Throttles jumping all over

Folks,

Not sure what's going on here. Just purchased the CRJ Pro and my throttles appear to be jumping all over the place. I'm using a Saitek USB throttle quadrant, fully calibrated, and when starting the takeoff roll I advance full forward and the throttles in the CJ jump to full forward, back to idle, mid-way, just jumping all over the place. After takeoff trying to figure things out, and exercising the throttle has no effect. I've flown several other aircraft in the last few days and this only seems to happen in the CRJ. Throttle just acting wild jumping all over.

Not using FSUIPC, simply using SPAD.next. Any ideas?

Update: I went into SPAD.next and turned down the axis sensitivity a bunch and the throttle seems to be settling down. Something I've never had to do before. Very, very twitchy though and the detents are way too close to one another in the axis. I'm also noticing that the A/P likes to chase the route back and forth. Sharp turns to catch the line, then overshoots the path, then sharp turn in the opposite direction. Missed some waypoints in the route all together.

I want to like this aircraft, but so far I have to say I'm pretty disappointed.

• Developer

I have a Saitek USB throttle quadrant too. But it's really not a good choice of hardware. Cheap pots, unstable and noisy signals. So, if the throttle is acting up, then this is probably the reason. The detents are close together, yes, but there's only a limited throttle range available in FS and I wanted to use as much of it as possible for the cruise range.

Regarding the AP, you're the first who reports anything like that. Can you post your flightplan, so I can check?

Perhaps, yes, but the throttle has served me well for all of my planes for a number of years. Not something I can blame the hardware for.

My flight plan was as follows:

EDDM GIVMI Y101 ERNAS T161 GOLMO AKANU L603 RATIM PSA ASKIK T840 GULKO EDDK

Some aircraft are not happy with the throttle being fed via FSUIPC, but could it perhaps help with noisy pots, as it can handle spikes, and smooth the signals? ... just an idea

• Developer
vor 2 Minuten, pellelil sagte:

Some aircraft are not happy with the throttle being fed via FSUIPC, but could it perhaps help with noisy pots, as it can handle spikes, and smooth the signals? ... just an idea

We don't have a problem with FSUIPC and it has a nice filtering function. That could be a solution.

• Developer
gerade, pellelil sagte:

I run with FSUIPC also and have never had any problem with it, but are using digital throttle (Thrustmaster Warthog HOTAS).

I don't use FSUIPC, but I have a GoFlight GF-TQ6, a Saitek TQ, the throttle slider on my Thrustmaster T.16000M and a Thrustmaster TWCS throttle. The first two use pots. Neither is what I would call "great". The T.16000M's throttle slider is tiny (about 1cm range) but has hall sensors and is extremely precise and better then the GF-TQ6 and Saitek. The TWCS has the same sensors and a slider range of about 8cm. Once I got used to it, it became my favourite throttle. Its only downside is that it has just one handle, not two. But I only need to handles for specific tests, so it's not a problem.

I use the Thrustmaster HOTAS Warthog Throttle (and Stick) and I have the same problem with the CRJ, but in a mild version: during cruise, usually one throttle jumps back a bit and stays there. After moving the throttles again, they are together for a while, then one jumps away again. It does that only with the CRJ, not with any other aicraft. It happens only in cruise, never during climb or descend.

• Developer
Vor 1 Stunde, AaronMyers sagte:

I'm using the free version of FSUIPC and am not really keen on having to purchase that to solve this issue just for the CRJ.

Well, it's not a problem with the CRJ. I can assure you that. Because people have been using exactly this throttle control code ever since the CRJ 700/900X has been released and without problems.

I posted this problem on my virtual airline forum and three others have stated they have the same issues, and have since the first version. Perhaps they should have reported this and didn't, but I'm not confident in your assertion that it is not a problem with the CRJ.

I also fly PMDG 737, 747, Majestic dash, Maddog, and many others none of which exhibit these problems. That said, if we deny the CRJ is the source of the problem then I have little faith anything will be corrected.

• Aerosoft

Aaron, if we have many thousand of users who do NOT have this issue and four who have the issue. How could it be a problem with the code? We are almost 100% sure that if you attach a well working throttle it will work fine. So indeed, the chance Hans will be willing to chance his code for four users (possible causing issues for many thousands) is small. 

Can you urgently ask the three other people who have problems for come forward so we can rule out some strange interference? Please do not try to relay information, we really like to hear fro them directly to save time and information lost in translation.

Having just been playing around with my (warthog) throttle in the CRJ they are butter-smooth, not jumping around or anything. For the best result I have to disable them in FSUIPC and only have them configured in P3D, and set the "Throttle Axis Value Range" in the EFB to "Default". This way the CRJ is reacting to the full range of my throttle and there is some "spacing" between the "CLIMB", "TOGA" and "MAX POWER".

Disabling them in P3D and configure them in FSUIPC in stead (and set the CRJ EFB to "FSUIPC without Reverser Range"), they are still butter smooth but now it seems the CRJ is only reacting to half of my throttle range (the CRJ goes to "MAX POWER" when I feed in about 1/2 of the throttle movement), and since it only reacts to half of the movement "CLIMB", "TOGA" and "MAX POWER" are very close to each other (harder to dial in).

EDIT: Just a quick follow up. If I run them through FSUIPC and configure the CRJ EFB to "default" (even though I use FSUIPC) they run just as fine as if running them in P3D. The CRJ is reacting to the full range, and at no time I have seen any spikes or jitter.

• Aerosoft

As we said many times, there is no need for FSUIPC and we actively recommend not using it, unless there your hardware requires it. It adds another layer between your controllers and the sim and making sure that all works can be rather complex.

And if you do not want to take our advise, it's what Pete himself advises. Use FSUIPC if you need it not when you do not need it. P3D has a pretty good interface to controllers.

11 hours ago, Mathijs Kok said:

Aaron, if we have many thousand of users who do NOT have this issue and four who have the issue. How could it be a problem with the code? We are almost 100% sure that if you attach a well working throttle it will work fine. So indeed, the chance Hans will be willing to chance his code for four users (possible causing issues for many thousands) is small. 

Can you urgently ask the three other people who have problems for come forward so we can rule out some strange interference? Please do not try to relay information, we really like to hear fro them directly to save time and information lost in translation.

Again, while I understand that this throttle is not high end, I also understand that all my other aircraft seem to handle its inputs just fine. I see this behaviour with none of the others and the environment is exactly the same for all of them.

Also, I have asked that the others file their reports, but obviously I can't twist their collective arms to do so. When I myself report this and am told that it has nothing to do with this aircraft without any real investigation I kind of understand their reluctance.

What about the nav issues? Any feedback on that? Anything else I can provide to assist troubleshooting?

I'm trying to be realistic, and trying not to be an ass, especially during this time of year. I can appreciate how much work likely went into this aircraft and am not trying to disparage, I'm just trying to get assistance.

As an IT manager I can realistically say that I would never tell any of my users, "sorry, it works for everyone else, what would you like me to look at". That just doesn't fly in the real world. With that, I guess I'm on my own.

• Aerosoft

We are in the real world and in the real world we simply know the issue is not in the code but in your hardware or software. You are simply the ONLY one who has that issue and we simply have absolutely no idea what we could change.  As an IT manager you must know that in situations like this you simply have to tell the customer there is nothing that can be done. If you friends come online we will be more then willing to reconsider as we then can see if there are similarities that explain the effect. As they all come from the same organisation (you VA) makes it even more likely there might be something that they have in common. 

I am sorry you are not happy, but until we have even the slightest indication there is an issue in the code we will not be able to assist. 

I am also currently experiencing some issues with some erratic control behavior but I am 100% sure it is my Saitek throttles that are the problem. While the CRJ does in fact seem to be more sensitive to control inputs and thus any controller 'noise' I do not believe it is the fault of the aircraft but rather that my Saitek units are just old and have very noisy pots.  Most aircraft don't seem to be as adversely affected by this aside from piston engine aircraft which have near immediate engine response to control inputs.

My problem actually lies in my flap lever assignment at the moment in which it is randomly retracting the flaps from the TO position. I do see some erratic throttle behavior as well though and given that the output from a noisy Saitek controller can literally jump 10k up and back again when they are in bad shape, I'd say the CRJ is interpreting the spike and momentarily putting the throttle into the CLB or TOGA detente.

Unfortunately, Saitek is the best I can afford so these issues are just ones that I need to accept and deal with as best I can. 

BTW, it's a bit rudimentary in nature but exercising the control axis rapidly for a minute or two (i.e. slide the lever up and down the full length of travel) seems to clear some of the spikey response for at least a while. I suspect it helps clear corrosion off of the less utilized portions of the range.  It's not a great solution but it's better than taking it apart!

• Aerosoft

Cleaning pots is really not a really difficult thing and there are few controllers I have not opened and serviced over the years. You just have to be damned careful on what you use. There are a kazillion sites with advice but DexIT is seen as effective and safe for a long time. What WD40 is for anything in my garage, DeoxIT is for my office. Everytime I change a graphics card, memory module etc I use a tiny little bit on a bit of cloth to clean the contacts. Problems there are a total bitch to debug.

297838.jpg

As one of my hobbies is old audio I have a lot of experience with crackly pots but after dozens and dozens of pots with problems I have only had to replace two. Just do not mess with any old spray can that states it cleans contacts. There is a lot or rubbish being sold. 

If you rather use software, FSUIPC is really pretty good art removing spikes.  It does make any input a bit mushy but that is a price you probably pay gladly. 

Archived