The new kid on the block, Microsoft Flight Simulator...

Aerosoft Team [Inactive Account]

• Aerosoft

By now I think most of us will have seen the YT videos that were released today (for example https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Fj8h6yibHHc) and I assume everybody will have a lot of questions and comments. To avoid them being spread around, let's keep them in this topic.

Our point of view.... we are simply very enthusiastic and looking forward to 2020! Of course we have a lot that we can't say, I am sure you understand why, but it should all fill in some of the less understandable actions and shifts in developments since spring of this year.

The thing I hope is that the airbus professional series will be available for the new simulator.
The bad news, instead, is that I will have to change my PC :( ... the big problem is not the money ... is to convince my wife :)

vor 36 Minuten, Flavio1 sagte:

The thing I hope is that the airbus professional series will be available for the new simulator.
The bad news, instead, is that I will have to change my PC :( ... the big problem is not the money ... is to convince my wife :)

I´m sure that AS will give us the airbus series for MSF2020! Most of the "major" developers are pretty silent after those news about MSF2020....I think that most of them are fathom their possibilities for supporting this nextgen simulator..... P3d etc. will be dead next year!

• Aerosoft

We have always said we love all simulators and are the only company that sells addons for FS2004, FSX, P3D, X-plane and AFS2 (are there other flight sims that have a wide audience?) 

But we simply have to wait for the SDK to be able to know what we can do.

11 hours ago, Mathijs Kok said:

We have always said we love all simulators and are the only company that sells addons for FS2004, FSX, P3D, X-plane and AFS2 (are there other flight sims that have a wide audience?) 

Talking about SDK, is there a difference between developping a stock aircraft such as the A321NEO seen in the video (and I am absolutely not saying you did it or want to know if you did) and creating aircrafts as add-ons ?

Thanks

16 hours ago, Pao13 said:

Talking about SDK, is there a difference between developping a stock aircraft such as the A321NEO seen in the video (and I am absolutely not saying you did it or want to know if you did) and creating aircrafts as add-ons ?

Thanks

Now we know that the AS showing on the airplanes in the MSFS vidio was for Asobo Studio and not for Aerosoft (I was hopping that it was for Aerosoft) I am pretty sure Aerosoft is going to bring us their airbus series. Would we have to buy them again? 

• Deputy Sheriffs
8 hours ago, CmdrBestia said:

Would we have to buy them again?

Well, if Aerosoft have to invest time and money into bringing their products into the new sim, you can be sure that there will be a price tag on them afterwards. But of course Aerosoft has also always stuck to their principle that you will never have to pay twice for bits you already payed for. So it is safe to assume that you will find a reasonable update offer in such a case, just like with P3Dv4.

But just to clear: nothing is announced yet!

On 9/30/2019 at 7:16 PM, Mathijs Kok said:

The new MSFS? The big cities look fantastic, but the landscapes? If you fly low to enjoy the details then the trees look very ugly.

I can't imagine this would be a pleasure for me over a long time. If you fly in regular hights (let me say 2.000 - 3.000 ft AGL) to have a good compromise between good overview AND details, then I will surely prefer normal photorealistic sceneries. I hate these autogen buildings. For example they show a factory where there is a petrol station and a lot of other cruel errors. This is destroying immersion.

I love to fly over landscapes where I've been in real life. And I love to discover new regions. I want to see reality as best as possible, but I don't want to see a phantasy work that a computer has generated with autogen - like a Frankenstein monster.

Summary: I can well imagine to visit the mega cities of the world with the new MSFS, but I think after one year it will be boring. On the other hand I will keep my love to fly over photorealistic landscapes  - no autogen, only some landmarks and POIs allowed.  So I surely will keep my old sim and I will improve this sim continuously with new addons. Primarily, as I love the Alpes, I would buy good sceneries from the Italian Alpes, a new Switzerland and a better VFR Germany.

Since i and many others of MICROSOFT left us with two spans of noses, years ago, now, however beautiful they put it, I will NOT fall again, I started with the simulation with the simulator of 1982, even PROGRAMMED the simulator from scratch , you could do it by following the instructions in a book, I don't remember what it was called. I moved on to other simulators until I came across P3D, and from this I will not get out, I have already spent a lot to make it now come back from scratch, and MICROSOFT's attention to FSX users was deplorable

• Deputy Sheriffs
3 hours ago, Miguel_V said:

even PROGRAMMED the simulator from scratch , you could do it by following the instructions in a book, I don't remember what it was called.

Well so why do you not stick to programming the sim by yourself. You know exactly what you get and no need to blame others. ;)

• Aerosoft
21 hours ago, Miguel_V said:

, I have already spent a lot to make it now come back from scratch, and MICROSOFT's attention to FSX users was deplorable

It was indeed, but as you have seen, this new team is very very different. Extremely open and very much listening to developers (we can attest to that) and customers. This is also a much bigger project as any of the simulators they did before, much larger team much higher investment etc. So chances this will stay important are big. Also keep in mind that while MS did abandon the sim twice, they also produced them for several decades, making it one of the longest running games ever. 

With the new atmospheric model FS2020 is really interesting for glider pilots ... and the Aerosoft Discus and K21 being ported to 2020 would be the icing on the cake :)

Any chance?
Cheers

Keith

• Aerosoft
On 10/2/2019 at 5:15 PM, Miguel_V said:

, I have already spent a lot to make it now come back from scratch, and MICROSOFT's attention to FSX users was deplorable

It was indeed, but as you have seen, this new team is very very different. Extremely open and very much listening to developers (we can attest to that) and customers. This is also a much bigger project as any of the simulators they did before, much larger team much higher investment etc. So chances this will stay important are big. Also keep in mind that while MS did abandon the sim twice, they also produced them for several decades, making it one of the longest running games ever. 

14 hours ago, keithb77 said:

With the new atmospheric model FS2020 is really interesting for glider pilots ... and the Aerosoft Discus and K21 being ported to 2020 would be the icing on the cake :)

Any chance?
Cheers

Keith

Well, it sure seems VFR flying will get a huge boost with this new sim, so who knows?

On 9/30/2019 at 5:33 PM, maukro_1990 said:

P3d etc. will be dead next year!

I don't think so.

Sure, MS Flight Simulator will be popular, I don't doubt that. But I've said it before and I'm saying it again: the key to success in the Flight Sim world isn't quality. It's compatibility.

It doesn't matter how beautiful the new MS Flight Simulator will look, if the current add-ons aren't available for it that will prevent people from switching. People have invested a whole lot of money in their current sims and they ain't likely to give that up for a new sim on which all of their valuable add-ons don't work. They will stick to what they have, even if it's of lower quality. For obvious reasons flight simmers are very conservative in their choice of platform.

Looking at myself, I am watching the development of MS Flight Simulator but I sure won't be the first to try it, let alone switch to it. I'll wait for the add-ons to become available before I even consider trying it. That might easily take a couple of years.

And who knows, when P3D v5 comes around it might make all of MS Flight Simulator redundant like it did with Dovetail Flight Sim World. That wasn't a bad sim either, but still didn't make it because P3D already had the market. There's no guarantee MS Flight Simulator will make it.

On 10/3/2019 at 3:01 PM, Mathijs Kok said:

Also keep in mind that while MS did abandon the sim twice, they also produced them for several decades, making it one of the longest running games ever. 

True, but technically it ain't the same sim. It's a whole new development.

They sold the licenses for their old Flight Simulator program. The professional license went to Lockheed Martin who turned it into P3D. The entertainment license went to Dovetail which first became FSX Steam Edition and later Flight Sim World. With both licenses no longer in the hands of Microsoft, they cannot base it on the existing FSX-based sims.

With Dovetail no longer developing any continuation of their product after Flight Sim World, it is currently only Lockheed Martin that is still active in the continuation of the original Flight Simulator series that were once started by Microsoft.

• Aerosoft
On 10/4/2019 at 7:21 PM, PatrickZ said:

They sold the licenses for their old Flight Simulator program. The professional license went to Lockheed Martin who turned it into P3D. The entertainment license went to Dovetail which first became FSX Steam Edition and later Flight Sim World. With both licenses no longer in the hands of Microsoft, they cannot base it on the existing FSX-based sims.

Not true, they have never sold the license, only allowed others to license it. And during the press tour MS already said that the new project was built on the old code. 

Keep in mind I know a bit what I am talking about as we were competing for the FSX license with Dovetails. I know the conditions and the cost.

• 1 month later...

I am just wondering how Aerosoft sees the default Airbus inside FS2020, which can be seen on preview.

I assume the airbus series is a big part for Aerosoft and sure lot of development and resources been already spent on it. Do you see the default airbus as competition, possible risk to loose future buyers? I do not know the simulation level of default planes inside FS2020, only assuming they will be a step up compared to FSX. Just heard there will be MCDU, FMS, etc.
Maybe Aerosoft sold some part of code to Microsoft? ;) I am sure this info can not be disclosed (yet).

• Aerosoft

I am unable to make any statement about what we did or did not do but we really do not feel there is much overlap. We sure believe the default aircraft will be a lot better then in FSX (but that is a very low bar) but at the same time I doubt the default A320 Neo will even know the difference between Managed and Selected mode. And without something like that you simply can't make anything that is realistic in it's systems. 

We love the look of the externals though!

Indeed I would be happy to have "not too detailed" default planes. I think Microsoft should focus on the platform itself, performance and visuals. I am sure the development and simulations of individual planes can be done better by developers like Aerosoft, PMDG...just to mention the big ones :D

Also in my opinion if MS wants to have a reasonable priced FS2020 then they can't afford to develop very detailed (in system) planes.

But it is not only about planes, I think Hi-FI and REX can start to worry a bit more.

Anyway it is an interesting topic, as with all simulation platform it is somehow a complete ecosystem with various add-ons. Do not know how much MS want to step on the toe of add-on developers or they rather go to the direction to make a platform to make add-on integration even easier.

• Aerosoft

Making a detailed airlines in systems (like PMDG does) or in experience (as we do) takes many men years and hundreds of thousands of euro/dollar. After that you need 300 pages in manuals, support who can help people. It simply makes no sense for Microsoft to go into that market. To be perfectly honest, a lot of users would feel the product is buggy because they do not understand that you fly an A320 with the throttle in Climb ident until seconds before touch down.

I really loved the Aerosoft Airbus. Since I am on XP 11 for years, sadly, I cannot use them anymore. By far the best airbus aircrafts in terms of visuals, system depth and many features that adds to the immerson. I would love to fly these birds again in MSFS2020 again. I hope we will not have to wait tooo long after release of MS20 to get this aircrafts to our hands. Will be a day one purchase. Just waiting patiently. 

Archived