Installation Error with PAFA

rowcoach

Good afternoon,

I ran the installer for PAFA Professional (P3D). I didn’t think about changing the install path, so both PAFA and PANC currently reside in my Programs x86 folder. Everything seems to run okay, except one thing. I tried to install SODE jetways (an add on from the swing-wings site). When I get the black dialog box and ‘click any key to continue’ prompt, I see permission denied. I think this has something to do with x86 folder. When I go to the airport, I see both the default jetway and a SODE jetway superimposed on each other. 

A couple questions on what what to do next. Should I uninstall and reinstall into a different folder? If I do uninstall, would I also have to delete the entry from the scenery XML folder? Instead of uninstalling PAFA, can I just edit the XML file to move it into a different folder in another location? 

Thank you you for your help. 

Cheers,

colin

41 minutes ago, rowcoach said:

Good afternoon,

I ran the installer for PAFA Professional (P3D). I didn’t think about changing the install path, so both PAFA and PANC currently reside in my Programs x86 folder. Everything seems to run okay, except one thing. I tried to install SODE jetways (an add on from the swing-wings site). When I get the black dialog box and ‘click any key to continue’ prompt, I see permission denied. I think this has something to do with x86 folder. When I go to the airport, I see both the default jetway and a SODE jetway superimposed on each other. 

A couple questions on what what to do next. Should I uninstall and reinstall into a different folder? If I do uninstall, would I also have to delete the entry from the scenery XML folder? Instead of uninstalling PAFA, can I just edit the XML file to move it into a different folder in another location? 

Thank you you for your help. 

Cheers,

colin

Which sim (FSX, P3Dv1, P3Dv2, P3Dv4, P3Dv3, P3Dv4)?  If you're running FSX, please let me know the version you're running (there are 4 different versions, FSX, FSX Deluxe, FSX Acceleration and FSX Steam (FSX:SE). I doubt you're running FSX:SE as it takes care of the permissions issue when installing to the Program Files X86 folder (though I don't know if that resolved it for SODE, but I think it did).

Looking forward to hearing back from  you.

Hey Dave,

Thanks for your quick reply. I’ve finally made the jump to P3Dv4. Still getting the hang of the differences between it and FSX. 

Cheers,

colin

Just now, rowcoach said:

Hey Dave,

Thanks for your quick reply. I’ve finally made the jump to P3Dv4. Still getting the hang of the differences between it and FSX. 

Cheers,

colin

Great move!

So the problem here is that you installed to the Programs Files (X86) folder, presumably to an old FSX folder?  Really doesn't matter, I'm just curious where it went to.  Now running a 64-bit sim and addons, you'll want to avoid anything going to the Programs Files (X86) folder because that's for 32-bit software.

Also, since the default installation path for the scenery pointed to the Programs Files (X86) folder, we'll need to find out for sure if the scenery you're installing is native (made for) P3Dv4.  There are two Aerosoft Fairbanks products, Fairbanks X for FSX/FS2004/P3D V1-V3, and Fairbanks Professional for P3Dv4. The normal default location for Fairbanks Professional should not be the Program Files X86 folder. 

If you have the older Fairbanks X, you can purchase Fairbanks Professional for a LINK -> pretty good discount. If you have the older version and decide to upgrade, then during checkout, simply enter the Fairbanks X Serial Number in the coupon section and the discount will automatically be applied.

Since you're new to P3Dv4, something else I'll pass on is that as we upgrade our scenery to P3Dv4 we add the "Professional" to the product name, and we already have many airports that have been upgraded.

If/when you have Fairbanks Professional:

What you'll need to do is:

1. Uninstall the Scenery from the Program Files X86 folder, and manually remove any left folder folders/files. 

2. Reboot.

3. Reinstall the scenery per the documentation, which you'll find in the unzipped scenery installer folder.

4. Reboot (always reboot after installing one or more P3Dv4 addons is a great habit. Not needed 100% of the time, but best to do).

5. Enjoy the scenery!  Also, don't forget to check the manual, which will be installed with the scenery.

Best wishes my friend!

Yeah - it’s definitely been a learning experience. I don’t regret switching over, it’s just a little bit of work getting everything all squared away. All in all, I’m very happy with how everything looks. 

I took a look in my Programs x86 folder. In it were:

- Fairbanks Professional

- Anchorage Professional

- A318/319 Airbus Professional

- A320/321 Airbus Professional

I’ll use the uninstaller that came with both sceneries and then re-install as per the instructions in the manual and what you noted above. Not sure why they installed into that folder. Should I move the aircraft as well?

Thank you for you you time and help. 

Cheers,

colin

14 minutes ago, rowcoach said:

Yeah - it’s definitely been a learning experience. I don’t regret switching over, it’s just a little bit of work getting everything all squared away. All in all, I’m very happy with how everything looks. 

I took a look in my Programs x86 folder. In it were:

- Fairbanks Professional

- Anchorage Professional

- A318/319 Airbus Professional

- A320/321 Airbus Professional

I’ll use the uninstaller that came with both sceneries and then re-install as per the instructions in the manual and what you noted above. Not sure why they installed into that folder. Should I move the aircraft as well?

Thank you for you you time and help. 

Cheers,

colin

Yes sir, everything I'm afraid.

The Airbus will install to your Documents folder, I recommend leaving it there.

I haven't announced it yet, but soon I'll offer a class on P3Dv4 Addon Management and will cover a lot of this stuff and lead to better performance, etc. The minimum I do mini-classes for is 6 people. 

If interested, keep monitoring the forums for the announcement.

Archived