Approach changes mid-flight--how to?

So I was flying along happily from KSTL to KMEM.  ATC had told me to expect ILS 36R with BRBBQ3 STAR, which was programmed in.  About 100 miles out, ATC informed me that the approach was changed to ILS 18R, same STAR.  When I programmed in the new approach and verified that I would be on the same STAR, once I confirmed it, everything went belly-up.  All of a sudden the engines went to idle and most of my route disappeared, being replaced by PPOS to the first waypoint of the ILS approach, with a discontinuity inserted.  I was expecting to keep all my STAR waypoints and then maybe have to clear a disco between the last STAR waypoint and the new approach IAF or transition. 

This buggered up my flight and I just quit in disgust.  How does one change an approach without this nonsense?

KMEM CHUUC5 MYERZ WHOLL BRBBQ3 ILS36R (vectors) originally.

Enroute change to ILS18R caused STAR waypoints to vanish and inserted a discontinuity between PPOS and the first waypoint of the approach.  Caused engines to go to idle.

A321 variant

• Deputy Sheriffs

I just did a quick test for this. I was unable to recreate the issue. First having KMEM ILS36R selected with BRBBQ3 arrival and WHOLL transition. After waypoint BRBBQ (about 90 miles from KMEM) I changed the runway to 18R and left STAR and TRANS as they were and the flightplan sequenced itself correctly. So it's a little bit weird one what happened on your system. Are you able to recreate it? What navdata are you using? Does reinstall help?

Thanks for looking into this.  I'll try again this weekend and see what happens.  Maybe I did something wrong. 

I am using Navigraph latest download for navdata.  I haven't tried a re-install.   My guess is that there isn't anything wrong with the software--just my procedure.

Archived