Lukla Mount Everest Extreme - Any comments on performance?

edpatino

Hi:

Regarding the Lukla Mt. Everest Extreme, apart of adjusting the settings to what Aerosoft refers to in the manuals, are there any comments regarding the performance of this scenery with aircraft like the Carenado Do228 or AS Twin-Otter?. Average FPS?.

Cheers, Ed

• 4 weeks later...
On 10/22/2019 at 11:52 AM, edpatino said:

Hi:

Regarding the Lukla Mt. Everest Extreme, apart of adjusting the settings to what Aerosoft refers to in the manuals, are there any comments regarding the performance of this scenery with aircraft like the Carenado Do228 or AS Twin-Otter?. Average FPS?.

Cheers, Ed

Pardon my late reply.  I've now had a chance to do some flying around the Lukla scenery, and I don't notice any problems with performance.  I fly in the Lukla scenery using the settings as per the manual, which are actually pretty high in terms of autogen etc. BUT also note in the manual it recommends you turn off vegetation shadows.  I did this.   In fact, I saved a P3D settings profile called "Lukla" which has the settings Limesim/AS recommend in the manual.  This has given me good performance, i.e. I notice no stutters etc. smooth flight.

I have an 8700K @ 5.0 ghz, and a 1080ti card.  I run a monitor refresh of 30hz @ 4K and internal framerate unlimited, vsync on, triple buffer on.   Great scenery (within the limits of photoscenery)!

Here is a nice youtube vid for the scenery.  This vid would also be useful if you're learning the Milviz Turbine Otter.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9NskxSc2eg4

• Deputy Sheriffs

Rhett, thans for your feedback. As your system is at the upper end (except maybe the GPU ;) ), your are getting a quite good performance. As Mathijs and you already said, for others it really depends on the combination of hardware and settings in P3D described in detail in the manual. I myself have a Lenovo P52, with a quite good CPU and GPU, and which is also vry good regarding cooling (extremly mportant when using a notebook), I had to reduce the settings  a bit for Lukla. But this is in combination with SimStarterNG and setting up different profiles, not really a problem.

• 2 months later...

A couple of months ago I purchased my first VR headset (Oculus Rift S) and I never did a flight without since. The flight experience is so much more realistic than with a monitor and TrackIR that I simply don't have demand to go back to the flat image (I have a few hundred hours of PPL flying with SEP airplnes). I mainly do GA flying and the performance of my comparably modest system (i7 7600k and GTX1070) is quite good, even with relatively complex aircraft and sceneries. The only exception is Lukla Mount Everest Extreme. Usually I observe a frame rate hit of 10 to 30 % when I switch from flat screen to VR, but with the new Lukla scenery the FPS goes down by about 75%! In other words, this scenery is unflyable for me, even with less demanding graphics settings than those recommended by Aerosoft.

Has anybody similar experience with this scenery or possibly even a solution?

On 1/18/2020 at 9:46 PM, Flyfox said:

A couple of months ago I purchased my first VR headset (Oculus Rift S) and I never did a flight without since. The flight experience is so much more realistic than with a monitor and TrackIR that I simply don't have demand to go back to the flat image (I have a few hundred hours of PPL flying with SEP airplnes). I mainly do GA flying and the performance of my comparably modest system (i7 7600k and GTX1070) is quite good, even with relatively complex aircraft and sceneries. The only exception is Lukla Mount Everest Extreme. Usually I observe a frame rate hit of 10 to 30 % when I switch from flat screen to VR, but with the new Lukla scenery the FPS goes down by about 75%! In other words, this scenery is unflyable for me, even with less demanding graphics settings than those recommended by Aerosoft.

Interesting! I haven't tried VR myself but it would be very interesting for me as a developer to find out what causes the performance hit here.

First if all: Do those 75% happen everywhere when flying around in the coverage area or mainly when you're on the ground at Lukla? Does it improve once you get airborne?

Bests,

Sascha

Hi Sascha

I tried with even less demanding graphics and lighting settings and got somewhat better results. But the FPS still drops by about 50% when switching to VR mode. The situation is the worst at Lukla Airport, where I get around 18 FPS. But the performance is generally quite low in the whole scenery area, possibly due to the photo scenery.

Regards,

15 hours ago, Flyfox said:

Hi Sascha

I tried with even less demanding graphics and lighting settings and got somewhat better results. But the FPS still drops by about 50% when switching to VR mode. The situation is the worst at Lukla Airport, where I get around 18 FPS. But the performance is generally quite low in the whole scenery area, possibly due to the photo scenery.

Regards,

Photo scenery shouldn't have any noticeable effect at all. I could only imagine that level of detail settings (LODs) are treated differently when using a VR, causing airports further out to become loaded and visible while they actually shouldn't (e.g. Syngboche and Phaplu should not be loaded when standing in Lukla, but only about 1-2kms out Lukla in either direction). Unfortunately P3D doesn't allow to set fixed distances for visibility of objects but only LODs. And those are treated differently with unusually large screens (a VR is nothing else for that matter).

Archived