CRJ 700 PRO: VOR2 OBI incorrect indication on Captain's side

Hello,

In this aircraft, I think the VOR2 OBI is displaying the indication for VOR1 (which is a LOC in my case).  Here's the scenario:

Please login to display this image.

I want to practice the EDDS ILS RWY25 plate, using VOR nav.

• Select the CRJ700, positioned RWY 25 at Stuttgart (starts engines running, ready for dep)
  • Prior to departure, use the FMS RADIO page to tune NAV1 109.90 (ISTW, for the ILS shot later) and NAV2 109.20, for the departure and homing to LBU Ludwigsburg, which is the start of the plate.
  • Turn on the VOR1 and VOR2 bearings on the display control panel (NB these always seem to indicate correctly)
  • Turn on VOR2 as Nav Source.  This enables the yellow OBI indicator in the left PFD rose and the ND (sorry for the boeing terms)
  • Depart and start climb to first leg alt, 5000'.
  • Use the CRS knob to try to center the OBI TO LBU.
  • No matter how you turn the CRS1 knob, the OBI never centers. (The To/From arrow changes but seems to do this in a seemingly random position?)
  • Eventually I engage HDG mode and start an ontrack homing using the VOR2 BRG needle.  You can see in the screenthot that I'm abeam Stuttgart, 12 miles inbound LBU, with the OBI radial 242 deg.  The OBI deflection should (I think!) be zero - centered - at this point.

Here's where I think I can prove the bug:

• If I use the FMS RADIO to tune 109.20 on NAV1 but leave the Nav Source where it is - VOR 2 - the OBI instantly centers.

The FO's instrumentation is turned off.

Naturally I might have cocked something up here; heaven knows it's been a long time since I've done any beacon (non-RNAV) IFR work.

Cheers,

John

EDIT:  FO instrumentation is correct

Just for a laugh (?) I decided to turn on the FOs instrumentation to see what it said (this is a few miles later, but still during the inbound homing to LBU).

Please login to display this image.

... FO is configured the same way (both bearing needles VOR1/VOR2, nav source VOR2, ND format same).  Observations:

• With the FMS radios now configured as before (NAV1: ISTW, NAV2: LBU), I have a correct indication on the FO side - OBI centered.
  • Strangely, the VOR2 indications (data block, OBIs) is in green, not yellow like on the Captain's side.

I know the workaround is probably to sit in the right-hand seat 😉

-J

1 hour ago, jhawksley said:

Strangely, the VOR2 indications (data block, OBIs) is in green, not yellow like on the Captain's side.

While you are correct in the general assessment that the OBI does not  seem to center on offside VHF NAV source, the color is actually correct.

Onside (normal) VHF NAV source is displayed in green. Just as "FMS2" on F/O side would be white needles. Offisde NAV source (regardless of VHF NAV or LRN) is yellow :)

9 minutes ago, Nexus82 said:

While you are correct in the general assessment that the OBI does not  seem to center on offside VHF NAV source, the color is actually correct.

Onside (normal) VHF NAV source is displayed in green. Just as "FMS2" on F/O side would be white needles. Offisde NAV source (regardless of VHF NAV or LRN) is yellow :)

Gotcha.  Mystery solved!

Thanks!

-J

Archived