Repaint requests (A330)

American Airlines...oh how I hate your paint!

So the bottom line is that this is going to be a gradient paint.

After trying many flat paint variants....I was never completely satisfied with outcome in the sim...even if I felt I nailed the color (which you never can with a metallic paint using a flat color BTW)

Anyway.....

This series of screenshots shows you the stark difference between a flat and gradient paint.

1st up....the madness that is my paint shop when working on countless variations of colors, hues, brightness, gradient patterns and such...here I am adjusting a gradient...the notepad shows just some of the colors I tried to match (7 on this list...many others that I didn't even bother to log after seeing them in the sim) what see see in the real world.

Please login to display this image.

Notice the bottom fuse (left side of the plane) is slightly darker than the right (I'm playing with the best brightness level now that I'm happy with the color...for now)

Depending on your monitor settings....it may not even be noticeable to you (hence the issue we have when someone claims a paint is too dark or light...sometimes its just monitor settings....or in-game settings, or Nvidia settings, or HDR settings, or time of day, season, cloud coverage, angle of view, etc....)

Now see the difference in flightsim....

Pretty amazing contrast in the sim vs what's on my paint screen huh?  Of course the light source in the sim is heavily influencing this effect as well....but you see the challenges painters face to get all the various paint settings just right (or as close as we can)

Finally....this next pic clearly shows how superior a custom gradient looks against a flat color selection when it comes to replicating a metallic paint in flightsim.  The mid-fuse texture map (on the right of the screen with the "n" in American near the border between the 2 texture maps) as you notice is a flat color...one of the many grays I tried after going thru my blueish phase....which I found is only relevant on an overcast day after looking at 100s of photos.  I may add just a tinge of blue to the final color to get a best mix scenario...as the in-sim color rendering engine does not faithfully reproduce the different hues you see in varying overcast conditions (Trust me I tried every type of overcast and saw no appreciable difference in the fuse color)

I KNOW you guys are anxious to fly an American paint...and trust me I'd like nothing more than to release one now for you guys to fly....but it would be a flat-color version that I would not be happy with...and neither would you after seeing a properly painted, gradient version. :)

Give me some time....in the midst of the holiday season when I'm not painting full time as you can understand....and I'll give you the best American Airlines repaint I can.....After all...I've done a few good ones in the past...hehe.

Okaayyyyy.....that is the OLD AA paint in bare metal (with PBR effects)...but you get the idea...I like to produce very good paints. ;)

• Like 4
  • Thanks 1
  • Upvote 1

vor 5 Stunden , steve dra sagte:

American Airlines...oh how I hate your paint!

So the bottom line is that this is going to be a gradient paint.

Looking forward. Thanks a lot for your contribution.

It's a shame American gave up that bare metal look - now that we have PBR!

Btw. anybody doing a Condor A330? Would be very much appreciated.

2 hours ago, olschelsea8 said:

Qatar Airways please. Happy Holidays.

Already done....

Guys...it would behoove you to check the downloads page before submitting a request....may save you some time. :)

• Upvote 1

The Edelweiss Air HB-JHQ (with the current livery) would be very nice for christmas holiday flights 😍

(I took the picture myself.)

7 hours ago, scottie2950 said:

Im literally dying for a Hawaiian or American 330.

You and I both! There have been quite a few requests for a Hawaiian Airlines paint and I know at least one is being worked on, hopefully they start to pop up soon!

• Like 1

Guys....I will get to Hawaiian....Hopefully other painters are monitoring this forum and have see the many requests for it and are ready to release one for you....mine is next after...well...you know. :)

You will see a "version" of my American paint before Christmas....I will release an "almost done to Steve's standards" version when I clean up the tail and tweak the custom sparkle I've added to the alpha layer to emulate AA's custom silver-mica paint.

In the screenshot below you can see the mica flecks between the "c" and "a" in American.   Its only visible close up (as it is in the real paint).

As I mentioned above...the paint effects are extremely difficult to get right, and you have to try all sorts of custom layer and channel and map editing to replicate this special paint.

• Like 3

I'll link the page to the upload when I finish up some last things (it'll be on the default Aerosoft Downloads page).

This will be version .90.   I have many little things still to do to her to make her what I feel will be a complete paint...but she is certainly flyable in her current condition...and I KNOW some folks are really wanting to fly this bird Christmas morning. :) (no way I'll have all the little touches done by then, I'll make the final updates and include a change log so you know what I updated later after the holidays)

....some of you may not even notice the changes as on most of them...you can't see them using the normal external views...you need a camera utility (or know how to move the default camera) to move in close to see the many enhancements I made to this paint.

I used some special techniques that are unique to metallic paints to try and replicate how they react to the sun's glint at certain angles...within flightsim (extremely difficult to do).

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

3 hours ago, steve dra said:

I'll link the page to the upload when I finish up some last things (it'll be on the default Aerosoft Downloads page).

This will be version .90.   I have many little things still to do to her to make her what I feel will be a complete paint...but she is certainly flyable in her current condition...and I KNOW some folks are really wanting to fly this bird Christmas morning. :) (no way I'll have all the little touches done by then, I'll make the final updates and include a change log so you know what I updated later after the holidays)

....some of you may not even notice the changes as on most of them...you can't see them using the normal external views...you need a camera utility (or know how to move the default camera) to move in close to see the many enhancements I made to this paint.

I used some special techniques that are unique to metallic paints to try and replicate how they react to the sun's glint at certain angles...within flightsim (extremely difficult to do).

Can't wait!! It looks incredible, thank you for dedicating so much time to make this repaint.

• Deputy Sheriffs

Merry Christmas and a little preview of the AIR TRANSAT.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Holgi said:

Amazing work Holgi!  We're truly blessed to have you providing such excellent work to the community - and of course even more blessed given how long and how many terrific liveries you've provided to people!

Thank you my friend, thank you so VERY, VERY much!

• Like 2

19 hours ago, Holgi said:

How about the C-GTSO with the same scheme (#3) instead, G-GCTS has already been painted by HV Repaints and is available here.

Also C-GCTS in the 30th scheme has been completed and is available at Avsim

19 hours ago, Holgi said: