1.2.5.2 Experiemental and Managed Descent

Norcal Bear

I've recently re-installed the A320/A321 Professional Package to see how things have progressed with regards to the "managed descent" phase of flight.  A fresh install was performed and updated to 1.2.5.2 via the updater.  I've completed three flights with the A321 and each has shown the same general behavior when beginning descent for the arrival.  The aircraft was loaded via the fuel/payload manager and the MCDU was set up properly with a flight plan, weights, departure and the aircraft behaved as to be expected during the ascent to cruise altitude.  When preparing for descent, the normal procedures were followed (arrival inserted, destination data entered for approach phase, etc) and the TOD indicator appears on the navigation display as expected.  A lower altitude was dialed in and when reaching approximately 10 miles prior to TOD, the altitude button was "pushed in" to begin a managed descent.  Now since the descent was started prior to the TOD, the aircraft will be "below" profile and a shallow descent should begin until it captures the profile descent.  Unfortunately, the profile indicator (green dot alongside the altitude tape) drops quickly to indicate that the aircraft is automatically "above profile" which it is not.  Then, a rapid descent will begin as the aircraft tries to capture the profile (I've seen as high as a 4,500/minute descent).  Once it is satisfied that it is back on profile, the descent rate will decrease and it resumes a normal rate of descent.  Things tend to calm down but once it reaches another altitude constraint on the arrival, the aircraft quickly descends to capture the next altitude on the arrival.  It appears the program is having trouble properly calculating the descent rates for each phase or constraint on RNAV arrivals, thus causing the rapid descents, etc.  And yes, I understand the difference between managed/open descent modes in the Airbus.  Anyway, just my observations if you're still looking for feedback.  

Thank you for writing to us!

We're aware of this, and the team is in the process of updating the VNAV.  In fact, we've got the VNAV working pretty darned well in the A330 and we're back-fitting the 320 series with the same (highly similar) VNAV code.

Right now behind the scenes it's all hands on deck working, testing and tweaking the A330 as we get the aircraft ready for you guys.  But (and this is my personal Best Guess so please don't try and hold me to it, I don't make any of the decisions for this stuff) I believe we'll publish an update to the A320 Series (A318/A319 and the A320/A321) sometime around the release of the A330 which is currently slated for this December.  An A320 Series update might be out sooner, but that's a pretty big MAYBE.

Now, I'm currently on the Customer Version of the A320 Series so that when I have the time I can fly Connected Flight Deck with you guys (our terrific customers) on the Aerosoft Discord Server - which by the way has been GREAT FUN for me as I get to meet you guys on a more personal level and enjoy flying with you both in single flight deck and Connected Flight Deck (CFD)!  But sometime next week I plan to jump back over to the Beta of the A320 Series to evaluate the Beta changes and when I do I'll do my best to update this thread with my impression of the VNAV changes we've done thus far.

Please login to display this image.

What I can tell you about the current customer experimental version of the A320/A321 (version 1.2.5.2) is the green dot is somewhat wacky in descent as you've already seen), but overall the VNAV descent itself is working pretty darned good.  Of course it does need some changes, but it's working pretty well. Where realism is concerned, I think it's important to remember that in controlled airspace airliners often use Open Descent instead of Manag4ed Descent as ATC often descends them directively especially when it's a tight, heavily populated airspace, so if the wacky green dot bug really bothers you (hey, it bothers us too) then you can always fuse Managed Descent.  But rest assured, we're committed to resolving the issue!

Thanks again for writing to us!  We really enjoy hearing from you guys!

Best wishes my friend!

Thanks for the response..I appreciate it and I know the team is working hard.  Yes, I used a combination of V/S and open descent last night on VATSIM and it seemed to work pretty well (which like you said, is something used regularly in controlled airspace).  Looking forward to updated releases as well as adding the A330 to my hangar...I, along with the rest of the community, want to see these products succeed!

11 minutes ago, Norcal Bear said:

Thanks for the response..I appreciate it and I know the team is working hard.  Yes, I used a combination of V/S and open descent last night on VATSIM and it seemed to work pretty well (which like you said, is something used regularly in controlled airspace).  Looking forward to updated releases as well as adding the A330 to my hangar...I, along with the rest of the community, want to see these products succeed!

Thank you my friend!

I'll leave this thread open for now in order to provides more information about this in the future.

Thanks again!

Archived