A321 not following gps path, stuck into "Climb into Cruise Level" mode

Leo Vcz

Hi Guys,

On professionals a320 and also a321 , i have 2 troubles:

- Once my MCDU is setup correctly, the "PERF page" always show the "Take OFF page".
  So, im always stuck on "Climb into Cruise Level" mode, and checklist never continue, even when i reach the FL which is set.

- Autopilot does not follow the right path ,  from takeoff to the first next VOR. It continues his way, straight to infinite, and never turn, just like if GPS is not working. 

I need help please, thanks !

Hi Mathijs,
Well, i did check, and i confirm that i'am in Managed Lateral Guidance mode.

Plane do not follow the path.

If i switch to Selected Lateral Guidance and give him a HDG, he follows the HDG. But, i want GPS NAV. 

So, what should i do ? im lost.

Here a screenshot :

Thanks for your help.

Please login to display this image.

Mathijs is correct about this, and if you'll give me a minute or so I'll explain this a little bit.

When moving to a complex airliner, many flight simmers cut their teeth on Boeings and MD.  I certainly did, and I spent a good amount of time learning those aircraft very, very well.  But I'll tell you, the knowledge I gained on Boeing did me next to no good when it came to the Airbus.  I'm pretty sure I fell into the advanced flight simmer category (if there is such a thing) when I was flying Boeings, but our friend Emi will tell you that try as I might, applying what I knew about Boeings to the Airbus just didn't work (no matter how hard I tried.... lol).

Airbus employs a radically different approach to design and operational aspects of the aircraft they build, and migrating from Boeing to Airbus is really is like starting over.  Taking time to read the documentation and then doing the tutorial flights is well worth the effort and will save  you loads of time and problems in both the short and long term.

Best wishes my friend!

• Deputy Sheriffs

Hi Leo,

Also I noticed that you are using rather old version of the Airbus. Could you please update at least to stable version 1.2.5.2 and see how that works.,

Hi Mathijs and Dave,

to be honest, your replies read very disappointing. It is of low value to refer to the tutorial ever again. and that Airbus follows a different philosophy is correct but does not solve the problem Leo has and I have as well.

I experience the same problem after(!) installing the newest version of the A318/A319 professional, for newly created flights as well as for saved flights, which worked fine with me many times before(!). So, something must have changed. But I don't know what. May be that there is a good reason for this, but I'd like to know, how to overcome this problem. I ask you for help.

If you are interested, I can send you the .fxml file and the .fms file of a saved flight that showed no problems before.

Additional Info:

PROG page remains in PREFLIGHT phase, i.e. does not switch to TAKE OFF, although the switching conditions should have been met (thrust levers TOGA, speed >90 kts). PERF page remains in TAKEOFF phase. Furthermore, PFD is in CLB/NAV mode and PFD shows THR CLB, when passing THR RED altitude and thrust lever set to CL detent. I.e. from a PFD point of view everythings seems ok, but MCDU does not follow the phase changes and FMS does not direct the A/C along the flight plan waypoints.

5 hours ago, AMJBecker said:

Hi Mathijs and Dave,

to be honest, your replies read very disappointing. It is of low value to refer to the tutorial ever again. and that Airbus follows a different philosophy is correct but does not solve the problem Leo has and I have as well.

I experience the same problem after(!) installing the newest version of the A318/A319 professional, for newly created flights as well as for saved flights, which worked fine with me many times before(!). So, something must have changed. But I don't know what. May be that there is a good reason for this, but I'd like to know, how to overcome this problem. I ask you for help.

If you are interested, I can send you the .fxml file and the .fms file of a saved flight that showed no problems before.

I certainly understand your frustration my friend.  We're not recommending the Tutorial Flight because we want to be rid of you, just that in the past a LOT of very similar questions/issues you raised were solved when the individual learned how to operate the Airbus correctly, especially those coming to the Bus from Boeings.

Also, since I am currently on the customer version and I'm not having any of the issues that you are seeing, my thoughts (and I'm sure those of Mathijs) were that your issue is more or less a learning curve thing, though were both always open to other possibilities.

May I make a small recommendation to help define the issue you're seeing better?  Why not come take a short CFD flight with me or one of our CFD Captains?  That would help us a lot in defining this better.  Our CFD Captains have the [CFD Captain] tag next to their names on Discord, and they are all really excellent and friendly people.  You may also catch me online there from time to time, though flight sim based work has been pretty busy at the moment.  The link to our Discord Sever is:  https://discord.gg/5axDPwa

Beyond that, I'm at a loss why you're having the issue in question.

NOTE:  We are aware of the saved flight issue.  Something may have been unintentionally broken in the code just before the last update and the team are looking at it.

• Aerosoft
3 hours ago, AMJBecker said:

Hi Mathijs and Dave,

How do you expect us to understand us to fully understand the issue you face (and not tens of thousands of other customers() unless we know the EXACTLY the conditions?  If you would document your complete flight with every single mouse command and key press (while providing us with the  historic weather data). we 'might' be able to recreate what you see.  But do not miss one single key press or one single mouse command. To avoid these issue we have the step-by-step flight. If there is an issue we are 99% sure it will show there. if you are not willing to use that as a benchmark there is not a lot we can do. 

I am sure you will feel that unacceptable but it is all we can offer. If the issue you see would be a issue in the code there would thousands of customers complaining. As that is not obvious we need to find out what is the issue YOU see and other customers do not see. 

Hey guys,

after some emotions, let's step back and be fair to one another.

First, of course I understand that it is hard or even impossible to deliver a solution to a reported problem, when the problem is poorly described. I would appreciate in such situations that Aerosoft asked for more and specific information and failure data. 

Second, I can imagine that many of the problems reported do not have their origin in the code, but in user mistakes. This is primarily applicable to novices or rookies. If the problem affects a general function and looks like a misinterpretation by the user, well, in this case, it makes sense to suggest to the user to follow the step-by-step tutorial.

I am not a flight simulation freak, but I am a rookie neither. I've gone through a long learning curve already. I successfully performed many flights before. I was very surprised that the reported problem occurred to me, particularly because (as I wrote above) the flight was a saved flight that worked fine several times before. I also supposed that the saved flight may be the reason of the failure, but unfortunately a newly created flight showed the same problem.

Of course, if the problem occurred for many users, I certainly would have found an appropriate thread. That only a few users are affected is quite obvious. What takes me aback is that the problem occurs in this essential flight phase and nobody else (exept Leo) seems to be affected. Nevertheless, there must be a cause for the problem.

Before I open a new thread, I always try to find hints or already given solutions that could help my problem fixed. That is the case here. What Leo describes looks exactly like what I am experiencing. (Even if Leo's problem description looks a bit cryptic for people who haven't experienced this, I at least recognized that it is like mine.) Full of enthusiasm that I am not alone with my problem and that I will find an indication, how my problem could be solved, I found your comments. This is why I was disappointed that much. Browsing through lots of threads I too often found your recommendation to perform the tutorial flight.

In how far would the tutorial flight help me? If the problem is reproduced, something is wrong with my installation, because you would certainly not deliver a code that does not even prove to work with this essential test case. If the problem is not reproduced, still something is wrong with my settings or installation, or may be the code, because the absence of errors for a test case does not mean that there is no error in the code contained at all.

In order to make progress, I provided some more information about the symptoms of the problem earlier. I hope this tells you a bit more about where the problem may be. I can send you some relevant screenshots that may further explain the symptoms, if that is of any value to you. I can also, as I offered above, attach the .fxml file and the .fms file of the saved flight that didn't lead to the problem before.

So, let's make progress together! Surely, you have my support, because I'd like to have my problem solved.

Was the saved flight from a different version (update) of the Airbus Pro? If so, that's likely the problem. We update different parts of the code including the DMGS which is changed on most every update.

Yes, Dave, the save is from an earlier version. I also thought that this could be a reason and tried to create a new flight from scratch, i.e. from Turn-Around-State. The problem is the same, unfortunately.

As promised, here are some screenshots:

The flight is from EDDK to EDDH. Take off is from runway 14L. 

Before take off

During take off

The switching conditions from PREFLIGHT to TAKEOFF phase should be satisfied, but the MCDU PROG page remains in PREFLIGHT

After take off

After THR RED altitude

The switching conditions from TAKEOFF to CLIMB phase should be satisfied, but the MCDU PROG page remains in PREFLIGHT, the MCDU PERF page remains in TAKEOFF

As you can see, on PFD the flight proceeds as expected. But on MCDU PERF and PROG page there is no phase switching happening. Have a look at the ND before takeoff and after THR RED altitude. It appears that the FMS does not capture the flight plan waypoints, but it recalculates a new path to meet them. Strange!

Can somebody see any setting that might give an explanation for this behaviour?

Screenshot of the pedestal and the overhead before take off. I don't think they are of any evidence, but I made them in order to provide a complete view.

I investigated more in the support database, whether somebody else has or has had the problem I'm currently having and found this one:

Luko0211 stated there: Das sieht für mich nach dem bekannten Problem mit der Inkompatibilität von 1.2.5.1. (Looks like a known problem regarding incompatibility (between A319 professional version) 1.2.5.1 (and P3D 4.4))

My A319 version is 1.2.5.3, and P3D version is 4.4.16.....

With this remark I updated P3D to version 4.5.13....

And this is the solution for this problem.

I'd like to make the following proposal to Aerosoft: In case of dependencies between your code and the P3D version, please give kind of a release note that prior to installing a new Aerosoft version an update to P3D is a prerequisite.

• Aerosoft

That is not easy because it means we have to change all files every time a new hotfix from Lockheed is available. I believe this will confuse customers even more.

All the aircraft we develop are only guaranteed to work with the latest update of windows, the graphics driver and the sim.

I understand. It makes things much easier for Aerosoft, of course. But a 13 GB download for P3D plus installation takes a lot of time. To do this prior to any Aerosoft update (which are very easy and fast) is quite hard. At least, when you know that there are dependencies, for instance, when Aerosoft utilizes new functions of a higher P3D release, it would help a lot.

Archived