P3Dv4 "stops working"

tonyc

I have made plenty of flights in the CRJ with no problem except the occasional hanging around busy scenery like Like but it usually recovers ok after a short time.

For the second time though it has completely crashed P3Dv4 with an error saying "Stopped working".

I was an hour or two into the flight and I did notice beforehand when looking at an external view the scenery from 35,000 ft did look unusually blurry. Perhaps this is a clue?

I am really not technical at all when it comes to PC stuff but I did get this from my W10 "Event Viewer". Any help gratefully received!

Prepar3D.exe
      5bfdbb35
      KERNELBASE.dll
      86aa4cf5
      c0020001
      20d4
      01d58290df0f9f8a
      C:\Program Files\Lockheed Martin\Prepar3D v4\Prepar3D.exe
      C:\WINDOWS\System32\KERNELBASE.dll

7c00dce5-0f34-4297-96c5-b30439a42012

• Developer

The error message from event viewer contains the error code 0xc0020001 which stands for Invalid String Binding. This is an errorcode from the .NET Framework which isn't used by the CRJ (unmanaged C++ code only. No .NET), so it's likely something else. If the exterior looks blurry, it might mean that either the CPU or GPU is running at its limits. It's also possible that you run out of video memory.

It's really hard to contribute anything helpful here. I've never got this error myself.

If you use an older P3D version than 4.5 Hotfix 2, updating might be worth a try.

Thanks Hans 

I did upgrade my PC this year but kept the old CPU so it could be that I suppose. I am still using 4.4. Didn't upgrade to 4.5 as yet!

Tony

It is most likely the cpu being overloaded.  Blurry terrain is a sign of the cpu being overloaded (the terrain loading in P3D is heavily multithreaded now).  When the cpu can't keep up with demand, in an attempt to maintain frame rate, it starts dropping texture loading first...hence the blurries.   Something was eating your cpu cycles for that to happen.  You can discover what this is with Task Manager, Perf tab, and app tab.

You didn't say what cpu you have, but, suffice it to say, if it is a 4-core then it is not difficult to oversaturate 4 cores with P3D. 

Eventually, the sim could potentially drop out (CTD) if the thread saturation continues.  The KERNALBASE type of errors are generally cpu-related.

Thank you Mace that is really helpful.

My "original" CPU is an Intel(R) Core (TM) i7 CPU 3.50 Ghz with 24 Gb RAM.

I know my GPU is man enough as it is a fairly new NVidia GeForce GTX 1060 with 6 Gb memory.

I am not a techie unfortunately and like everyone else right now I am loathe to spend more money on my flight sim PC until MSFS 2020 comes out and we can all see just what our future platform demands are going to be. However if it needs upgrading then that is what I will have to do.

Thanks again chaps. This is really helpful stuff.

Tony

• Aerosoft

The new MS sim will be hard on hardware, most certainly in the GPU.  Just look at the video's and you see how many elements are being drawn.  For sure it will run on a 1060, but also for sure not at max settings. 

As this is the start of a whole new product, Microsoft will do as anybody with a brain would do and design it for hardware that is now top-end, but will be more affordable in 18 months.

Thanks Mathijs that again is a very sensible view.

I was in contact with a well known developer (not one of yours but equally well known) who made it very clear that certain major scenery projects will not now go forward until 2020 is released. It seems to very much reflect the feelings of so many of us on the "customer" side who have spent already large sums of money "upgrading" from FSX to P3D or X Plane and now see this apparently amazing product coming out next year (from past experience I guess we all expect that to be the end of that year rather than the beginning!). So look at it from our perspective. Most of us are bound to keep our money in our pocket until this arrives which really isn't good for those on the development or sales side of things.

I am the Ops Director in a fairly significant VA and have opened a thread in our forum on this very subject. It will be interesting to see people's views.

I was thinking only yesterday it is a bit like Brexit. Whatever or whenever the outcome a great many people will not spend their money until they can see whether they can afford it. An odd comparison I know but I thought strangely linked in timeline at least.

Just to go back to the original reason for this thread.

I managed my flight yesterday without a problem but turned off Active Sky (which I missed) and any of those sceneries I wasn't using. Even so over Northern Europe (probably because of Orbx EU the CPU was spiking up to 100% then settled down to 20 to 50%. I tried a flight before switching off Active Sky and the other sceneries where the CPU was running 90 to over 100% once in the cruise over Northern European mainland and ultimately crashed. My GPU was fine with constantly around 20 to 30%.

Now I didn't have this problem until recently and so I am guessing the CRJ virtual has high useage but I also heard from a good friend who has been having a similar problem that a Windows 10 update in the last week, or so he had heard, was causing higher than normal CPU use.

Anyway I guess a new CPU will be required at some point though I am certainly not splashing anymore cash on P3D products until 2020 is out and we know what spec is required for it.

Thanks again everyone for the chat and advice. I really appreciate it.

Tony

• Developer

You wrote that your CPU is an i7 but not which one. If it's an original first series Core i7-920, then it indeed lacks the power to run P3D properly. The newer it is, the better P3D will work.

Before you spend money on a new CPU, you should try to reduce some settings to make sure, a lack of power is really the reason. If things don't improve with lower settings then a P3D reinstall (from scratch) might be a better solution.

Archived