Transition altitude?

Captain Fred97

In reading the step by step guide, it mentions a transition altitude of 7,000 feet when setting up the FMS approach page into EGLL.  I am confused by this since the transition altitude in the US is 18,000 feet or is this the altitude of the last transition waypoint before final approach? Please clarify this point.

48 minutes ago, Captain Fred97 said:

In reading the step by step guide, it mentions a transition altitude of 7,000 feet when setting up the FMS approach page into EGLL.  I am confused by this since the transition altitude in the US is 18,000 feet or is this the altitude of the last transition waypoint before final approach? Please clarify this point.

The Transition Altitude in the US and Canada is indeed 18,000ft. However in other parts of the world, transition altitudes are different.  For instance, the TA for Amsterdam Schiphol (EHAM) is only 3000ft.  It's always best to check the Airport Chart for this information.

By the way, this information is also in the Airbus, and you'll notice the altimeter message warning you that you've past the Transition Altitude for the airport you're flying into if you fail to take the altimeter out of STD mode.

Best wishes!

53 minutes ago, Captain Fred97 said:

As far as I know EGLL is not in the US (yet). The USA, as much as they'd like to be, are not the whole world ;)

Archived