Low Approach and Landing Speed Calculated

scotth6

HI,

Today I flew an approach in to EGLC.  I was flying the ILS 27 approach from a STAR.  Everythig went according to plan apart from the calculated speed.  I actually noticed when setting up the landing data that the calculated landing speed was 69 knots and the approach speed was 74 knots.  Of course I thought these sounded very low.  I decided to let the aircraft fly the approach without correcting those figures, to see what would happen, and of course it ended up with the speed dipping below the minimum allowed and the TOGA Lock kicking in.  The aircraft almost stalled, but did not, and I ended up disconnecting the auto throttle and landing it, probably way too hard, and probably broke the landing gear!

Why would these extremely low speeds have been calculated?  Would it have something to do with the steep approach to EGLC, which has an ILS slope of 5.5 degrees?

Cheers,

• Deputy Sheriffs

Hello Scott,

That sounds very strange to me. Could you enable logging and maybe try again to recreate the speeds on that same approach and attach the log files (whole Data folder zipped) so we can take a look if they provide any information what could cause this issue.

Hi Secondator,

Thanks for the quick reply.  I tried a few times to recreate the speeds and kept failing, and then I had a realisation.  I was doing testing of an airport scenery at the time, so was departing and arriving at the same airport over and over, and so I was quickly entering data during a very brief preflight setup.  I must have missed the step of entering the ZFW on the second page of the INIT section one time.

I am now doing a flight where I have deliberately left out the ZFW entry, and indeed it has recreated the low speeds.  Sorry about that.  It was user error.

Please login to display this image.

Cheers,

Archived