If you want a Honeycomb Alpha for Christma you better order fast because we are quickly running out of stock!

alpinewarren

Love this aircraft - One thing on wishlist...

I was lucky enough to have some time in the DC-8 and well and DC-9 and other early turbojets - Being that very set airspeeds are needed for efficient climb to higher flight levels I would love to see an implemented IAS hold mode with a speed bug...  It was the only way we climbed - VS hold requires a lot of baby-sitting.

Well done on this product!

• Like 1

7 hours ago, Mathijs Kok said:

I believe those were optional were they not?

Per the Operating manual pg 24 Pitch Selector Switch

The switch will not hold in MACH HOLD or IAS HOLD since these functions are not usable as autopilot modes of operation.

I would agree with Alpine that IAS is by far the preferred way to climb any aircraft not just turbojet.  This function is doable though.  Leonardo's Maddog  has this function inbuilt into their automation.

On 11/24/2019 at 7:55 AM, Mathijs Kok said:

I believe those were optional were they not?

Perhaps optional but I never flew one that didn't have it - And you could bust a checkride climbing with the VS hold.  Once above @FL220 heavy you could get in deep behind the L/D curve if not careful and very attentive and have no other option that to descend to get your speed back up.  :)

On 11/25/2019 at 11:32 AM, alpinewarren said:

Perhaps optional but I never flew one that didn't have it - And you could bust a checkride climbing with the VS hold.  Once above @FL220 heavy you could get in deep behind the L/D curve if not careful and very attentive and have no other option that to descend to get your speed back up.  :)

I may be mistaken, but I think he has modelled a 1960's-era DC-8, which did not have IAS hold.

We seldom used IAS HOLD on DC-8 62-63 or DC-9 in SAS as it was too erratic.......

For climb OAT changes made too much impact of the Climb Rate so it was better to closely monitor climb with V/S input and adjust when needed

For Optimal Descent Planning V/S rate better matched Distance and Altitude to Destination

If You want a specific climb/descent rate according to restriction/performance the Stoneage A/P must be used in V/S mode or why not manual flying....:))

This is my very personal opinion regarding how to fly DC-8 and DC-9....................

The manuals were very specific for the 50 series in stating that IAS hold was not implemented.  The text from the real life manual in this respect is copied into the one that ships with the product.