Engine Performance

Double_Ugly

Hi, 

the performance model seems extremely  low. With a ZFW of 28.9 tons I cannot climb with 290 KIAS, regardless of MAX POWER or TOGA POWER setting. At FL 200 (level flight) I acchieve 220 KIAS with max power (93.6% N1). When I start to climb with more than 500fpm I decelerate into the stall region. I remember having the the same problem with the (old) early CRJ model, but it was fixed.

• Developer

Sorry to say but there must be something wrong as this is very unusual what you describe.

Please check your take-off data in EFB to verify your weights.

Then check you weather data and report back the ISA deviation.

Then make sure that your spoilers are not deployed and the gear is properly retracted.

Same for the flaps.

Send us some screenshots including load data and weather to check it on our side.

Also outside views to check the mechanical situation.

The takeoff was at EETN (almost sea Level) with an air temperature of 5 degrees Celcius. I closed this flight already but will do one tomorrow to varify this behavior. Of Course, the flaps, spoiler and gear were properly retracted.    

Sounds like a lot of drag somewhere. I don't recall exact number, which depends on SAT but at 20,000 msl it seems I get better than 2000 fpm with a pretty heavy aircraft. I assume anti-ice will affect performance somewhat, and the ballpark I state here is with only probe heat...no airframe or engine heat.

Kind Regards,

Steven Miller

• Developer
19 hours ago, Double_Ugly said:

Hi, 

the performance model seems extremely  low. With a ZFW of 28.9 tons I cannot climb with 290 KIAS, regardless of MAX POWER or TOGA POWER setting. At FL 200 (level flight) I acchieve 220 KIAS with max power (93.6% N1). When I start to climb with more than 500fpm I decelerate into the stall region. I remember having the the same problem with the (old) early CRJ model, but it was fixed.

I have done so many flights and never came across such behavior. I checked Anti-Ice again and it does not generate drag of that extend.

To check your flight I would need screens from your loading and then from different stages of flight. Best to activate the 3 screens as 2D and make a screen of those in sequence.

I took off at EPWA (ISA +3°C) with a TOW of 35.8 tons (ZFW 30.975) (see piture 1). After lift off I was barely able to maintain V2 with TOGA Power (no FLEX temperature set and anti-ice OFF). During climb I managed to get 1.000 to 1.400 fpm and now I'm crusing at FL200 and with MCT and HIGH PWR schedule set (N1 93.6%) I hold 210 KIAS in level flight (SAT -23°C). As you can see on the pictures my gear, flaps and spoiler are retracted. Even when being so close to MOTOW the aircraft should be able to accelerate to climb speed and be able to climb with more fpm than currently available. If I'm doing something wrong then I would appreciate any help. Thank you...Michael

Please login to display this image.

Today I was also on the road with the CRJ9, also the weights were comparable. But I was on FL330 with good climb rates.
On your second picture I miss the speed bug, which is always visible.

The VS Mode was only active for a short test, normally I use the Speed Mode for climbing. There you have a better protection agains stall.

Wolfgang

• Developer

Hi,

BTW it would be nice to have a signature on your post so we could talk names.

I have just repeated your flight without a flight plan, but that has nothing to do with what you experience as missing climb performance. 

Screen_01: EFB

Screen_02:Rotation to V2+10

Screen_03: AP in SPEED and HDG activated

Screen_04: Acceleration to SPEED 210 to clean up at T-Speed

Screen_05: Reaching 210 kts, Flaps UP and Throttle to CLB

Screen_06: Reaching 250 kts

Screen_07: CLB 280 after acceleration as of FL100

Screen_08: Same as 07 but with your airtemperature. VS is even better as a higher N1 is given from FADEC (89.6 vs 87.8)

I have no idea why yours should not behave the same. Maybe try without your weather program???

I tried a flight with 0 PAX / 0 FWD CARGO / 0 AFT CARGO / 4800 KG FUEL and the performance seems ok. When I use the performance module to load up the a/c I have a problem. Everytime when I adjust the values the green dot moves across the weight and balance sheet and disappears totally (CG movement seems unrealistic). When I select "SET PAYLOAD IN SIMULATOR" I receive a red value for CG and/or T.O.TRIM. When I hit the "SET PAYLOAD IN SIMULATOR" button again the values change back to to green and the green dot is positioned within limits and takeoff trim is most of the time 7.3. Pictures below show my observation. Am I doing someting wrong?   

vor 1 hour , Double_Ugly sagte:

Am I doing someting wrong?  

The answer is simple: Nothing 🙂

The 2x click behaviour is reported due the Beta Tests too but it seems Hans has difficulties to reproduce this at his PC. 

But nevertheless the CRJ works with this behaviour well and set the choosen weights correct into the FMC. Has you controlled the weights there?

You must keep an eye on the green dot. It should be between Max Landing and Max Take-Off.

Wolfgang

You see I was about 1900kg below max Take-Off weight and the CRJ700 climbed perfect.

A week or so ago I finally figured out the 2-click requirement. I find that whether I have to click twice depends on weight configuration. Most of the time I have to do the 2-click.

Kind Regards,

Archived