Twin Otter Bendix King KR87 ADF & 0.5 Khz resolution

Ace9

Hi there.

I am interested to find out how the real world Bendix KIng KR 87 ADF unit (Twin Otter Extended), identifies a frequency with a 0.5 Khz shifted resolution. 

I notice that the KR 87 ADF unit in the Aerosoft unit does not have the ability to tune in the 0.5Khz but accurately tunes in to and identifies NDB's with a 0.5Khz frequency resolution. 

(Example NDB: - Sky Vector reports EGHI 's NDB (EAS) as having a frequency of 391.5 Khz, but Airport Nav Finder indicates the same NDB to have a frequency resolution of 391 Khz and both P3D & FSX use the 0.5Khz frequency resolution it being a CAA European standard requirement)

Can anyone please advise in a brief way, how tuning in to the 0.5 Khz is achieved on the real world KR 87 ADF if indeed it is possible, perhaps there is an automatic 1/2Khz seek function? or perhaps point me in the right direction (pardon the pun) to ask?

Many Thanks

Roger     

13 hours ago, Mathijs Kok said:

Even if the more modern version of the device might do that, the sim does not know about these frequencies so right now it can't be simulated.

Sorry Mathijs, perhaps I have not explained my self very well. I was hoping to find out how the real world KR 87 tunes in to the 0.5K Khz frequency resolution, but have since found out that it cannot in any event.

There is no issue with the KR 87 fitted in the Aerosoft Twin Otter Extended,

In fact whoever programmed it did an amazing job because it does pick the 0.5 Khz frequencies.

P3D & FSX do infact simulate the 0.5 Khz NME frequency resolution which is peculiar to Europe only and is described in the CAA documentation Section 2.2.1 Applicable Standards EUROCAE document ED-51 [Ref 4] 

• 5 months later...
  • Deputy Sheriffs

Because we believe this topic has been answered we have closed it. If you have any more questions feel free to open a new topic.

• Herman locked this topic

Archived