HUD flight path direction indicator

As far as I can tell the flight path direction indicator circle (not 100% sure what the correct technical name for it is) doesn't account for any wind drift.  It always seems to be horizontally centered in the middle of the display.

On approach with a crosswind for instance, I would expect that the flight path indicator would be offset from the center, accounting for the wind drift, and helping to align the aircraft's flight path with the runway.

Cheers

Oliver

• Developer

You mean the flight path vector (FPV).  It points where the aircraft is going. It is calculated from forward and side movement of the aircraft, so wind is only used indirectly. It's also smoothed out or it would jump all over the place (FS's wind is quite jumpy). I admit that I haven't flown with HUD in a while, but I'm pretty sure that pointing the FPV to the runway always led me there.

Here are a couple of screenshots. I'm not sure exactly how much it would help, but I was on approach with a bit of a crosswind from the left (based on the wind vector on the HUD and nav display).

The FPV shows the flight path going to the left of the runway, which is where the nose is pointed.

The aircraft actually ended up a bit right of the runway, before I corrected, I believe due to the crosswind from the left.

Please login to display this image.

• 2 weeks later...

Just to follow up here's another similar situation where I have a crosswind, my track is coming straight into the runway, but my heading is offset to compensate for the crosswind.  Can anyone else post a screenshot of what they see in a similar situation?

• 2 months later...

Used to fly a helicopter in real life with this.  The FPV shows you where the aircraft is really going.  Just fly the aircraft so that the FPV is on the touchdown point , we never looked at the attitude reference or the nav track in the landing mode.

Archived