how close!?

GaryMcCl

Hello Gary,

So that is as good as it is a common question for flight simmers.

What you need to bone up on is something called RVSM.  Link provided below.

You know, if you came and flew Connected Flight Deck with us on the Aerosoft Discord Server, you'd not only learn about RVSM but a LOT more things!  We're actively training airline pilots, one pilot at a time.  We even hold live, fully interactive classes from time to time.

Here is the promised link:

https://www.boldmethod.com/learn-to-fly/airspace/what-is-rvsm-airspace/

RVSM at work - Aerosoft A330 Professional in a hold just before Geneva during a VATSIM event.

Please login to display this image.

50 minutes ago, Aviationgeek15 said:

Wow that was close 

Actually, not really. There was a few thousand feet difference between aircraft.  It may look close because one of those aircraft is also an A330... so bigger makes it look closer than it actually is.  The controllers managing the hold, in fact each of the event controllers did a terrific job during this event!  That doesn't always happen.

On 11/30/2019 at 2:34 PM, GaryMcCl said:

I don't know how, and I didn't mean it, but at 35,000ft I nearly hit another aircraft.  See the video attached.

I read about RSVM once but can't remember the particulars -- but safe to say, Eastbound, I do odd thousands (31, 33, 35, 37 thousand feet), and westbound, I do even thousands.

I think there are rules about adding 500 feet to those altitudes, too.

I don't know what AI you use but I would hope the AI I use (UTLive) does have that type of separation -- but I've never really checked.

• 2 weeks later...

Similar happened to me on VATSIM couple of days ago. Still quite a distance away, but still pretty cool to run into other peeps (not literally)

Archived