No Range rings

RoyalToto

• 3 weeks later...
  • Replies 67
  • Created
  • Last Reply
2 hours ago, Flugkapitan said:

Unfortunately, the latest experimental version released today, 1.0.0.7 did not resolve the issue 😞

This was not included on the Fix list for this update.  This is a complex issue that has to do with the type of graphics rendering someone is using, so it will take longer to research.  We can't say if or when this may be changed.

Best wishes.

If its turns out to be a render issue then it may get fairly complex issue due to P3D.  I will never lie to any of you guys. All I can say right now is the lads are looking at this. We'll give you guys an update as soon as we know something.

By the way, I never fly with range rings and never did when I flew with the Navy. I wonder how many real world bus drivers actually do. But its part of the system, so we'd certainly like to provide it.

Just give us some time to look into it.

Hi Dave,

Thanks for the reply and once again thanks for letting a person know what is going on.

In my case, in addition to the range rings missing is the dashed flight plan course line that displayed prior to pushing the heading knob to managed mode.

When I depart an airport,  since i use the default ATC,  I set the heading knob to the runway heading in selected mode. I then fly the ATC vectors until given the "turn to heading XYZ and proceed on course".

In the the Baby Buses, there are range rings and a dashed line showing the a track of the flight plan that was loaded. With the A330, that dashed track line (along with the range rings)  is not there. Only a solid line that shows what the current heading is. 

Range rings - yes can live without them. Is it normal for the loaded/desired flight plan track not to be displayed until the knob is pushed into Managed Mode?

Regards,

Scott

16 minutes ago, Flugkapitan said:

Hi Dave,

Thanks for the reply and once again thanks for letting a person know what is going on.

In my case, in addition to the range rings missing is the dashed flight plan course line that displayed prior to pushing the heading knob to managed mode.

When I depart an airport,  since i use the default ATC,  I set the heading knob to the runway heading in selected mode. I then fly the ATC vectors until given the "turn to heading XYZ and proceed on course".

In the the Baby Buses, there are range rings and a dashed line showing the a track of the flight plan that was loaded. With the A330, that dashed track line (along with the range rings)  is not there. Only a solid line that shows what the current heading is. 

Range rings - yes can live without them. Is it normal for the loaded/desired flight plan track not to be displayed until the knob is pushed into Managed Mode?

Regards,

Scott

No, that isn't normal. I haven't had time lately to fly or test, so I'll get 1.0.0.7 installed and give this all a look, but I can't get to that until Saturday. Hopefully one of the other guys will see this first.

• Deputy Sheriffs

We have talked this between developers. The issue lies in Sparse-Grid Supersampling (SSGS) anti-aliasing setting being so powerful that on dashed lines the anti-aliasing makes lines disappear. There is no "easy" solution to this other than making the lines bolder. This however means that anyone not using the SSGS setting will have unrealistically bold lines on their ND. Since we believe majority of users don't use the SSGS setting, it is not really a viable solution that we can apply. Unless we can come up with another solution to this issue at some point, I cannot see this getting solved unfortunately anytime in the near future. However we will keep looking if we can find a way to get it sorted at some point.

Solution right now is not to use SSGS setting. I know for people loving the SSGS this might not be a preferred solution, but right now there is no other method to "fix" this issue.

Hi Secondator,

Thanks for the reply and explanation. However, I am confused (a not unnatural state of affairs!). I do not have this issue with the Baby Buses - the range rings and dashed course line is there with 8xSSGS. Why then, would they not show on the A330 display?

Anyway, I changed via Nvidia Inspector from 8xSSGS to 8xSupersampling and the range rings now display on the A330 MFD.

Regards,

Scott

• Deputy Sheriffs

We did re-code the entire ND for the A330 to support separate ND displays without sacrificing on performance. So it's different code to render lines on the A320 and A330 and that is probably why it's working on the A320 and not on the A330.

If the new method is for performance sake, go back to the old method... I don't see enough of an improvement in performance between the 319/320/321 and the 330 to offset missing range rings, green route lines, and engine parameter dials.

Pushing this one back into the hangar for now, sounds like it'll be a while.

• Deputy Sheriffs

@VolgaDnepr

You have to remember that on the A330 the displays are completely separate units, unlike on the A320. Going back to the old method would mean that A330 would not have separate ND displays anymore. Especially for CFD flights, that we want to push as well with this product it would be a major setback.

Solution right now is to disable the SGSS anti-aliasing setting from nVidia inspector.

Archived