LOC capture

I flew serval flights to different Airports (EDDM 26L, EDDL23L) with ATC online. On every approach there where a normal vectors approach. I.e.RWY heading was 230 the heading to intercept was 260, 5nm before LOC.

ND was set to ILS and the AP set to APPR. But the plane didn't captured the LOC in the right time so the plane overshoot  and recaptured from the other side.

I flew this airports with an A320 and a Dash8 before and after with the same procedures and the planes captures the LOC correct.

here some pictures from my ILS approach at EDDM. the first 5 at 190kn, the next 5 at 130kn.

Please login to display this image.

• Developer

Well the 300+ degree U-turn needs to be flown by RNAV and cannot be managed by the ILS. In reality you would get vectors to intercept with speeds below 180 kts as the turn radius would then just fit to have a bit of a 30 degrees intercept leg at 5nm out. This is a very sporty approach!

To do that, the AP would need to be a higher class than that what is installed on the CRJ, which explicitly allows an overshoot in turns over 270 degrees. You can try it with HDG control for the turn but @160 kts and Flaps20.

ok, another aprroach. EDDL. from BOT 172 deg.to ILS23L.160kn, flaps 20.

• Developer

I believe you just need to arm the LOC earlier by pushing APP buton. Just 2 nm before the turn you are still in HDG mode and no LOC1 is armed. It should show right of the active modes in white. Alternatively you intercept the LOocalizer in manual HDG mode and then push APP.

ok, the next is EDDM RWY26L.

I flew a 315 deg to intercept. APPR button pushed. Then, when the plane should do a left turn to intercept, it turns a little bit right, overshoot and then turn left.

• Developer

Hello, unfortunately the AP does that small right and then left turn. It is known to the developer and on the list of items to look for a better solution. No promise when we will be able to offer a better precision.

Archived