Update options to the new Microsoft Flight Simulator platform

• Aerosoft

We got some questions about our commercial plans for Microsoft Flight Simulator recently and I decided to make a small comment. 

Because we are still early in the process (i.e. we simply have no copy to test on nor do we have an SDK) we have freedom to make the best decisions based on what we see in the new sim. It may very well be that we can 'import' the product easily, but we’ve never been fans of that. Our preference is to use the new options and features to make a product that utilizes the new sim. This has been a principle for all our aircraft and most certainly will continue in this case. We simply ask you to trust that we'll offer a reasonable upgrade price. I think our track record in this area is pretty solid. 

This comment, next to what my good friends at PMDG recently did, might suggest PMDG has more information then we have. This is not the case. As some people might know I live not far from Bordeaux where the developers are located and I have had the pleasure to visit their office already four times. The people at Asobo are not only incredibly open and helpful people, they are also very gracious hosts. All the information we gathered there, is shared with PMDG, as they are one of our strategic partners and of course also in contact with Asobo and Microsoft,  but for whom a visit is less easy.  

I can't stress enough what a pleasure it is to 'work' with Microsoft and Asobo on this exciting new platform. It is a total change from our past experiences. They really want to make this a platform for everybody. A new base for the future.

Mathijs thank you for the information. Everyone is asking about where FSX/P3D will go after this and if our products will be migrated into MS2020. It's a matter of patience now. Enjoy what you have now and thank Microsoft/Asobo studios for what they've created by buying the sim when it comes out. 

29 minutes ago, Mathijs Kok said:

It may very well be that we can 'import' the product easily, but we’ve never been fans of that. Our preference is to use the new options and features to make a product that utilizes the new sim. This has been a principle for all our aircraft and most certainly will continue in this case.

I fully understand where this is coming from, I too would like to see the new features to be utilized. However this takes time. Don't worry, I totally accept that, but a straight import might make the difference between something and nothing at all. It could be a temporary solution to have at least something to use while we wait for the final product with the new features.

That is of course, if a straight import is possible. That's not always the case and if it's not possible, then the whole discussion is irrelevant. Don't waste too much energy on it, that ain't worth it. However if it's a simple thing, why wouldn't you do it? As long as it's clear that it's a temporary version and not the final product, the lack of implementation of the new features won't be an issue.

This is by no mean to bash Aerosoft, cause you're right about fair upgrade prices, but I have already bought all three versions of the Airbusses, from the first one to the latest prof. models, so I most likely won't buy another one. I'll wait and see what the one that comes with MSFS looks and performs like. I don't need coffee (I don't drink coffee) or a newspaper to enjoy my Airbus 🙂

• Aerosoft
10 hours ago, Paul K said:

Aerosoft's interest in this new sim is very encouraging. Great to hear - please keep us informed, Mathijs.

As far as legally allowed, yes.

But basically we love every new sim. As you know we are the only ones who does add-ons for FS. P3D, X-Plane and AFS2

On 12/3/2019 at 8:09 AM, Mathijs Kok said:

As far as legally allowed, yes.

Absolutely. I imagine the NDAs are quite prohibitive. I've seen mention of the SDK that will be released to developers, and of course that leads my thoughts to Aerosoft's aircraft range, and what might be ported over to FS2020. I'm not going to turn this into another 'wish list' thread, but I have my fingers crossed for certain possibilities. I'm rather excited about what we are seeing in FS2020, and if the add-on industry has full access to the sim, then the golden years of flight simulation are about to begin.

Merry Christmas to you and all at Aerosoft.

Archived