A330 - Two potential findings

Aviator1985

Hey there,

First of all nicely done. Looks good, performance is quite good, too. Currently on my way from ESSA to UUEE. I will continue to investigate, but I thought I might drop two (potential) findings. First of all I noticed that the plane at idle starts to roll when releasing the parking brakes. It slowly, but steadily will increase speed. I have to regularly use brakes to keep the speed constant. At first I thought that might be normal.... it appears some planes with powerful engine will in fact start rolling (and my load for that flight is light, too). Someone however suggested that in his tests didn't come across this "issue". I wouldn't know if anything else might cause this.... as I didn't change anything prior to installing the A330 (and my other planes including the A320 don't show this behaviour).

Secondly, which I also only observe with the A330 (also here the A320 doesn't show these "symptoms") is, when flying the A330 with the honeycomb yoke (yes bash me for it lol.... but it's just such a quality difference compared to my joystick and don't want to buy a joystick on the same level right now) I have to turn the yoke at least 50-60° to get some reaction and then it reacts pretty hard..... I am not sure if this is due to the fact that the yoke has a large aileron travel, but then again the A320 turns "normally" in a steady curve. I'd also like to note that the white cross on the indicator correctly corresponds to my yoke inputs.

Thank and Cheers,

Amadeo

• Deputy Sheriffs

The aircraft starting to roll depends a lot on the weight of the aircraft. I would assume that you were quite light since you are flying a short flight with light fuel load. The feedback we received from our Real World Pilot Advisors was that light aircraft will start rolling on idle thrust and heavy aircraft +200 tons will need a bit of thrust to get going but should maintain speed nicely on idle thrust. Remember that the weight difference can be huge on the A330 depending how much fuel you have on board.

For controls are you using P3D native control settings or something like FSUIPC?

12 minutes ago, Secondator said:

The aircraft starting to roll depends a lot on the weight of the aircraft. I would assume that you were quite light since you are flying a short flight with light fuel load. The feedback we received from our Real World Pilot Advisors was that light aircraft will start rolling on idle thrust and heavy aircraft +200 tons will need a bit of thrust to get going but should maintain speed nicely on idle thrust. Remember that the weight difference can be huge on the A330 depending how much fuel you have on board.

For controls are you using P3D native control settings or something like FSUIPC?

Yeah that was my initial thought on the taxiing. I just wanted confirmation on that, not that something is wrong with my setup and the fact that a beta tester claimed he never encountered the aircraft to accelerate (albeit very slowly) on idle so I thought I might share.

I am using the native axis settings.... calibrated with sensitive to max and nullzones at min. I assume the white cross on the PFD is linked to the yoke rather than the aircraft itself.  But who knows maybe the honeycomb isn't right for the A330. Maybe someone who used the honeycomb for the A330 might share some experiences. I will investigate myself to see if indeed I did some doing to this, but it's quite hard knowing I haven't really tampered on anything other than installing UUEE and the A330.

PS: Using the latest P3D client

1 hour ago, Aviator1985 said:

when flying the A330 with the honeycomb yoke (yes bash me for it lol.... but it's just such a quality difference compared to my joystick and don't want to buy a joystick on the same level right now) I have to turn the yoke at least 50-60° to get some reaction and then it reacts pretty hard..... I am not sure if this is due to the fact that the yoke has a large aileron travel, but then again the A320 turns "normally" in a steady curve. I'd also like to note that the white cross on the indicator correctly corresponds to my yoke inputs.

Nobody in their right mind would bash  you for using a Honeycomb Yoke, even though the Airbus uses a side stick.  I use it too, it's amazing.

The issue is likely you Windows and/or P3D calibration.

1. Close P3D.

2. Type the following into your Windows Search Bar:  USB Game Controller, and then select "Set up USB game controllers".

Please login to display this image.

3.  Which will bring up the following Window:

4. Select the "Alpha Flight Controls", and then select "Properties", then you'll get the following Window:

5. Then select the "Settings" tab, then select "Calibrate" and follow the instructions.  The instructions say to move the controller in circles, but with a Yoke that will mean operating the X and Y axis so that the "=" in the screen moves in circles.  Do this at least three times, then select Next and Finish.

6. Now open P3D, go to AXIS settings and Calibration, and at first set the Alpha Control settings as follows (you can fine tune them later, but start with the recommended settings).  Note:  You can set these recommended settings right away by selecting Default Settings as shown:

Let us know if you have any further issues!

Hello everyone!

I have the same problem with the plane handeling (using the Honeycomb Yoke aswell), on my way to LPPT (400nm to go) and i´ll check out Daves solution asap :)

regards

Max

Hey Dave,

I have actually done those steps before, but just in case have done so again. Nothing has changed and the yoke is actually configured correctly. The animations of the side-stick, ailerons and the white cross on the PFD respond perfectly to the yoke inputs. I also tested the A320 for reference as I recently used it to see if anything has changed. The A320 performed as expected (just like it did before without problems) to the inputs. It's just the A330 isn't as responsive as the A320.... and perhaps that's how the real aircraft actually behaves in real life. That's why I tried not to use the word "issue" but "finding". I haven't flown other heavies (787, 747, etc..) with the honeycomb, so can't really tell if it's just heavy vs. non-heavy aircraft. Perhaps the A320 is even too responsive. I can't say. The only thing I can say is that there is difference in responsiveness, between the A320 and the A330 when using the aileron.... but just the actual turn.... side-stick and aileron animation match the yoke inputs perfectly and show no difference between A320 and A330. Perhaps others notice the same responsiveness difference between the A320 and the A330.

Anyway the same about very slight acceleration during idle power, which possibly is perfectly normal for the A330 (not so healthy for the brakes though lol).

All I really want to know at this point is if others experience the same behaviors (again don't want to call it "issues" just yet as it may very well be what the real aircraft is like and/or intended to be that way) 😉

Cheers,

20 minutes ago, Aviator1985 said:

Hey Dave,

I have actually done those steps before, but just in case have done so again. Nothing has changed and the yoke is actually configured correctly. The animations of the side-stick, ailerons and the white cross on the PFD respond perfectly to the yoke inputs. I also tested the A320 for reference as I recently used it to see if anything has changed. The A320 performed as expected (just like it did before without problems) to the inputs. It's just the A330 isn't as responsive as the A320.... and perhaps that's how the real aircraft actually behaves in real life. That's why I tried not to use the word "issue" but "finding". I haven't flown other heavies (787, 747, etc..) with the honeycomb, so can't really tell if it's just heavy vs. non-heavy aircraft. Perhaps the A320 is even too responsive. I can't say. The only thing I can say is that there is difference in responsiveness, between the A320 and the A330 when using the aileron.... but just the actual turn.... side-stick and aileron animation match the yoke inputs perfectly and show no difference between A320 and A330. Perhaps others notice the same responsiveness difference between the A320 and the A330.

Anyway the same about very slight acceleration during idle power, which possibly is perfectly normal for the A330 (not so healthy for the brakes though lol).

All I really want to know at this point is if others experience the same behaviors (again don't want to call it "issues" just yet as it may very well be what the real aircraft is like and/or intended to be that way) 😉

Cheers,

Yes sir, regarding how the A330 handles, as a far larger aircraft compared to it's smaller Airbus cousins you're going to notice a little more lag from when you command the control surfaces and when the aircraft actually responds.

vor 11 Minuten, Aviator1985 sagte:

Hey Dave,

Cheers,

Hey Amadeo and Dave!

Same here, identical """issue""" like Amadeo has. I went trough the procedure as Dave advised. Made some test flights and there is no significant change. The aileron and elevator need a lot of input (visual 15-30°)...so the yoke is dancing hard around :D. Other planes act normaly on the input and maybe it is really the A330 in itself?

Kind regards

Max

I just did some fooling around and I think you can get used to it quickly. It will certainly pose a challenge when landing in Kai Tak (one of my planned flights with the A330), but I am sure it ain't impossible hehe 😉

Archived