Little pet peeve about licensing/installs

Every so often I'll do a format/reinstall of my windows which allows a "clean slate" testbed style computer for beta testing. 

I practice good "uninstall behavior" - by uninstalling from the control panel if there is an option to do so...

PFPX seems to not honor this... for on the new install I get the attached image message, that PFPX is installed on several different machines. Inevitably, you get to a certain point (is it every two years) where I must contact Christian at PFPX and ask for a reset. 

The bug is, that uninstalls somehow don't uninstall the licence from the PFPX server... even deactivating from within the config options seems to do nothing. 

Please login to display this image.

• Deputy Sheriffs

That is not a bug but the whole meaning of activation/installation counters. Their sole meaning is to keep track of the number of installations to identify/prevent piracy.

FlightSimSoft is absolutely not alone with this. Other developers like PMDG, Alabeo, Carenado, REX, Hifi, IPACS, Just Flight or PILOTS do exactly the same incl. the need to get your installation/activation counter reset from time to time.

Unlike FlightSimSoft who allow quite a huge number of re-installations before a reset, there are others who allow only one installation before a reset is already necessary.

I agree and totally understand... what annoys me is not the "keeping track" or the "counters"- but rather when I uninstall the program, it doesn't count as uninstall. Prepar3d does this very well- when you uninstall it rings the server, and you can then "as if in a suitcase" bring your program to the next computer. Keep in mind we have a licence for one install I believe, and technology should be in place to allow us to remove, and replace- such as taking a book from one shelf and putting it on another.

PMDG is the same way: you can install many times, provided the last install has been deactivated. If you forget to uninstall then yes- the server will still see the last installation. Beyond that- flight1 has a limit that once you hit, you have to go online and do a manual key reset. All is perfectly fine up until the point that you need human contact. Then you're at the mercy of the developer to read his/her email. 

Archived