Intercepting localizer and runway heading

Detail50

I have been trying to run  this pattern and have one issue I just can't seem to get the logic together on.   I'm flying this pattern (or trying to) to fly approaches.

I'm flying A320, no flight plan filed, VFR, but with ILS info entered in Rad Nav.

I takeoff and fly perhaps a mile from the end of the runway, then execute a 90 degree turn to the right and then another 90 degree turn to the right,   I fly back past the runway on a parallel course.

I continue flying until the indication on display shows I am well below the glide path.   Once I achieve that condition I turn to the right to try to intercept the localizer.  My thinking is that I will fly to the localizer with the proper buttons pushed and that the plane will turn at the proper time onto the heading once it is intercepted and then I fly down the heading to make my approach.

I've tried all kinds of button push combinations and intercept angles, but no combination or angle gets me lined up correctly, nor causes the plane to automatically turn onto the proper heading which in this case is 58 degrees.   I've been successful a number of times, but only by using a outside view to be able to make the turn onto the runway heading visually looking at the view at approximately the correct time.  I feel l,like I'm doing something basically not correct, can someone help me with the proper logic and keystrokes?

Archived