319,320,321 Pro when it went on sale, they solved it after a short time.

I have a similar issue to the originator, so I have done some testing with all three Airbus packages A318-9, A320-1, and now A333.  Initially,  I re-calibrated the CH throttle quadrant levers in the Windows devices panel.   I set up the same FSUIPC profile for all three packages, defining two levers, one per engine, using the "Axis Throttle X set" assignment but not calibrating them in FSUIPC.  To test idle readings , I initially increased the throttle levers to about half setting and then back to idle position.     In the first two packages, I got idle N1 readings of 19.1%, which is about what I would expect.  More to the point, these figure did not decrease when pressing the F1 key.      With the A333 however, the figures for idle settings are 1.014 EPR, and N1 of 23.9%, which seems a little high.  Unusually, when I press F1, the figures drop to 1.011 EPR and N1 of 19.2%, which seems more reasonable.   Only in the A333 do the figures in idle not reduce any lower than 23.9%, unless I press F1.  Why is this?   Is this the reason for increased speed while taxiing with idle throttle.   Certainly the A333 seems to behave differently to the others.    

I wondered if FSUIPC was the cause of the discrepancy, so I removed it altogether from P3D.   I defined the throttles inside P3D's normal axis definition menu.. I repeated the tests and the figures for the A318-9 and A320-1 were identical to those using FSUIPC, with no change in idle setting before and after pressing F1.   With the A333, the same figures were obtained as above, with a repeat of the discrepancy noted when FSUIPC was in use. So FSUIPC does not seem to be responsible for this varied behaviour.  I would be interested to hear what the developers make of this.   I must add that in all of my other aircraft, I do not remember a similar case.    Generally, if the axes are defined and calibrated properly, the idle engine values do not reduce any further when F1 is pressed.   I always do this check when setting up a new aircraft to ensure the throttles are working correctly.

2 hours ago, Miguel_V said:

It happens to me the same thing that you describe in point 1 with the A330, already happened that same with the A318,319,320,321 Pro when it went on sale, they solved it after a short time.

I agree. It took about a year after the release of the Airbus Pro A3XX Series for Aerosoft to work out all of the issues and I assume it will be the same with the 330. Lately the A330 starts to nose dive when it's time to descend: not sure what that's about but again I am guessing everything will be fixed over time. It's a nice aircraft and although I wish we had the same predefined views as the A3XX series it's a fairly decent alternative if you want to fly long haul in something other than Boeing. (And "fairly decent" will hopefully become "very nice" in the future)

I have also commented that the taxi speed is to high with my aircraft able to move forward at idle regardless of the weight.    In a different post I commented that the aircraft moves forward at idle with the ground equipment still attached

NEW DEVELOPMENT:

I restarted P3D and now the throttles do not work at all !  After pushback the aircraft started picking up speed upon break release. N1 and N2 were at about 73% and when I moved my throttle quad there was no response. Using the "F1" key temporarily reduced thrust to idle but then it went back to 73%.

I recalibrated in P3D and in FSUIPC with no change in control.

I loaded a different aircraft (CS 777) and the throttle quad controlled the thrust levers in the sim perfectly. I have no idea what happened. If I find anything I'll report back otherwise. And I believe this is a support forum? Correct?

If not, I'll post in the support forum.

UPDATE:

Spent about 4 hours after my previous post in an attempt to find the issue of the throttles in the sim not responding to the hardware. (Ironically the buttons/switches on the hardware worked so I knew the throttle quad was good) .

1. Make sure you save/export (or have saved) your P3D settings so in case you need to remap you can do so with the "import" function instead of resetting everything.

2. Then I made a copy of my "Modules" file in the root directory of P3D and stored it on another drive.

3. I deleted the contents of the modules folder (DO NOT DELETE THE MODULES FOLDER ITSELF).

4. Reinstalled FSUIPC.

After I reinstalled FSUIPC, everything started to work normally. BTW, I noticed I lost control of ALL the Airbus throttles (A3XX Pro Series as well as the A330).

Anyway, I hope this helps anyone else who may find this issue. I still think the engines are a bit overpowered as the aircraft will roll forward with minimal fuel loaded but I hope that will be corrected in a future update.

• Deputy Sheriffs
16 hours ago, VAFPilot said:

Anyway, I hope this helps anyone else who may find this issue. I still think the engines are a bit overpowered as the aircraft will roll forward with minimal fuel loaded but I hope that will be corrected in a future update.

As said earlier on this topic, the A330 RR engines are powerful and the aircraft will taxi forward with idle thrust especially at lighter weights. This is completely normal.

As for the throttles not responding are you using simStarter by any chance?

Archived